• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Anyone have a rifle recommendation, new or used, that will shoot 2MOA or less, be effective to 300 yards, and cost less than $200?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Used Stevens maybe, going to be very limited at that price range. Something single shot or a mil-surp Mauser is probably the best bet. Problem is that rifles can be had for pretty cheap, cheap rifles just don't usually shoot that kind of group without a lot of tweaking, expensive scopes and high grade ammo. :twocents:

Personal recommendation is a Yugo m48 Mauser. Can still buy em for under $200 and if you shoot good ammo there extremly accurate (at least all 3 of mine were). 8mm is also a very cheap round with a lot of good performance.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Used Stevens maybe, going to be very limited at that price range. Something single shot or a mil-surp Mauser is probably the best bet. Problem is that rifles can be had for pretty cheap, cheap rifles just don't usually shoot that kind of group without a lot of tweaking, expensive scopes and high grade ammo. :twocents:

Personal recommendation is a Yugo m48 Mauser. Can still buy em for under $200 and if you shoot good ammo there extremly accurate (at least all 3 of mine were). 8mm is also a very cheap round with a lot of good performance.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean 2 inch groups at 300 yards, I just want the round to be effective out that far.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Hit it on the head: Used Stevens or similar bolt action rifle, check the bore and the barrel crown before buying, count on a good to great optic and decent ammo though.

A break open single shot, with good glass and a decent load, can do that if the shooter is doing his part.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Hit it on the head: Used Stevens or similar bolt action rifle, check the bore and the barrel crown before buying, count on a good to great optic and decent ammo though.

A break open single shot, with good glass and a decent load, can do that if the shooter is doing his part.

I've been looking at the H&R single shots, but I can't find any reviews that speak to accuracy.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Just to clarify, I didn't mean 2 inch groups at 300 yards, I just want the round to be effective out that far.

Ya 8mm will reach out and touch at 300yards no problem. Ballisticly almost identical to 30-06 and superior to 7.62x54. I have shot it out to 500 yards but never put a scope on it so I has only hitting a 55gallon drum at not every shot (not the best shot in the world). That said you really need good commercial/handloaded ammo for accuracy out of the 8mm mil-surps. The mil-surp ammo is cheap ($.20-$.25 a round) but not to well suited for accuracy.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Buy a new Handi Rifle.

Most any of the 223, 243, 270, 280, 7-08, 308 or 30-06 models will hold 2 MOA (or better) with a DIY trigger job and some forend fitting and deliver the energy you require.

It isn't unusual to see them at Gander Mountain under $200.

Trying to find a used Stevens for $200 may be a challenge, I'd buy every one I saw for that kind of money.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    If you can swing a hundred more, Dunhams has their Steven's on sale for $279, $299 out the door. They even come with scope, rings, and mounts, although the scope is a really cheap no name 4x magnification.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    your very optimistic but I had an NEF handi rifle in 223 that stayed around your 2moa mark, but the one I had did not like Hot rounds would lead to sticky extraction. As in hot I'm talking M855

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    keep your eyes open for a marlin. gander in greenwood had one for 200.00 used. looking it over you would have thought it was a savage. barrel nut, acutrigger. went back to get it and it was gone. it was a 30-06

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    it is a little more generous than the 5.56 chamber in everything but freebore diameter
    Close fireball and easily confused---Actually the Wylde chamber is a slightly generous 223 chamber with a slightly shorter freebore/throat/lead than the 5.56

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Close fireball and easily confused---Actually the Wylde chamber is a slightly generous 223 chamber with a slightly shorter freebore/throat/lead than the 5.56

While I don't have the specific chamber prints for my PTG reamers in front of me, here's a handy little comparison chart.

Bigger numbers mean more "generous" chamber dimensions, smaller numbers mean "tighter" chamber dimensions.

Off the top of my head, it is a little more generous than the 5.56 chamber in everything but freebore diameter.

chambers1.jpg

Last edited:

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    Actually the Wylde chamber is a slightly generous 223 chamber with a slightly shorter freebore/throat/lead than the 5.56
    Actually the Wylde chamber is a slightly generous 223 chamber with a slightly longer freebore/throat/lead than the 5.56.

fixed it!

Steve

Top Bottom