• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    As many readers know, the proposed IDNR rule to allow most “high-power” rifles for deer hunting failed to get NRC approval. Therefore, now may be time to “dust off” some old threads about Indiana-legal wildcats and shortened cartridges. For example, here is the link to a popular thread in 2014 (10 pages of replies with quite a bit of data and pictures) about the .35 Remington Short: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/333903-35-remington-short-1-80-a.html

As noted last year I found the .35 Remington Short to be very accurate in my Marlin 336. I even bagged a spike buck with it. It was a classic double lung shot at 150 yards. The 200 gr Hornady FTX bullet was a complete pass through, with the deer only running about 25 yards before piling up.

This year I obtained another rifle to try out with the same cartridge, an H & R Handi-Rifle with a very attractive camo finish on the synthetic stock. A few days ago I loaded some of the 200 gr Hornady FTX bullets that had shot so well from my Marlin 336. However, this time I decided to reduce my supply of a seldom used powder and loaded them with Accurate LT-32. I worked up to a respectable velocity that did not show any excessive pressure signs. That turned out to be 34 gr of LT-32 and it pushed the 200 gr FTX bullet at 2125 ft/sec muzzle velocity. Below is a picture of the first 5-shot group at 100 yards with this load. Counting the “flyer” the group was 2.25 inches center to center of the widest shots. Four of the five shots went into 1.10 inches. It looks promising, so I will load some more. Assuming the rifle continues to perform well on paper I plan to take it deer hunting in November.

Anyone else have questions or news to share on this wildcat/shortened cartridge?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Hello cedarthicket, good to hear from you!! Glad to see you are tinkering with a new project and looks like some good results. The deer better be careful in your woods this fall.
    I have not had any time this year to play around with my 336 / 35 rem short, will just have to use the load I put together last year.
    Is that rifle the same one Parson had up for sale recently? It is a nice looking setup.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Of all the Indiana-legal deer rifle cartridge/wildcat options, the 35 Remington Short 1.800" is the most practical, by far. You can use a factory rifle, factory dies, and published reloading data. Depending on your firearm and choice of components, you can shoot out to 200 yards, or thereabouts, with complete confidence. If you ever want to sell the rifle, or Indiana finally adopts sensible cartridge guidelines, you can easily sell the existing gun or start using factory/full-length cartridges.

It's a no-brainer, unless you're looking for 250-300 yard performance.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I will be in the field with my 35 Remington again this fall. I will be using the RCBS 35-200 bullet instead of the ftx is my only change from two years ago.

FTX on left and the RCBS bullet on the right.

Shot a doe last year with my 358 win at 220 yards. I prefer actually hunting them though and will be grabbing my 35 or 45 colt instead. Here is a pic of the recovered bullet and loaded ammo.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Man, that 358 is just barely hanging onto that big ol' lead cast boolit! :)

I'm sure it was effective, but I don't like recovering bullets...that means it didn't have quite enough energy for the 2nd hole, and easier tracking, if need be.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Djones, thanks for the post and pics of some of your work with cast bullets. They can certainly do the job on big game. Do you have any load and velocity data you could also share? I have a few gas-checked cast bullets that I want to try in my .35 Remington Short.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    NKBJ, that is a nice looking rifle you have there (Ruger No. 3 action?). I have not heard anything about the 38 Long Cox, but it sure looks like it would be right at home with the long neck for cast bullets. I am curious about the parent case that is used, as well as loading and velocity data.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I will still be using the same 1.6 358 BFG Ive used for years. Its built on a trued model 70 action with a match barrel, and MCM stock. I have not shot for groups since doing load development the year I built it, but it shot 2.5 inch 5 shot groups at 200 yds, so I see no need in continued development.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    This afternoon I fired 5 rounds loaded with a flat-nosed cast bullet (with gas check) weighing about 161 grains. Pushed by 11.5 gr of IMR SR7625 the 5 bullets strung vertically a very poor “group” of just over 2 inches at 50 yards. When the bullet was seated to barely touch the rifling the gas check was probably completely exposed to powder gases in the case shoulder area. So, I was not really expecting much in the accuracy department. On the good side there was not any significant leading of the bore.

After moving the target frame to 100 yards I fired a 5-shot group with yesterday’s load of 34 gr of LT-32 behind the 200 gr Hornady FTX bullet. (The bore was not cleaned or swabbed after shooting the 5 lead bullets.) The FTX group was actually slightly better than the group fired yesterday. Counting the flyer the group measured 1.83 inches. Four of the five shots went into 1.10 inches again.

Today’s shooting is another good indication of the rifle’s potential with the 200 gr Hornady FTX bullets. If I can get my hands on some 180 gr Hornady SSP bullets I may also try some of those. I have a few of the 200 gr Remington RN Core-Lokt bullets that may also perform well for deer hunting.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Djones, thanks for the post and pics of some of your work with cast bullets. They can certainly do the job on big game. Do you have any load and velocity data you could also share? I have a few gas-checked cast bullets that I want to try in my .35 Remington Short.

The 35 Remington has a charge of around 41 to 42 grains of LVR under a RCBS 35-200 that weighs around 212 grains.

here is the load data from the 358 win

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    NKBJ, that is a nice looking rifle you have there (Ruger No. 3 action?). I have not heard anything about the 38 Long Cox, but it sure looks like it would be right at home with the long neck for cast bullets. I am curious about the parent case that is used, as well as loading and velocity data.

Thank you. Conceived as a cast bullet hunting rifle, it's .375x45-70 with 9/16" long case neck to keep the great outdoors off of the lube. And yes sir, it's a No.3. My brother reworked the factory wood. The criteria was 200 yard accuracy and velocity sufficient for deer hunting. Sooner or later I'm working my way up to a hollow pointed paper patched heavy. Gives me something else to look forward to. :)

8+1mm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2013
    Laconia
    Hi guys this is good Info will by trimming brass for 35 Rem. to 1.79". Have 200 gr FXT,and 180 gr cast bullets.

Top Bottom