• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just pulled the trigger and put an order in for a Remington 700 Magpul chambered in 260Rem. I've been back and forth on a bolt gun for a few years, even had a savage 10ba stealth in 308. I wasn't as crazy about an aluminum chassis bolt gun as I thought I would be. It was important to me that the bolt gun be able to out range my gas guns easily and I think 260Rem will fill the role.

So now that I'm in a holding pattern waiting for the rifle to show up at my lgs what should I be looking at accessory wise?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    260 is a great round. i would definitely try to get setup with reloading your own. The factory match 260 remington offerings can be extremely expensive. Not to mention some of the new remington barrels are hit or miss, it wouldn't hurt to work up a load for your specific barrel.

In addition some good accessories would be as follows:

Quality glass (FFP vortex, leupold mk4+, nighforce, etc.)
    Quality bipod (atlas, harris, accupod, etc.)
    rear bag (i have a TAB gear, and its decent)
    tripod setup (look online at long range tripod setups)
    Ballistic computer with weather meter (i have a kestrel 5700 link, works great)
    Chronograph (magnetospeed, labradar)
    Good Data book ( i like impact data books, or look at their design and make your own)
    Shooting mat
    Quality range finder ( make sure you get one that is capable of ranging whatever you want to shoot at, and the max distance you could possibly shoot....keep in mind if a laser range finder markets out to 1000yds that might be on a building, not necessarily a steel target)
    Maybe a nice bag to carry your precision rifle around if you plan on hiking or hunting with it. ( i use an eberlestock with a rifle scabbard attached)

Okay, now that you have taken out another mortgage.... haha ill stop at that.

blacknwhite

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2016
    southwest
    It's pretty much been covered but I'll ad my +1 For the cartridge. I've made hits regularly out to 1350 yards here in Indiana and out to 1800 yards out west. Great little round.

Longsh0t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2016
    Evansville
    I cant wait to get my 260 up and rolling too. If my ballistic app is right, it will reach as far as 1700 yards with 19.4 mil of drop and still be supersonic. In comparison to my 308 load it requires 34.7 mil at 1700 yards and goes subsonic at 985 yards. When a high bc bullet like the hornady 147 eldm is used the 260 looks to be a great improvement on paper at least.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ok so for a scope I've been looking into a swfa 10x. They seem to get positive reviews most places and save a ton of money compared to a nice ffp variable.

Any suggestions on a scope base for the 700?

I've got 2 harris bipods 6-9" I believe. One swivels and on is solid so I think I'm covered on the bipod. I'd really like an accutac but it just isn't in the budget right now.

When it comes to reloading, I'm looking into a simple set up with a small footprint. It will probably be 6 months to a year before I really get anything set up. My wife and I are about to have a baby in a month and are planning on moving in July so I'll probably stick with factory loads until I can lock down a dedicated reloading area.

I've been shopping rangefinders but I have no idea what to really look for in them. I'd like to learn how to range with the scope rather than depend on a rangefinder, but I'd really like to have one.

What are the thoughts on the magpul stock? It wasn't truly a selling point for me I liked the bolt knob, threaded barrel and the caliber. Would a new long range shooter want to swap out to a fiberglass stock or will the magpul hold up? Ideally I'd like to have a practical long range bolt gun that can be carried in the woods while being competitive at the range.

Last question on my mind. I'll be running this suppressed majority of the time. The bolt gun guys I used to go to the range with years and years ago all sent their rifles off to have the barrel crowned, is this necessary or vanity?

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Magpul stock will be fine. I dont know much about the swfa 10x, but i would recommend making sure it has the same clicks on the turrets as the reticle (mil reticle, with 1/10 mil turrets). How far do you plan on shooting with this setup? If you plan on shooting out to distance 1000+ i would make sure the internal elevation of the scope can dial that as well.

The factory threaded barrel will be fine for your can.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well I'm just waiting on it to be delivered to the lgs. Looking at optics a bit more serious now. I'm between the SWFA 10x or a Leupold vx3i ffp. I'll weigh the pros and cons internally over the next few weeks, but I imagine i'll go with the fixed 10x as it saves quite a bit of money and is generally where I like my magnification to be anyway.

So onto the rings and rails. I've been looking at rails and was wondering if a 20moa seekins rail was overkill? I know the 260 is a very capable long range round, but that is the extent of my long range knowledge. I want to learn to shoot long range with this rifle, but I will be doing more shooting in the 100-300 yard range than 1k. Will I have an issue with a 20moa rail?

Rings can get expensive. What is a quality intermediate 30mm ring that won't perch the scope up to ar heights? I have low sig rings on my tacsol and they keep the scope very low, makes for easy cheek welds without the need for a riser. I don't need qd, and I would rather all the mounting hardware be pretty compact so that it won't snag if I am carrying with gear. Any suggestions on rings to watch for?

