• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have multiple questions and I’ll try to put them as succinctly as possible.
    Background: I have a Bersa 380 which I enjoy shooting a lot. Almost everyone I take shooting loves it too. I sometimes carry it, but mostly just target shoot with it at the range. I have some ammo stashed away, but have gotten so frustrated with the availability of the 380 ammo for it recently, that I find myself shooting it less. But, it shoots so smooth and easy, that I want to shoot it more. My only real handgun comparison is my experience with my G27 which is much snappier and more powerful of course. Different in every way.

My next purchase will be a full size 9mm. I’m working to save up for one, but have gotten so frustrated with the 380 ammo availability that I have considered accelerating my purchase by selling the beloved Bersa.

Question: I have read a lot about the stopping power of the 380 versus 9mm, so my question isn’t so much about that. I know the 9mm is better, to varying degrees, for stopping power and personal protection. What are people’s opinions and experience here with the 9mm and 380? What about shooting a 9mm handgun compared to a 380? I know the handguns will vary in their shooting and recoil based on their style and manufacturer, but is there a general answer such as the 9mm is more similar to the 380 or more like the 40 cal?

The 380 ammo seems to be a very popular caliber for the many pocket pistols and back-up pistols. I know I’m not the only one looking for it constantly. Does anyone expect that production for this will ever be ramped up to catch up with demand or will the standard 9mm production always take precedence?

Any advice or insight would be appreciated…

:popcorn:

Last edited:

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    .380 is a good caliber for a pocket pistol. I carry my Ruger LCP everyday. But the 380 is no match for 9mm or .40 s&w. I suggest you try out a few 9mm or .40 handguns out yourself so you can feel which one you shoot better. My HD and SHTF gun is a G19 with night sights, TLR1 and enough 17rd mags to fill a room. But my opinion is just one of many that you will get on here.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    9mm is from my understanding the most widely used handgun ammo in the world. (not including .22LR) Second, don't loose sleep over stopping power, if you look at the difference btwn 9mm and 45 acp you will see that the cavitation isn't significant, so the .380 and 9mm would be even smaller.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iscussion/54284-myth_of_knock_down_power.html

The internal damage is generally called Cavitation and the damage depends on if it hits soft organs or hard organs. It also matter what else it hits, if it tumbles, or divides, or plays plinko.

ballisticslarger5465nl1.png

A Critical Choice
    HG_criticaldef_200903-A.jpg

Most of my GSW patients have had hardly any blood and there was no stopping power. Minus my self inflicted ones. Think of the external damage as this. Paper punching. The hole is generally all the same. But cavitation is a direct influence on both mass and velocity. And the result is a temp. cavity that expands (destroying tissues) before closing.

Last edited:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    If you really want to get rid of the Bersa because of the 380 ammo in short supply consider a small 9MM that you can pocket carry if you so choose. I will carry the taurus slim sometimes when I want more then my 380 and yet it still fits in my pocket. However I have seen the 380 coming around from time to time in the local gun stores so its just a matter of time if you just hang on. How long I'm not sure.

picture.php

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    If at all possible..I'd just like to say that maybe you should hold onto that Bersa that you enjoy shooting so much instead of selling it to get a 9mm, partially out of frustration of finding .380 ammo.

9mm and the guns that shoot it aren't going anywhere soon. I'm sure that many Ingo'ers have a gun that they've sold off that they regret.

I don't know what to tell you about finding .380 ammo...it's a problem a lot of people are having though. It's easy for me to say, since I'm sitting on plenty of .380, but I'd just suggest trying to hold out and keep saving for that 9mm instead of selling a beloved gun.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    .380 can be found. Gander Mountain had some today for $20/50 rounds. not the greatest price, but cheaper than what most members here sell it for. ;)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    accelerating my purchase by selling the beloved Bersa.

that quote alone tells me that you will kick yourself in the but for a very long time if you sell the bersa.... they are great guns and will only get more expensive in the future.

as for the availability keep checking online and find some instock... if you look often enough you will find it for a good price... also check your walmarts and miejers daily and you WILL find some, you just have to be persistant.

as for the stopping power? its more about shot placement... a gunshot to the leg is not lethal with either a .380 or 44 mag (unless you hit an artery) same goes for a shot to the heart, you get hit in the heart or head with either round your dead. the only differance is going to be SHOCK value of the round... the 9mm is going to be more noticable to the person getting shot.

would you like to get shot with a .380?

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    DUDE ..

Do not sell your .380 ...just chill ammo is slowly coming down in price ...

If you want a 9 or a 40 .( personally i like the 9)
    save for it and buy it ....

The taurus 709 is a nice gun for a cheaper price .

you will hate yourself if you sell the bersa
    :patriot::twocents:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have a Bersa and must admit it's one of the best guns I ever traded for. It's great to carry in the summer and I always figure I can hit with it so it beats throwing rocks.Now that the big ammo crunch is coming to a close I've been told that the companies are going to start working harder on the 380 ammo shortage. I also have a Beretta Cougar in 9mm and it is a sweet gun to shoot. The way it is made it actually has less recoil than my Bersa. Weight has alot to do with how bad the recoil is so if your looking at a mid sized 9mm, I don't think it will be any worse than the 380.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'll throw in my :twocents:

I'm not an expert on the subject, but by looking at the above chart, I tend to agree with redneckmedic. If you hit a BG, he's likely gonna stop. If not, you've most likely got more rounds in your magazine for him. Ultimately, it ain't the gun; it's the operator. Shoot the right spot, and he's gonna drop.

