• ...and so much more!
  • MikeyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    North of Indy
    Here is the situation:
    I have a Smith and Wesson Model 66 .357 2.5" that I have had for years. I will take it out every once and a while to go to the range. It is a blast (no pun intended) to shoot but other than that I have no real use for it except for that it is the quintessential handgun. Too heavy to carry and not to easy to shoot.

What I am thinking about doing is selling it to buy a S&W .38 (442/642) or a Ruger LCR that I can carry if I need to. I currently carry a G27 which works fine. Also, my wife recently got her lifetime permit and this gun would be nice to have in the house for her if I was gone or for her to carry if need be.

So, I'm torn on whether I should get rid of my .357 or not. I should be able to get a pretty good buck with the ammo I have for it ($500-600) so I would probably come out ahead by a little.

I would love to hear your input on my situation either from past experience or just honest opinion. I would love to get some opinion before the Indy 1500 on the weekend of Aug 28.

Thanks in advance.

MikeyG

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    IMHO, don't do it. You have a beautiful piece there, and a great one for home protection. It is easy to use, functions reliably, and can shoot .38 if so desired. (Not saying all others or not easy and reliable, as I am a G27 carrier myself.)

But, as soon as you do sell it, it won't be long before you wish you had it back. It is much easier to save for another lesser cost item than to have to save and find one to replace that one. (Since you said you would end up ahead by selling, I can only assume your other choice would be less expensive and take less time to save for).

YMMV......but my :twocents:

mickar15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I know that this is not the answer you are looking for, but it's free advice, and as the man says,"you get what you pay for".:):

If you want another gun, buy another gun.....don't sell. Only sell guns that you don't like or don't shoot straight.

Think about collecting for the future. Your grandkids will thank you for it. That gun will never go down in value, and if you really run into tough economic times, then you could sell it.

Just my :twocents:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I carry my 357. Not all the time, but I do sometimes. And even if I didn't it does make a good house gun. I do agree that if you're not completely sold on selling than don't.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    SELL ME THE S&W 66! SELL IT TO ME NOW!! ;)

Of all the guns I've owned and sold, that is the one I miss the most! The most reliable HD house handgun you could ask for. Never any problem. Ate anything I fed it. Plenty of punch to do what ever job I asked of it. If you sell it, you will regret it one day. Mabe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon.

But on the upside, I could possibly be talked into visitation privledges. :dunno:

Do youself and your wife a HUGE favor. Keep the 66 and get the Ruger LCR as well. You'll both be glad you did.

Now excuse me while I mourn my loss and light a candle at my long gone S&W 66s' shrine.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    If you want a gun your wife can have at the house I would say you got it. Throw some .38's in the Smith 66 and let her have that. I totally see your point about the wieght for carry though. I have a Smith 442 and I love it

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I'd hate to see anyone part company with a 66, they are a really tough act to follow and you would miss having it. I may be of a little different school of thought on keeping versus selling or trading for a quality lighter carry piece with regard to the fact that if you don't have one, and the budget just wont allow it anytime soon, then your better off parting company with it and getting something to carry. The gun you left at home is no use at all if you find yourself needing it.

MikeyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    North of Indy
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to hang onto it for now. I think I'll take DesertDoc's advice and buy some .38 ammo for the wife. And if I fall into $450 I'll look into a 442 or Ruger LCR.

Top Bottom