• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    I'm looking to get better with a carbine (not like I could get much worse!) and don't love the two 1990-91 Colts I have. ...one is a 20" and the carbine is in 7.62x39.

The "AK" caliber one is a bigger thump than I want for defense and training and more important; it has feeding issues which are magazine-related. <20 rounds it is okay but anything more and it gets sketchy.
    So- looking for a decent quality AR somewhere north of a Ruger 556 and south of a LaRue price point.

I trust and love my SIG pistols and see amazing reviews for the MCX.
    My old-school concern is having problems w/ a piston gun in 10 years and needing parts.
    I could be like a revolver guy telling these crazy kids that their schmancy autoloaders aren't reliable and am open to being told so!

Other one I'm looking at is BCM but they're mid-length. Again, worry wart old guy has always heard that mid length systems are not standardized and getting a standard carbine is the smartest policy.

Any confirmation on those? I welcome any "oh you're being silly" comments, too.

If anyone has either the MCX or a Bravo rifle they've tried to kill and couldn't, I'd love to hear it.

p.s. Get off my lawn ya whippersnappers

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    16" mid-length is proven, and is becoming the standard in privately owned carbines. The military is, and always will be 20 years behind.

If the end of the world was coming tomorrow I would take my ELW 16" BCM Mid-length as my first choice.

14.5" mid-lengths sometimes need full power 5.56 to function properly. Even then, this is usually only an issue when using heavier than a carbine buffer and weak .233

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For two grand, you can buy two Rock River rifles. Mil-Spec and totally reliable. I have handled and shot the so-called premium rifles and they are fine too. Just too expensive.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    G&R tactical for a BCM lower - $400
    BCM mid length upper from BCM- $500- $1200
    Aimpoint Pro/ Trijicon MRO- $500- $600
    SGammo- 1000 rnd $350

Simple, proven problem solved.:patriot:

Bob

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    Opie, you're an enabler, sir, and that's why I likes ya.
    Sloughfoot- great point. I have shot a RR and the owner believes in it 100%....an option for sure.
    Hop - irons, yes. Optics, no. And the SIG will "need" a Geissele. Planning on this being a 'buy once, cry once' so I'll be buying a T-1 on top of the rifle price, as well.

Thanks for the help, guys.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The MCX is sweet, when the 7.62x39s become available I'll be tempted. I love my 2 POFs and they're both piston driven and I'm not concerned about parts, same with my MPX. Companies will support a popular rifle with parts, especially if there is enough of them out there.

$2k....Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, POF Renegade/Renegade+, BCM, lots of great rifles out there.

For two grand, you can buy two Rock River rifles. Mil-Spec and totally reliable. I have handled and shot the so-called premium rifles and they are fine too. Just too expensive.

Rock Rivers use commercial receiver extensions....so....not completely "mil spec". And I think they use semi auto carriers

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    ^Rock River is not Mil-Spec. Not even close. Who knows what they use for barrel steel but it's not 4150. No mention of what their bolts are made from. Commercial Rec. extensions like already mentioned above. For what you get, RRAs aren't worth the asking price. And yes I have owned 2x of them back before I knew any better.:ingo:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I'm a big fan of Daniel Defense, so for your budget, get one and throw an Aimpoint or trijicon MRO on it and you'll be set. JMO

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    ^Rock River is not Mil-Spec. Not even close. Who knows what they use for barrel steel but it's not 4150. No mention of what their bolts are made from. Commercial Rec. extensions like already mentioned above. For what you get, RRAs aren't worth the asking price. And yes I have owned 2x of them back before I knew any better.:ingo:
    I got to agree with this. Rock River isn't what they used to be or what they appear to be now.
    I'm no expert on Rock River but what I've personally seen, laid hands on, and shot...I have my doubts about buying another one.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Other one I'm looking at is BCM but they're mid-length. Again, worry wart old guy has always heard that mid length systems are not standardized and getting a standard carbine is the smartest policy.

I have 2x Noveske 14.5 Mid-Lengths. I've run them with H and H2 buffers with 0 malfunctions while running low power 223(PMC bronze). If you buy a quality 14.5 Midlength from a reputable manufacturer, you will be fine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm looking to get better with a carbine (not like I could get much worse!) and don't love the two 1990-91 Colts I have. ...one is a 20" and the carbine is in 7.62x39

If your goal truly is to get better, take $1200 of your budget, buy ammo, and get a quality training class followed by practice of what you learned.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Skip the rest and go with a JP. Mil spec=base level spec. JP specializes in high end rifles that will outshoot and outlast the shooter.

Yojimbo229

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2016
    NY
    All great input. I appreciate it.
    I'll look into JP. I haven't heard of them.
    Ammo and mags are on hand and training is the plan. My current carbine would not make it through a class without being a complete frustration and drag on the class.

The expectations are to be a reliable, hearty rifle I can run in some quality training classes and regularly practice w/ on my own. I shoot ARs 600rnds/yr as a hobby on the proverbial 'flat range pretty days' ... half of what a weekend class would put though them.
    I want to be a competent handler and trust my tool.
    I'm primarily a pistol guy and want to be more well-rounded.

Y'all're the best.

Top Bottom