Having said that; do what you think is necessary with the .380. I've sold off 2 of my .380's for this same reason. I didn't buy my .380's to sit and collect dust, and there's no way in hell I'd pay .40 cents per round for a shorter version of the 9mm cartridge. .380's sitting in my safe with no ammo are as useful as a car with no tires. If/when the ammo truly comes around again at a reasonable price, maybe you can buy them again, but for me - lessons learned. I'm stockpiling one hell of a collection of ammo for every caliber I own, except for .380.

The nice thing about selling off a Bersa is that you're not going to lose a ton of money. If it helps you get what you want sooner, then go for it - if that's what you want. Just make sure you like what you get in its place!

If it won't kill you to save up for a bit, maybe it's worth waiting and keeping the Bersa. As Indygunworks said, the guns certainly won't get cheaper going forward.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    .380's sitting in my safe with no ammo are as useful as a car with no tires.

I've got two cars with no wheels :D (spare race chassis for if/when I wreck my primary)

Place an order somewhere that backorders and honors the original price at the time of order. You'll get your ammo eventually. Or buy a case from Precision ($300/1000rd - get it quickly but same price as retail new) A couple weeks ago I got a package of .380 that I ordered back in April. $13.89/box.

I wouldn't sell based on ammo availability. Nor would I sell a gun I truly love which is how it sounds with your Bersa. Save money and buy the 9mm unless you're committing to the new gun i.e. you love it as much as you did the Bersa.

If you like it, keep it or you're going to re-buy it in the future and probably at a greater cost to you.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    There are 5 boxes of 380 at gander in castleton. (target) fyi. Hold the bearsa. Sounds like you like it.....Pm me if your wanting ammo i have some.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What are people’s opinions and experience here with the 9mm and 380? What about shooting a 9mm handgun compared to a 380? I know the handguns will vary in their shooting and recoil based on their style and manufacturer, but is there a general answer such as the 9mm is more similar to the 380 or more like the 40 cal?

Hi,

To attempt to address a few things in your Original Post.

While my experience with the .380 is highly limited (only 6 rds from a keltec P3AT), I do have some experience with a Polish P-64 in 9mm Mak.

Design and operation wise, your Bersa and that P-64 I used to own are VERY similar handguns. The major difference being the all-steel construction of the P-64 vs. alloy frame of your Bersa.

Also, the 9mm Mak is a slightly more powerful round than the .380.

(.380ACP is also called the 9x17. 9mm Mak = 9x18. 9mm = 9x19) For standard loadings, this is how the "power factor" is from least to greatest.

I'm going to go go out on a limb and presume that a 9x17 cartridge out of an alloy framed pistol = 9x18 cartridge out of an all steel pistol in terms of felt recoil.

Now, going strictly in terms of felt recoil to ME, I found that a G19 with standard pressure ammo felt GREAT to fire as opposed to that danged P-64.

So, going 2 steps up in power to a 9x19 - firing handgun, I'd say go with a G19. It might very well be MORE comfortable to shoot due to the grip filling your hand better and a somewhat low bore axis that leads to a more straight back recoil impulse rather than a muzzle-rising flip.

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Hi,

To attempt to address a few things in your Original Post.

While my experience with the .380 is highly limited (only 6 rds from a keltec P3AT), I do have some experience with a Polish P-64 in 9mm Mak.

Design and operation wise, your Bersa and that P-64 I used to own are VERY similar handguns. The major difference being the all-steel construction of the P-64 vs. alloy frame of your Bersa.

Also, the 9mm Mak is a slightly more powerful round than the .380.

(.380ACP is also called the 9x17. 9mm Mak = 9x18. 9mm = 9x19) For standard loadings, this is how the "power factor" is from least to greatest.

I'm going to go go out on a limb and presume that a 9x17 cartridge out of an alloy framed pistol = 9x18 cartridge out of an all steel pistol in terms of felt recoil.

Now, going strictly in terms of felt recoil to ME, I found that a G19 with standard pressure ammo felt GREAT to fire as opposed to that danged P-64.

So, going 2 steps up in power to a 9x19 - firing handgun, I'd say go with a G19. It might very well be MORE comfortable to shoot due to the grip filling your hand better and a somewhat low bore axis that leads to a more straight back recoil impulse rather than a muzzle-rising flip.

-J-

the bersa thunder and g19 are apples to oranges... differant guns for differant purposes with differant designs and differant costs.... if you are buying a g19 to fill the role of your bersa and dont expect to make some sacrifices on weight and concealability then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    All excellent points and all well taken. I think it comes down to the fact that I need/want to have two different guns. :draw:

I like the Bersa and don't want to sell. I just need to be mare patient about the ammo and shoot it now and then.

I still plan to save up for a full or mid size 9mm. I thought I'd get more pressure/support/opinions to hurry it along in that direction, and I may have listened, but I'm glad to get the feed I did.

BTW, I bought the ammo they had at Gander by the way, so thanks for that tip as well...;)

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestion as always...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    the bersa thunder and g19 are apples to oranges... differant guns for differant purposes with differant designs and differant costs.... if you are buying a g19 to fill the role of your bersa and dont expect to make some sacrifices on weight and concealability then you are barking up the wrong tree.

Oh, I'm fully aware. I was just attempting to compare felt recoil to felt recoil. That's all.

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    TWICE as much 9 mm ammunition is manufactured worldwide than any other centerfire pistol ammunition.

.380 acp is down several spots on the production list behind .40, .45, and .38/.357 (in no particular order). Couple this with the recent surge of new handgun owners (who tend to gravitate to smaller cartridges), and the recent popularity of some nifty little .380 autos (P3AT, LCP, etc.), and you'll understand why 380 is hard to find, and more expensive when you do find it.

Are you concerned about recoil with the 9mm? It sort of sounds like it. If you're an average size person in decent health don't worry about it.

Top Bottom