.357/38 Lever Actions. What are my options here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    Dad wants one for Christmas. He wont shoot it often so it doesnt have to be the best of the best. If I had to guess, it will see less then 30 rounds a year. What are my options. Id like to stay around 3-400 dollars.

Thanks a lot.

Mike

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Winchester, Marlin, Rossi, or Puma. Those are all the options for crank guns that I know of.

I watched a show on cable where they pretended to build a cowboy handgun from scratch. Total BS, but maybe they will pretend to build a long gun for you. Sons of Guns is the name of the show.

I am done venting about that episode.

I want to find a Puma in 357 myself in your price range.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I've had no issues at all with my .357 Rossi 92. It's a good plain jane lever that's hard to beat for the price. Buds has them for a tick over $400

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    There's always Henry, as well. My dad has been wanting a .22 lever for a while now, and I was thinking of getting him one for Christmas. Me, I would probably go with the Henry.

But I can't say enough good things about the Marlins, though they might be unnecessary for your needs. Heard good things about the Pumas, and those would probably be best to save you some cash, and will more than hold up to any use he'll put it through.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Any 38/357 lever gun is hard to get right now because of hunting season. I always tell people to get them around March or April when the demand is low.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    For the price you listed, Rossi. There aren't many 357 Marlins out there right now since Marlin didn't make any last year, but I did see some of the 18.5" at the 1500 last month for around $600 which is probably as cheap as you can get new atm. If you plan to put a scope on it you may want to get a Marlin as they are scope drilled and tapped. $500 for a used (DEC's post) is a great deal if it is in good condition.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    There's always Henry, as well. My dad has been wanting a .22 lever for a while now, and I was thinking of getting him one for Christmas. Me, I would probably go with the Henry.

But I can't say enough good things about the Marlins, though they might be unnecessary for your needs. Heard good things about the Pumas, and those would probably be best to save you some cash, and will more than hold up to any use he'll put it through.

The Henrys look good with the brass receiver but weigh a ton.

Good for a wall gun but that extra weight makes for that "rode hard & put away wet" :horse: feeling after packing that thing through the bush all day.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    The Amadeo Rossi SA (pre-safety) Puma 92 in .454 Casull only weighs 5 pounds yet packs the punch of a .45-70.
    This gun makes no apologies to Marlin, Uberti, Chiappa, Pedersoli, Cimmaron or the original Winchester for that matter.
    It is made of much stronger steels (Rockwell 20+) than the "soft" steels of the old Winchesters and with the new magazine configuration it can be tube loaded like a Marlin 39A.
    Never saw an old Winny that would take the 60,000+ psi chamber pressure of the .454 Casull cartridge or that you could tube load and unload without working the action.
    I own 3 of these guns and they are smooth, accurate, strong & dependable.

Top Bottom