Ideally I'd like to be right around 300 dollars in rings and a one piece rail. I believe I can come close using badger ordnance gear. Any thoughts on badger good or bad? I really like all my seekins made gear on my ar's so they are also in the running.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A 20MOA rail is fine, there is actually no reason not to use one. I'm a big fan of Seekins rings and bases, I've had many years of good luck with Glen's stuff.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I am really curious about 260 Remington, and have considered picking one up for a while.
    The SWFA 10x42M is an under priced gem, and is IMHO (take it for what it's worth) untouchable in it's price range. A 20 MOA base is what I would put on it if it were my rifle, and the suggestion of going with Seekins base & ring combo is a good one. I personally prefer a steel setup from Badger Ordnance, but there is no reason you won't have just as much success with a precisely built setup in aluminum plus you will save some weight. Not to mention, the fit / finish of the Seekins stuff is incredible.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I am really curious about 260 Remington, and have considered picking one up for a while.
    The SWFA 10x42M is an under priced gem, and is IMHO (take it for what it's worth) untouchable in it's price range. A 20 MOA base is what I would put on it if it were my rifle, and the suggestion of going with Seekins base & ring combo is a good one. I personally prefer a steel setup from Badger Ordnance, but there is no reason you won't have just as much success with a precisely built setup in aluminum plus you will save some weight. Not to mention, the fit / finish of the Seekins stuff is incredible.

Well now I'm wondering what the advantage steel has over aluminum? The cost difference between a seekins set up and a badger set up is only 50 or 60 dollars, I don't want to rethink mount or rings in the future.

I have an swfa 1-4x ffp on my 18" ar, it made me a believer. I was able to visit swfa's showroom in Midlothian last month while on business in the dallas area. I got to check out all the 10x that they had available and was really impressed. To get into the same build/glass category in a ffp variable i'd definitely be looking to spend 600 to 700 dollars more. What made me want to stick in the 10x area was a training video that showed the merits of lower magnification. Jist being that high magnification shows minute movements that trigger almost involuntary corrections in new long distance shooters. The student improved his groups by turning down his magnification from 16ish to 11 or 12x. I can also live with upgrading optics in a few years, but would like the mount and rings to be a buy once if possible.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

I have the first 200 rounds enroute. Fully intend to follow pretty close to the guide you linked. Dry firing the ar has become a nightly ritual and it has really made a marked increase on the range. Still find myself fighting npoa and sending a flier out every now and then. I'll work a replacement barrel into the budget, although with my first kid being due any day now I doubt I'll be burning through 1k rounds anytime soon.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I got the rifle this weekend and I'm more impressed with the stock than I thought I would be. It seems like a solid rifle, but it will be another week or two before I get it out to shoot it. I like the enhanced bolt knob on this version. I fiddled with a standard 700 in the shop to make some comparisons and I'm pretty happy with my choice, at least feel wise. I also qualified for the 100 dollar rebate since buds invoiced it on the day they shipped rather than the day I ordered. Right around $725 transferred is a pretty good deal I think.

For optics I went with a Leupold VX3-i LRP 4.5 - 14x50mm FFP with side focus. (Midway had a 10% off special going and hooked me). Sniper Central gave the vx3i lrp 6.5-20 a four star review I hope my lower powered lrp will hold true to that review, sniper central is about the only reviews I trust without needing to verify myself. To finish off the mounting I ordered a seekins 20moa mount and some seekins rings to finish off the mounting. I went ahead and ordered a timney flat trigger that sets down to 1.5lbs for good measure.

This is the first bolt action rifle I've really given a chance. I had a savage 10 stealth for a month and shot 2x, I just didn't like the chassis. I am too deep into this rifle to let it go like that tho lol.

I have been talking with bobcat about getting a reloading set up going, but I may wait until later this year to take the plunge and spend the money on the equipment. It is astounding how fast I went from economical to F it on this rifle lol.

Here is a quick pic of the rifle.

SMqwQQR.jpg

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The SWFA 10x is a whole lot of bang for the buck. It's not a Nightforce, but it's also not 2k+ either. I will say that if I was wanting to go over 800-900 yards, I would look for a higher end scope which will usually have better optics. Get the MRAD version if you get the SWFA

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The SWFA 10x is a whole lot of bang for the buck. It's not a Nightforce, but it's also not 2k+ either. I will say that if I was wanting to go over 800-900 yards, I would look for a higher end scope which will usually have better optics. Get the MRAD version if you get the SWFA

I have an swfa 1-4x ffp and I really like it. I got to mess around with the 10x when I was in Dallas and visited swfa's storefront. I would have gone with it but decided the versatility of the Leupold vx3i ffp would suit my needs on and off the bench. I'm a huge swfa fan tho.

Top Bottom