• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bottlefed

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Hamilton county
    My mother and grandmother have both carried 45 lc revolvers as long as I can remember and there both afraid a 22mag revolver wouldn't be enough for self defense. I personally carry a 45acp so I'm not a good arguement. Is this something I shouldn't be pushing then into? My reasons are one size grandma still carries a colt single action her dad gave her. Second both if them jam them in there purse and are planning on shooting through there purse. Just wondered your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I was 8 to 10 years old in Northern Minnesota in August the women would go out picking blueberries. Grandpa handed me the Savage 24, .22LR over .410. He said if the bear comes into the area where the women are picking blueberries, shoot over its head and drive it off. Pretty heady responsibilty for a boy...

Grandma carried a Colt SAA in 45 Colt in her apron. She loved me and trusted me, but she took care of herself....I never wanted to let her down. I would have rathered that the bear eat me than my aunts or grandma come to harm.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I think it all boils down to...

1. Will they have it on them all the time? If they will keep their old trusted revolver, but leave the newfangled stuff behind, then don't change anything. It's only helpful if they have it on them.

2. Just because of physics a .45 Long Colt will do more damage. But it is also no guarantee of an instant stop. Only a RPG that removes the entire head can do that. And that probably won't fit in their purses....probably. It is amazing what my wife has in her purse though. So if they can keep rounds on target with the .45 Long Colt...again, don't change anything.

3. The only concern I would have is the mention of them "jamming it in their purse". Any gun wither pocket carried or purse carried must be in a pocket / area that has nothing else in it and should ALWAYS be in a holster that covers the trigger guard. Even with a SAA, if there is no holster and the gun is just thrown in with all their other stuff...there is a possibility of a negligent discharge if stuff gets in the trigger and/or is messing around with the hammer. And just as importantly as preventing a negligent discharge is keeping the action free of debris so the gun does not lock up and become a club when they need it most. Get a paperclip or piece of gum or a broken button or something jammed between the frame and the cylinder and that gun could be locked up until you figure it out.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Dont knock the old stuff. I remember my dad telling me a story about a call he went on back when he was a rookie. Older lady ( thinking mid-late 80s) had a couple of guys trying to break into her house trailer. She warned them verbally to leave, and they continued to pry the door open. Lady proceeded to shoot both of them through the door with her late husbands Walker Colt.

Both guys survived, but neither harmed a hair on that ladies head. Moral of the story, just because its older, or not quite what you would use, doesnt mean that it wont do the job, of that is what someone chooses to use..

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The only refinement I'd try to encourage, if they're bound and determined to purse carry, is better purse carry.

Rather than just throwing the revolver in there, it should really be in a retention mechanism of some sort inside the purse so it's always in the same spot (speeds access), so the action is protected from debris (increases reliabiility), and so the action is prevented from "working" unintentionally causing a ND (increased safety).

But hey, if gramma wants to carry a 45lc, more power to grandma!

(All the usual purse/off body caveats apply.)

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'd trust the .45LC over .22 mag any day.

Would not want to get in a fight with your grandmother.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I don't know that I'd 'trust' a .22 mag for personal defense, per say, however, if that's the only caliber available, it's better than nothing...and that includes a .25 acp!

That being said, if, for whatever reason, .22 mag is the best caliber your can constistently shoot, then by all means have at it. No one wants to get shot, period! While it's probably not a 'man-stopper' in a violent attack, it definitely has the ability to render an individal physically dead.

Case in point, my 72-y/o mother inquired about acquiring a 'lightweight, simple handgun' for herself for when out walking along county roads. After much discussion regarding actual experience (zero), ability to handle various calibers, etc...we drew the conclusion that the Ruger LCR in .22 magnum would probably be the ideal gun for her.
    1.) It's light weight...especially inside a pocket while out walking.
    2.) It's relatively simple to use...pull, point-n-shoot capability.
    3.) Recoil is minimal...and managable.
    4.) Six (6) Shots...if she needs more...it's a bad day anyhow.

Top Bottom