• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I did a search (to the best of INGO's ability) and didn't see the answer I was looking for. I just picked up an LCP and some Hornady Critical Defense. I got to thinking though, would FMJ be a better choice for penetration for this caliber? Winter clothing will be upon us in a few months and I'm wondering how well a .380 will penetrate. Any thoughts?

MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Im curious to see opinions on this also. Ive pondered this myself since picking up a p238. Ive carried FMJ in it for the penetration factor, but carry JHP in all of my other carry calibers.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    IMO I would say hp in a +p. I would look at the buffalo bore ammo. They make a 90 grain bullet go 1200 ftps for the 380 auto. I'm sure that's enough to go through a jacket and still get decent penetration and stopping power.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Buffalo Bores +P stuff might beat up a small gun like an lcp or keltec.

btw, there is no sammi spec for +P for 380acp. So take that as you will.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When I picked up a couple .380's (Bersa Thunder & Kel-Tec P3AT), I did alot of research on that very matter. After reading many pages of information on .380's for defense I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have guaranteed stopping penetration versus more expansion. I'm confident I could stop a perp with 7 or 8 rounds. The only reason I've occasionally tried Bonded HP's is when I've been concerned about over-penetration when I've been at crowded areas & needed to take that into consideration. 75% of the time I carry FMJ in my .380's with an added bonus of guaranteed reliable feeding in my Kel-Tec which is normally finicky with hollow points. The Bersa eats everything.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Although I haven't done it, I have had one person recommend to me that I load every other round. Load 1 HP, followed by 1 FMJ, then 1 HP, then 1 FMJ, etc. That way, even if winter clothing/leather jacket is enough to stop the HP, you'll follow up with a FMJ round.

Like I said, it makes some sense in theory, but I've never bothered to do it.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I use the Hornaday CD with my p3at. Feeds great never a problem, I started using it after reading about it having superior penetration to fmj .380. Something about the red tip stopping any clog and going through cloihing before expansion. :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never owned a .380. From what I have gathered from the internet and other sources. A few people have said if you carry .380 or smaller caliber to carry FMJ ammo. To make sure you get maximum penetration, since a HP will mushroom and actually slow down penetration.

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    I've got two 380s, an LCP & PPK. I carry Hornady CD in both of them. I think you will see in the video, penetration through winter clothes is not a concern of mine.:patriot:

Hope this helps in your choice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXSTqV0CT4[/ame]

jayeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    I would only carry an LCP when it is warm and you're not wearing clothing that would conceal something more powerful like a 9mm or maybe a lightweight J frame .38/.357.
    If I had to rely on the LCP I would carry Gold Dots or Win PD1s

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    these eats either one just fine.......i would think any gun that didn't it's got a problem....

27zgch2.jpg

x54j20.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom