• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fniman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I'm almost ready to buy a battle rifle but I need some help. My gun owning friends have AR's and AK's and there is one Mini 14. Not wanting to look like a follower, I'm looking at .308's. The more I've read the more my head has spun. M1A1 vs FAL, milled vs stamped, DSA vs CETME, buy online or in a store plus how does it fit with 922r. I need to stay under $1000 but I don't want to buy a piece of crap that will need gunsmithing to fire. I don't need all the bells and whistles just a good weapon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I am not experienced in them, so I am the wrong person to ask. Soon someone that knows them will show up and give you good answers. I am an M1A and M-14 person.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Not an "FAL guy" but DSA has the best reputation. Unfortunately, your not going to get a DSA manufactured FAL for <$1000.

The surplus Austrian STG-58 has a good reputation. I think they list for over $1000 on the DSA site but you should call them... the website prices aren't set in stone.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm almost ready to buy a battle rifle but I need some help. My gun owning friends have AR's and AK's and there is one Mini 14. Not wanting to look like a follower, I'm looking at .308's. The more I've read the more my head has spun. M1A1 vs FAL, milled vs stamped, DSA vs CETME, buy online or in a store plus how does it fit with 922r. I need to stay under $1000 but I don't want to buy a piece of crap that will need gunsmithing to fire. I don't need all the bells and whistles just a good weapon.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Why try to reinvent the wheel just trying to prove you are not a follower?

My self, when I don't know something, I go out of my way to find some one who does know what they are doing and who has already SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED what I want to do. I don't need to hit my thumb to realise it hurts if I've already seen some one else do it.

I'm trying my darnedest to be polite and tactful here but this line of logic "not a follower" doesn't make any sense to me.

If they are really friends wouldn't it be worth something to have commonality among parts, repairs, knowledge, and ammunition?

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    For under 1000, you would be looking at a Century build Cetme or a Century or Hesse built FAL. I have an older Century build Cetme on a stainless receiver that gives me no problems. If you go to ; falfiles.com, militaryfirearm.com and join there sites, you could possibly find what you are looking for there. Century is also now selling brand new Cetmes, and Galils(sp?) for under 900.00 i believe?. You will love the .308.

fniman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Why try to reinvent the wheel just trying to prove you are not a follower?

My self, when I don't know something, I go out of my way to find some one who does know what they are doing and who has already SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED what I want to do. I don't need to hit my thumb to realise it hurts if I've already seen some one else do it.

I'm trying my darnedest to be polite and tactful here but this line of logic "not a follower" doesn't make any sense to me.

Hmmm, I thought that was what I was doing. Asking people who SUCCESSFULLY ACCOMPLISHED purchasing and owning a .308 battle rifle for information so I could avoid any mistakes they might have made.

So Jack, are you a fan of the AR or the AK?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Don't forget to factor the price of 1,000 rounds of ammo into the equation. 5.56 and 7.62x9 are cheaper. If you can't afford to feed it, then . . .

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think that Jack made some valid points. There is great advantage to having the collective experience of friends as well as parts and ammo commonality. Perhaps it isn't that you want to be a follower, but rather you want to do something different? The resualt might be the same, but the reasoning is different...thus giving a slant to what it is your looking for.

I too am interested in a few rifles in .308, not because I don't want to be a follower, but rather I like the idea of a "full" caliber type rifle, in addition or to compliment the rifles I already have. I am thinking of a bolt action .308 first though, but I have considered either the FAL or the AR-10 type platform.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I have, and do, own all three calibers mentioned here. The Ak is a great short to intermediate range rifle. The AR is great at all ranges, and is popular as a result but can lack in penetration power. The battle rifles in .308 are awesome and have hugely improved terminal power at longer ranges but are expensive to feed right now and many shooters have serious flinch issues as well as issues from the weight of these rifles.

I would advise that you get an opportunity to shoot a variety of them before making up your mind. And as for followers, each of them has adherents here on the site.

Cost can determine much of what you are going to do. At sub $1000, I would personally choose between two options:

1. Buy a decent AK from Henderson defense @$550, buy 400 rounds of ammo for $100 and use the rest of your $ for a carbine class. Know, however, that your range is only going to be good out to 250-300 yards or so for most uses. This is a great first choice.

2. Buy a nice AR in the $850/900 range and some wolf ammo from AIMsurplus. Come to an Appleseed and we will get you going with it. You will be able to go to 500 yards with it once you have practiced and worked at it. Be warned that you will end up over $1000 once you start buying stuff for it. And keep it clean. This is another great first choice.

I would do either of these first, but if you are determined to go .308, then I would get an FAL.

:twocents:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Go with the 30-06 and get an M1 Garand.... you know you want to! The CMP has M1's for under a grand. As a matter of fact, you could get a nice one for $500 or $600. And you can buy surplus 3006 from them too.

CMP Sales

Oh, yeah! Don't pass on this too quickly either, a superb choice.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    Current 308 semi auto style guns on the market include the M1A, FAL, HK91, CETME, SCAR heavy, AR10, KelTec RFB, PTR91.

But for under a $1000: FAL(non DSA), CETME

I have owned or shot the following: MIA, FAL, HK91, CETME

All were decent guns.

But I love the HK91 series. CETME is close to the HK series(it actualey predates the HK or HK is a refined copy, however you want to look at it)

CETME's can still be had fairly cheap. Anywhere from 500-800. And yes I have seen them lately at around 500, well at least one. So I know it can be still found.

But really you should hold any of these guns that you want to get, to make sure you like the ergonomics.

But I agree with, why not just get a ak in 762 or 556? You can get a whole lot more. And for a range of less than 200 yards it is a perfect gun.

But PM me if you want to checkout a HK91.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Lots of good info. here for you to think about so touch/read about as many as you can. I had a Colt Hbar good gun but I setteled for it because I always wanted a M1A. Sold the Colt. Have been researching ever since(4yrs) M1A, HK91, PTR91, AR10,FAL and Garands. I will be getting the Entreprise FAL in a couple of weeks.
    BTW PSS has a DSA Stg58, CETME and Garand in stock as of late last week, check it out.

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Not an actual "battle rifle" but I have a Winchester Model 100 in .308 that I am pretty pleased with. Around $500 to $600. Only downside is 4rd mag.

fniman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Perhaps it isn't that you want to be a follower, but rather you want to do something different? The resualt might be the same, but the reasoning is different...thus giving a slant to what it is your looking for.

Very well put.

techres thanks for your post as well.

I know generic questions get generic answers but here goes a follow up to my first question...

If you could only buy 1 semi-auto rifle and had a $1000 budget what would it be?

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    FAL for a first rifle is like hitting a home run your first time up to bat.

I would get the DSA FAL from Aim Surplus. It is 922r compliant as built.

.308 to feed the FAL can be had for around $8.00 a box of 20 from Aim Surplus (just not in stock at the moment but frequently is)....Brown Bear/Russian.

Top Bottom