• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would have tried to refire the round... sometimes it will go bang in which time you will know its an ammo issue.... that said, if the revolver has had any action work done, sometimes gunsmiths will lighten the mainspring a tad to give it a better trigger pull... overtime the spring wears out quicker than a full power spring would creating light primer strikes.... can you put up some pictures of the back of the round so i can see the indentation the firing pin made? that would allow me to rule out a light primer strike...

Then i would also like to know the age and storage condition of the ammo, that might allow me to rule out storage IE. maybe it was set on a bench that had some penetrating oil or something on it... i would put several more box's through it before i would trust it as a carry gun as that should rule out anything mechanical related.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    50-posts.gif

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Had this happen with my cousin's model 36 but using Hornaday Critical defense. Only ammo we've ever had fail in that gun and the only issues before or since with that gun. My cousin emailed Hornaday and they want the rest of the box to test. We had 3 failures in 10 rounds. 2 shot on the2nd try. 1 on the third.
    OP You did the right if you waited for a hangfire before removing the rounds. I would have tried firign them again. Maybe just a primer issue??

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    who the heck are you talking about... ME? Disposable Heart? clearly not the OP as he joined december of 08 and posted a LEGITIMATE post... he has a gun that had a misfire and is asking whats wrong....

:dunno:

I believe he was referring to a post that has since been removed. I don't remember the member's name but it was a one-liner that was irrelevant to the OP.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Was the revolver being fired in the double action or single action mode? If in the double action mode and the firing pin indentation of the failed round wwas thwe same depth asa the rest I think I would have tried firing it in the single action mode. The hammer falls with a bit more force in the single action mode and may have detonated the primer. If this occurs again you might think about a new mainspring.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is why we all practice malfunction drills. I was issued a box of factory 124 gr, 9mm +P by a local PD for my issued Glock. One of them did not have a primer. Even factory ammo is not perfect.

Back when we were issued S&W 15's, it was not uncommon for the Federal 158 Nyclads we were issued to not fire. The cure is to squeeze the trigger again until the gun was quiet, then reload and get back into it.

If it happens when you want it to go bang for real, I hope you and your friend don't worry about the hang fire thing. Just get the bad one out and a good one in and get the gun working again. JMO

Last edited:
    Top Bottom