• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    These guys were just stupid. Who would run a business like this. In Indiana, DNR is always looking for violators and they are very crafty

JamesZX1100

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    NE INDY
    Wow! That's about ridiculous! I honestly would LOVE to catch poachers on the property that I hunt, or just catch them period. I'm not tattle tale, but when it comes to poaching deer, I will tattle on anyones I see doing it!!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hold on these guys weren't organized crime, they weren't really shooting the deer out of your guys front yard,

Yes they were dumb for not following the rules for checking in deer. Sounds like they were not following the rules but they may have been managing the ground really well,

I'm not defending them so much as I'm anti-witchhunt.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Hold on these guys weren't organized crime, they weren't really shooting the deer out of your guys front yard,

Yes they were dumb for not following the rules for checking in deer. Sounds like they were not following the rules but they may have been managing the ground really well,

That's what I got out of it as well.:dunno:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

It is not a witch hunt, it sounds like you are not a hunter. If you were, you would or at least should clearly understand the many regulations they knowingly and intentionally broke. The same ones the rest of us bust our ass to follow, even when it may not be convenient for us to do so. Also, they did it for profit using natural resources that belong to all of us.

Honestly, to me it looks like they got off easy and Indiana is mild compared to States that rely on tourism money connected to hunting and fishing. Watch Swamp People and see how worked up they get about having to waste a tag on a gator that will get them zero dollars but they must tag it OR when they lose a tag and can not account for it.

I have to keep a handful of tags in my truck and tag those live birds just to take them on to DNR property to train my dog. I buy, transport, release and shoot the bird BUT if that WI tag is not on that bird before I release him, that dead bird will cost em dearly. At that point I am in deep trouble.

Usually people who do what these guys did over the course of multiple years are in fact criminals and doing a lot more then they got busted for.

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    nice way to turn this into a personal attack, I'm a hunter and been hunting probably longer than you've been alive. I've harvested every game animal possible in Indiana and have hunted out of state for other game.

If you read my post I admonished them for not following state regs but in Indiana it is almost impossible to follow the letter of every Law, Don't believe me take off your hat to scratch your head and you've violated the law.

I'm going off what TEXT is in the STORY in the Paper not what you want to add to the story. Guilty until proven Innocent I guess.

They weren't out shooting deer at 3am, taking the backstraps and rack and running like they do in my front yard in the Fall, (Thanks poachers) They Didn't check in properly.

Lets save our venom for the real poachers who shoot deer from the road and cut off racks, or the ones that sneak into our hunting spots and steal our stands and trail camera's

Lets Read the story and go off the information there.

Hope these guys get processed through the system and pay the fines for their mistakes not go to jail for the trophy buck you think you didn't get because some poacher got it.

It is not a witch hunt, it sounds like you are not a hunter. If you were, you would or at least should clearly understand the many regulations they knowingly and intentionally broke. The same ones the rest of us bust our ass to follow, even when it may not be convenient for us to do so. Also, they did it for profit using natural resources that belong to all of us.

Honestly, to me it looks like they got off easy and Indiana is mild compared to States that rely on tourism money connected to hunting and fishing. Watch Swamp People and see how worked up they get about having to waste a tag on a gator that will get them zero dollars but they must tag it OR when they lose a tag and can not account for it.

I have to keep a handful of tags in my truck and tag those live birds just to take them on to DNR property to train my dog. I buy, transport, release and shoot the bird BUT if that WI tag is not on that bird before I release him, that dead bird will cost em dearly. At that point I am in deep trouble.

Usually people who do what these guys did over the course of multiple years are in fact criminals and doing a lot more then they got busted for.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Yeah these guys were legally on private property and from all the charges, it would seem if they did the check ins properly all the kills would have been LEGAL.

This was an investigation that involved agents from different states and spanned over 3 years.

How many tens of thousands of dollars did it cost for a couple of Class C misdemeanor charges?

The article should read "Men charged with illegally tagging and processing deer".

Pathetic waste of tax payer money.

With all the illegal hunting done while trespassing why is DNR wasting time and more importantly money on this sort of nonsense? Why... probably because it's easier to snag some idiots over some technicalities rather than catch some actual bad guys.

For everyone responding with "I hope they hang", did you even read the article, or just the headline? These guys weren't out poaching anything.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Besides the fact one of them is a Reserve Police Officer, you know, sworn to uphold the laws, all laws, this is not just administrative mistakes on paperwork.

There is a butt load of willful violations over the course of years. Guys like this usually trade and sell in the game others are poaching.

There is a lot just in this paragraph:

"On Dec. 6, 2009, a whitetail doe was harvested on the SWIO property by another Conservation officer, who was hunting in a covert capacity as part of the investigation. Another officer claimed the deer and told Don Wile and Gregory Wile that he did not have a license or doe tags. He was given a temporary tag on the deer and told the next day they could put a tag on the deer in whose ever name they wanted, according to court records."

A some point, honor and integrity have to mean something. For me, the word Sportsman includes both and everyone has to hold the individual to account. Their actions affect all hunters the same way irresponisble gun owners killing kids affects public opinion of the 2nd ammendment.

It was also not their land, it was leased. I wonder if anyone else will ever get the chance to lease that land for hunting use?

It goes right along with the fantasy when SHTF people think they will live off the land. When SHTF, in short order there will be no game left, not even dogs. There will be no game managment, there will be no limits.

A lack of ethics is a downward spiral into justifying your actions. We don't need to do it for them, they already have.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    There was a reason why these guys were being pursued so hard. Period. If you are going to play the game you have to be able to pay up and they just got handed their bill so to speak. Might be chump change in the overall reason they were being investigated but...maybe the state couldn't spend any more time/money on the case. These were conservation officers and not FBI or State Police. These guys pursue crimes against wildlife so of course the 3 guys were not killing people or robbing banks. If they were other branches of enforcement would have been involved. Guilty or not is not for me or any of you to decide unless you get called to court to sit on the jury. I can 100% say that I will never be investigated this hard for game violations and I doubt 99% of us will ever be either.

As Hank Jr. sings in one of his songs "Don't give 'em a reason, to come gunning for you".

Top Bottom