• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kodiak-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Looking for a good load for my H&R Handi in .357 Max. Currently shooting 28grs of 1680 and the Horn. 180 gr. SSP bullet. I have some 158gr Rem. JSP's, 140gr. FTX. Powders AA1680 and W-296 on hand. Not real satisfied with the performance of the SSP bullets.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IMO, you're doing about as well as you can with the 180gr SSP and A-1680. What is it that you don't like?

How full is your case? You might try to get another grain or two in there... right up to the base of your bullet or maybe a tad more... this will depend on your rifle's chamber and seating depth... if you are seating to the cannelure, you probably won't be able to fit 30gr, but you might be able to fit 29gr. The good thing about A-1680 in the Max is that it's almost impossible to overcharge the case.

Are you applying a firm crimp? None of the magnum powders will work particularly well without it. Also accuracy can be charge sensitive (especially H110/W296... so I've heard); powders like to work at a certain pressure, and outside that zone groups can open up. Crimping helps in that regard as well.

You can try H110/W296 and see how it works for you... you might also try H4227 or Lil'Gun.

I don't have a Max but I've shot the SSP bullets and the 200gr FTX and both have excellent accuracy for me (1/2"-3/4" at 100 yards), but the SSP is designed for slightly lower velocities than the FTX... it's designed for best terminal velocity of 1600-2000fps, per an e-mail from Hornady. The 180gr XTP is a very accurate bullet as are all the other XTP's and Hornady bullets that I have shot. It also has two cannelures, which if your chamber can hold it, you can get a bit more powder space. (I couldn't find the design envelope of the 180gr XTP, btw.)

Before loading the 140gr FTX in the Max, you should send an e-mail to Hornady and ask them the design envelope for velocity, since that bullet was designed to perform at .357 Mag velocities. The 140gr XTP is listed at 700-1600fps. I'm not sure about the Remington bullet; I'm not familiar with it. Some of the JSP's were designed for the Mag, some were designed for the Max... the 158gr XTP-FP was designed for expansion at 1200-1800fps, which is Max territory (from a 14" contender... but you're going to get a few hundred fps more than that in a rifle).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I shoot the 180gr SSP from my 358GNR (a little bit bigger case) and have found the terminal performance of this bullet to be ideal, at these speeds. I know this is subjective, but I think it's the best option available, for the slower 35 caliber rounds.

Are you not happy with the velocity, accuracy, or what it does when it hits a deer? Without knowing why you're disappointed with it, it's kinda hard to make any other recommendations.

Have you checked out the 35 caliber bullet expansion tests on the marlinowners forum and at D&T gunsmithing? Lots of good reference points at both.

Kodiak-50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    D&T shows very little expansion with the SSP that is the reason for looking for a different bullet. Accuracy is great with it but I am looking for something with better results on the receiving end.

445supermag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Rising Sun, IN
    I HAVE A THOMSON CENTER G2 IN 357MAX RIFLE & HAND GUN I USED THE SAME LOAD I USE IN BOTH. I HAND LOAD WITH WIN. 296 20GR WITH SPEER 35CAL 180GR HCFN #2435. I GOT THIS OUT OF THE THOMSOM RELOADING BOOK I HAVE GOOD LUCK WITH LOAD. ALSO LOAGED REM 180 HP MAX BULLETS WITH WITH THE SAME LOAD IT SEEMS TO SHOOT THE SAME.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    D&T shows very little expansion with the SSP that is the reason for looking for a different bullet. Accuracy is great with it but I am looking for something with better results on the receiving end.

Yeah, I saw that too... Fortunately deer aren't made out of ballistic gelatin. :): The SSP has a long history of stellar results on deer.

Click here for results on actual deer... and photos of recovered bullets.

.357 Maximum » Guest Photo Page/ photos to steve@357maximum.com

tims-recovered-180-ssps.jpg

tom-parkers-recovered-bullet.jpg

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I noticed that as well, but I have to be honest with you...I take the testing done on the Marlin forums more seriously. Those 180gr SSP bullets have been loaded in 14" 35 Remington Contender barrels for decades and there has never been a problem reported with them. I shot a doe at 60 yards last fall with my 358GNR and the 180gr SSP...she went about 20 yards and that was it. Good penetration and big exit wound.

Now, I'm driving mine to ~2250fps, but they are rated down to 1800 or so. If you have shot a deer or three with yours and don't like how they've performed, there are certainly other bullet options available. The 158gr JHP from Remington seems to be a good choice, for the speeds a 357 MAX is capable of creating. As long as the distance is reasonable, they shoot plenty flat.

EzShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    the buck i shot this last season droped just fine with that exact load and rifle at about 40yds. he was shot through the ribs taking out the heart and lungs. the exit wound was about the size of a golf ball which tells me the bullet worked perfectly. the bullet is designed to expand between 1600-2400fps. if you get 2200fpsat the muzzle then its good to go out to about 200yards with speed near 1600fps and about 1000flbs of energy.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    the buck i shot this last season droped just fine with that exact load and rifle at about 40yds. he was shot through the ribs taking out the heart and lungs. the exit wound was about the size of a golf ball which tells me the bullet worked perfectly. the bullet is designed to expand between 1600-2400fps. if you get 2200fpsat the muzzle then its good to go out to about 200yards with speed near 1600fps and about 1000flbs of energy.

Which load were you using when you got this performance? The 180gr SSP bullets or the 158gr JSP/JHP?

Top Bottom