• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've shot a .38 once. It was a small Colt revolver.
    I've never shot a .380.

Which is easier to shoot and handle?

I'd still like to find a smaller gun to carry besides my Glock 26. And am unsure which direction I'd like to go.

I'm pretty sure a .380 would be a bit easier to carry as a BUG, but I can see it being a tad bit difficult to shoot...

Thoughts?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Depends on the gun. Small, lightweight guns are a real bear to shoot, no matter what caliber. Often, those guns come in .38 Special or .380.

Out of a S&W Model 27 (N frame), .38 special is like shooting a cap gun.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I have one of each a .380 Berea and a snub nose .38 Rossi. I would say I can see one any harder to handle. My Berea may be more accurate due to longer barrel. I have never shot one but heard LCP and Keltec .380 can be a little more to handle in a smaller lighter gun same with LCR .38 but there you scarafice comfort in shooting for lighter carry. Both of mine I don't find much problem carrying both fit inside jacket pocket with out notice. I would go to a range were you can rent and try both outside by aside.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    I've got a PK380 Walther that I think is like shooting a bb gun. It's a bit bigger than the Keltec or the Bodyguard but fits my hand great and is a joy to shoot. Pretty accurate too.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I have owned an LCR and do own a 380 and between the two I prefer the 380. 38spl packs more punch and in a gun that light it's more punishing to your hand. That may make 38spl the better defensive round but that wasn't the question that was asked...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I find my S&W Bodyguard .380 surprisingly comfortable to shoot. Granted, I have only shot 50 or so rounds at a session, but through those 50 I don't find it uncomfortable.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In the context of typical carry guns, most people would find the ergonomics of a "full-size" 380 (i.e. Bersa Thunder, SIG P232, Walther, etc.) to be better than the ergonomics of an "air weight" snub nose .38 revolver (i.e. S&W 442/642, Ruger LCR, etc.). That is, the former usually thought to be easier to shoot well than the latter.

Things change with the tiny 380s (i.e. P3AT, LCP, etc.), and the larger .38's (ex. steel w/4" bbl).

The smaller you go the more the ergonomics suffer, like with the P3AT/LCP.

Whereas a "full-size" .38 revolver is an easy shooter.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I've shot a Bersa 380 and a Taurus 38 UltraLite. There's not a great deal of difference, but the Bersa is more manageable. It just seems a bit more accurate - especially if you're shooting +p 38.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I've owned many 380's and own about ten snub 38's. A hot loaded +P 38 out of an air weight or scadnium snub is sharp! A 380 out of a Colt Mustang Pocketlite is a *****cat. 380 out of a P3AT is snappy, but controllable. 38 Special is much more powerful than 380 ACP, however you only get five vs. seven or so plus a quick reload with an auto.

A 380 auto is super thin and easy to conceal. A 38 snub is thicker but because of where it is thick it still conceales pretty well. I use both as needed (as well as a Kimber Solo 9mm) for pocket carry. Try both and see which one works better for you.

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    imo 38spl is way easier then 380acp. my wife has had both and would much rather carry a 38spl wheelgun. the 380acp has a pretty good pop since most come in a lightweight package.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Depends on the gun. Small, lightweight guns are a real bear to shoot, no matter what caliber. Often, those guns come in .38 Special or .380.

Out of a S&W Model 27 (N frame), .38 special is like shooting a cap gun.

Here is a good answer. .380 in a 20 oz gun is really comfortable, but in s 10 oz pocket rocket.... My airweight .38 special is a handful, but a nice heavy model 10 is awesome!

Since you are asking about small carry guns I will speak in terms of BUGs. I find a J frame Smith or Ruger LCR easier to shoot then the micro. 380s.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I've shot a Bersa 380 and a Taurus 38 UltraLite. There's not a great deal of difference, but the Bersa is more manageable. It just seems a bit more accurate - especially if you're shooting +p 38.

I'm not sure how many rounds you shot, but I own both of those guns and you run 50 rounds through each and you might decide there IS a great deal of difference.

Shooting an ultralight revolver with +P ammo is punishing, and after a box I can feel my palm throb. I'm not a lightweight by any means, I've shot many thousands of rounds of, 40, .45, .44, etc. Few have been as brutal as a +p round in a lightweight alloy snubbie.

The Bersa, however, is like you haven't shot at all. Recoil is basically none. My very recoil sensitive wife shoots it like a pro and has killed many pizza box lids at decent distances. However, she won't have anything to do with another cylinder with the Taurus.

Now, to the original .380 vs .38, it depends. If you run a .38 through a 6" .357 with nice grips, it's not nearly as brutal as in an airweight/ultralight/whatever. Comparing guns of comparable size, weight, and grip area though, .380 is the easier shooting gun as a rule.

dmazzio

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Danville
    Haven't shot a .380 but my wife's S&W 38spl Airweight is a quite a bit to handle putting a bigger grip helped a bit. It packs a hell of a punch especially with the +p ammo.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I have an LCP which is such an easy pistol to carry as a pocket gun. Or I carry it in a Fobus if I am bicycle riding. It's not an easy shooter or range pistol to shoot all day...it's made to it's job though as a small SD piece and it works for my purposes when I carry a .380

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I carry a Smith J frame usually, not bad shooting standard .38's but +P's are rough. I've have yet to shoot a little .380, I've almost bought an LCP a time or two just because of its size. I will say that my Smith 642 is roughly the same size as a G26, when I had both I compared them. One day I will get a G36 and get rid of my 642 probably. So if you're looking for a smaller CC than a G26 I would imagine something like an LCP or that itty bitty Sig would be better. :twocents:

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    The key to handling the little .380's is to get a good, fricative grip add-on. Some rough textured grip tape or a hogue grip on a little .380 like the LCP will make it night and day easier to handle than the bare plastic.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    My LCP really isn't so bad, but my S&W Chief's Special is downright comfortable. If I bothered to add t-grips I could shoot that thing all day long, but that's at the cost of weight and capacity. Consequently, the LCP gets the nod for CC in light clothing.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    My Taurus TCP in not uncomfortable to shoot and I prefered it over my S&W442. I have since sold the 442 and bought a S&W 640 which shows much less recoil. The Taurus is used for pocket carry, the 640 for owb carry.

Top Bottom