• ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I inherited a J.C Higgins model 50 from my Dad. The gun is in perfect condition as far as I can tell but I am more of a lever-action guy. I have thoroughly cleaned and oiled it and it looks great. It has a Mauser bolt and and the gun was made by FN and has a Weaver scope.

Here's the problem. The bullets don't seat easily when I push the bolt forward. One bullet, casing and all, even went into the barrel which I had to (very, very carefully) push out with a cleaning rod. Don't cringe please I was EXTREMELY careful. But another bullet ( all these were reloads, by the way) was actually pushed back into the casing of the bullet! I poured the powder out, but the bullet itself is just rattling around in the casing.

The bolt also was hard to push down with the bullets in the gun but they all ejected just fine. Without bullets the action is extremely smooth. My question is: does anyone have an idea what might be the problem with the bolt? Maybe it just hasn't been used in decades and needed to loosen up? Might there be another problem I am not familiar with? After loading and ejecting a few times it seemed to work okay.

Sorry for the long post but i wanted to give you all the information I could.
    Any help would be appreciated!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    When you say "bullets" I assume you mean "cartridges".

A couple things things could be going on... It's not chambered for .270 (but let's just assume that is), you have a short throat in the chamber, or the chamber is short, or after 50 years it is very very dirty.

From your statement that there are reloads, I going to guess that your bullets are getting jammed into the rifling. So either the throat is short or your bullets are sticking out too far for the chamber.

Since you had one that pushed completely back into the case, it may be that the ogive of your bullet (the shape of the nose) is not compatible with your rifle's chamber.

How do resized cases fit, with no bullets seated?

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    When you say "bullets" I assume you mean "cartridges".

A couple things things could be going on... It's not chambered for .270 (but let's just assume that is), you have a short throat in the chamber, or the chamber is short, or after 50 years it is very very dirty.

From your statement that there are reloads, I going to guess that your bullets are getting jammed into the rifling. So either the throat is short or your bullets are sticking out too far for the chamber.

Since you had one that pushed completely back into the case, it may be that the ogive of your bullet (the shape of the nose) is not compatible with your rifle's chamber.

How do resized cases fit, with no bullets seated?
    Yeah, I do mean cartridges. I don't know how the cases fit as I don't have any that aren't yet re-loaded. No empties. And it is definitely a .270. When I engage the bolt, the cartridges seem to have trouble setting in the chamber. They get hung up as I push the bolt forward. Not all cartidges, but enough that I have to work the bolt a bit to get one to enter the chamber and sit right. Ususally I have trouble with the first one and then the others seem to go in right.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Also, I've noticed some scratches on the cartridges that I've ejected. They mostly run right down from the where the cartridge narrows down about an inch towards the primer. What might cause that?

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Also, I've noticed some scratches on the cartridges that I've ejected. They mostly run right down from the where the cartridge narrows down about an inch towards the primer. What might cause that?

Problably junk in the sizing die or not enough/not any lube in the die.

I would grab some factory ammo and try that first.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Safety issue

Anytime you can push a bullet back into the case, just by closing the bolt on a loaded cartridge, you have a serious problem. As cartridges go, the .270 operates at higher pressures than a lot of other cartridges, except the magnums. Jamming a bullet into the lands of the barrel almost always raises already high pressures. Further, if these handloads were prepared by someone who has not set his sizing die up correctly, the case shoulder may also be set back excessively...creating an unknown amount of excessive headspace. Either or both of these situations may be very hazardous to your health, or at minimum, wreck your rifle. Don't just shrug this off by saying I've already fired a few and "nothing happened". Effects of excessive pressure may be cumulative.

Do yourself a big favor and ditch the whole bag of reloads. Use factory loads, or better yet get a couple loading manuals and some equipment and learn to reload yourself...Be consevative and don't push the pressure. The deer you kill will never notice the difference in 100 fps up or down.

Top Bottom