• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmw00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Hello all, I was just reading an article about converting 38sp revolvers to 9mm by machining the cylinders. If I understand correctly, 38sp pressure is around 20,000psi and 9mm is over 30,000psi. Can the guns really handle the 9mm pressure?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    .357 Magnum comes in at 35,000. In most cases, the only difference between the revolvers (.38 and .357, that is) is that the chamber is drilled 1/10 of 1 inch deeper. You may wish to verify equal cylinder wall thickness as well. If you are dealing with a traditional steel/stainless steel quality revolver (think Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Colt), the strength is there. Now that I am thinking about it, I believe one of Ruger's Blackhawk Convertible combinations was .357 and 9mm.

Please note that I am assuming we are not talking about anything polymer, titanium, aluminum, or of debatable quality.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Part of the low SAMMI pressure ratings for the .38 spl is because there are still 100 year old low grade iron revolvers that can chamber .38spl. Modern metal revolvers are not the limiting factor.

I have been told continuous use of .357 magnum in a medium frame ("K" frame) Smith and Wesson will loosen the frame. I shot pin matches for about three years with a Stainless K frame S&W using .357 loads. It was a 10 year old police trade in when I got it. Thousands of rounds between practice and matches. Mine never loosened up. I do not know how many it would take. I am sure a K frame smith will hold LOTS of 9mm.

Top Bottom