3 carseat dilemma, how did you solve it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We are getting ready for the arrival of a baby this Friday and I have two vehicles that will be difficult to get three carseats across. One is a Ford Escape 2005 I believe, the other is a 2005 Highlander. I *think* we can do the highlander if I buy the Diono Radian RXT carseat, but I'd rather not buy 6 of them, though it would be easier than swapping two cars. The Escape I think is going to be too narrow. They claim 17" max width on those seats and I have about 53" of width between the doors on the Escape, but the latch attachments sortof dictate where the seat goes.

So... any thoughts? I could use the third row seat in the highlander for my 4yo but he'd have to crawl over the seat every time since both rear passenger seats would have a carseat latched in.

If you had 3 seats in the rear of your car, please post the model car you had at the time. Thanks :ingo:!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    th

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This is one of many threads that suggest the Escape has enough room for three car seats across.

Ford Escape three carseats is it possible - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Automobile & Child Passenger Safety Community Forums

For now, it's just our 3 year old daugher and an over exuberant 70 lb. Airedale. Goodness help us when we have another child.

thanks, I'll look into it. seats are cheaper than cars!

are you suggesting that the "ultra" lubricated version would help our soon-to-be adopted daughter slide her seat into the cars? :)

One word - MINIVAN.

Got one, don't want two :)

Last edited:

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Stay home, make two trips travel with grandparents or a Suburban. Good times, good times. Heck with six, they still want to pile in!

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    We have six children. Yes, we know what causes it, and no we're not catholic. I am also a former certified child passenger safety technician. I find that many car-seats will puzzle fit together on the seat. One is wider at the front and another is wider at the back etc. You can call 1-800-kidncar and make an appointment with a tech near you who has seats on hand to play with and figure out what will work for you. Hope that helps! Congratulations on the new baby! :)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I've fit 3 in the back of a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as a 2000 VW Passat without going with any special seats. If you are using an infant carrier, put the base in the middle and the 5 pointers flanking.

Really, the hardest thing is getting the last one buckled because getting you hands down there where the seats are all mashed together is a pain.

Best,

Joe

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    We had three across the back of a dodge avenger for a short time. Didn't take long to make the switch to a minivan. Still have three in the back of my '03 tundra extended cab. We have number four coming next month but our oldest will be able to sit in between my wife and myself in the truck when necessary.

Wdsman11

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Second on the mini-van. Women hate the stigma but it is one of the most versatile vehicle for a family

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thought you all had a minivan?

Also - isn't your oldest now just in a "booster"?

Booster in the middle, baby seat on an edge, forward facing seat for the two year old on the other end. Should be enough LATCH points for all of them in your vehicles.

-J-

Top Bottom