• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There are some 110s made for 308 that can be reloaded onto 30-06.

Sometimes I pick off a yote while out hog hunting in texas. Using 308 and 150s they make a big splat.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    If it deserves to die there is no such thing as overkill. I will openly admit though that in my neck of the woods, which are swimming in yotes, the guy that kills the most is a feller that uses a loop snare. He gets five for every one that walks into a bullet. His she'd looks like a husky ate a bulldozer.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You'll kill them most decisively, but shot placement is still important.
    You can use the same rifle with one of the 110 grain "Plinker" bullets that Speer makes, backed with a roughly half full case of Unique and other powders in that category.
    The manuals have loads specifically for that bullet and others of similar weight.
    Naturally, your trajectory will be a bit different from what you'll get with the more typical 150-180 grain bullets, so you'll want to sight in with the load that you make up.
    It's a shame that Remington doesn't make their sabots used in their "Accelorator" factory ammo available to handloaders, then you could make your own loads with 50 or 55 grain .224 caliber bullets for your .30-06.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    You can buy just the sabots. A quick google search will locate eabco.com. They have the sabots. I have shot the factory ammo as well as reloaded them... And it all depends on the rifle. Some won't shoot them at all and some will put them into groups.

You'll kill them most decisively, but shot placement is still important.
    You can use the same rifle with one of the 110 grain "Plinker" bullets that Speer makes, backed with a roughly half full case of Unique and other powders in that category.
    The manuals have loads specifically for that bullet and others of similar weight.
    Naturally, your trajectory will be a bit different from what you'll get with the more typical 150-180 grain bullets, so you'll want to sight in with the load that you make up.
    It's a shame that Remington doesn't make their sabots used in their "Accelorator" factory ammo available to handloaders, then you could make your own loads with 50 or 55 grain .224 caliber bullets for your .30-06.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You can buy just the sabots. A quick google search will locate eabco.com. They have the sabots. I have shot the factory ammo as well as reloaded them... And it all depends on the rifle. Some won't shoot them at all and some will put them into groups.

I played with them years ago and just never had them shoot well enough for me to be happy with them. My brother had great luck shooting with them, somewhere he bought a seated die made to use with the sabots. I believe that helped with why he has better accuracy with his loads. I think I still have some of those old red sabots around.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The sabot stuff makes me a bit wary. Something about 30 cal doesn't work well with them.

The Army played around with the concept. It was called the M948 SLAP round. The problem the Army had was the sabots in 30 Cal couldn't stand up to the 4000feet per second that comes from shooting a 55grain bullet using a 7.62x51 powder charge.
    The sabots were disintegrating in the barrel. At best this leaves some nasty fouling, at worst this leaves a 22 cal projectile to gutter ball down the barrel. The Remington Accelerator had similar issues as well.

The Army and Navy DID have better sucess with the 50cal and 20MM saboted rounds. No idea why it works in 20MM and 50Cal but not 30 cal.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I used the factory Remington Accelerators in CO back in the '70's on yotes and prairie dogs. ~4100fps and over 2000ftlbs with a 55gr soft point. They worked just fine back then though I heard some folks had accuracy issues. Dogs at 200yds didn't seem to be an issue for us. I was using my Win 70 with a x4 Weaver at the time...same rifle I used for Bear and Mt Lion with different ammo of course.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I found this review on Midway from 2010:

"Where I live there are quite a bit of coyotes running around, and the only gun I have is a .30-06. I saw the .30-06 55 grain accelerator rounds and seen the velocity is over 4000 f.p.s it had to be a great varmint round. So I bought 2 cases of 20 rounds. Went home, tuned my rifle into the bullets and used the other pack for the hunt. Where I live off Norwood rd., there are 4 large fields, I set up an edge screamin' quiver rabbit decoy about 100 yards from my homemade ground blind. After about 30 minutes of the decoy yelping and moving around a large coyote came running right down the middle of the field. He stopped
    about 125 yards from me and I took the shot, nailed him right behind the shoulder. He dropped on the spot, didn't even run after impact! It was a 42 1/2 pound male. And the entry shot was small but the exit shot was a hole about 4-5 inches wide. Super performing bullets. Awesome expansion. Great ammo."

In other reading I see that it was Dem gun control drive that forced Rem to stop manufacturing them in 30-06 and .308. Apparently, they didn't like the fact that the sabot retained no rifling markings, but didn't object to the .30-30 because they saw that less likely to be used in crime.

It looks like if you want them now you'll have to reload them. I still have a box here somewhere...

Hunter's Luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom