22LR Suppressor Hosts - "Target" Handguns & "Bolt" Rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Getting caught up on past projects, including host guns for my Bowers Paradigm that I got from Tom years ago. At the moment I am using a S&W P22 handgun plus for long guns a threaded Ruger factory carbine barrel and the 22LR kit in the M16A1.

Been looking at various options and shooting the various host guns of friends over the years, so figured was time to get some inputs from everyone here on their favorite host "Target" handguns (i.e. little large than the P22 with a good trigger and sights) and "bolt" rifles (a really nice semi could be considered if the trigger was good ;-).

"Target" Handguns

Browning - Had one of the Browning Buckmarks with a full length rib that I was going to have threaded, however, was a pain to clean with the rib on (too many small screws to off all the time) and the threaded muzzle was going to look "different" so it wandered off. Still considering a Browning but an open top one.

Ruger MkII/MKIII - Have a Ruger stainless steel slab side that is being considered, however, some of the smiths have had issues with the bore not be down the center compared to the outside (still can thread as long as enough metal on all sides). Have looked at the Pack Lite but really thinking of a little heavier gun, but looks interesting. The new Ruger factory threaded models have not seen in a target version. Lastly most all Ruger handguns now days could use trigger work (there are replacement parts ;-).

Marvel 1911 22LR Upper - An idea host per friends and very accurate, but last I checked was on back order for well over a half year ... no rush but have not gotten around sending the check for a couple years while thinking ;-).

High Standard: - Have a couple older High Standards that like but never wanted to thread the only barrel for them, in particular the Victor. But ran across and extra barrel for the Supermatic and thinking this might be an option.

supermatic_both_barrels.jpg

Bolt Rifles

CZ - The CZ 455 looks like a possible option, however, would be nice if found one with a factory thread barrel ;-)

Savage - For the price the Savage MarkII FVSR looks interesting, stock could be nicer and the Accura Trigger is new to me.

Ruger - One of the guys has a 77/22 that is threaded which I would like to check out before deciding for sure.

Any other ideas for a 22LR host guns that are fairly to very accurate, works well and has a good trigger, would be appreciated?
    Maybe can setup of a shoot day to try a few options, can toss suppressors on the MP5 and M16 to round out the day ;-).

Thanks
    John

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    personally im partial to the ruger mkIII and the cz 452, on the mkIII it you should be indicating off the bore not the outside of the barrel so it really doesnt matter if the bore is perfectly centered. as long as you have enough barrel on the outside of the bore its really no big deal. plus i like that they make the mkIII sight wide enough that you can just cut it back when your done threading instid of tapping a new hole for the front sight

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    The Savage MKII FVSR is a bargain, however, you will find it easily upgraded if your willing to spend the money.

Adding the Boyds Tacticool stock was the BEST purchase, at around $100.

Savage_22_005.JPG

Here is a link to my original thread on putting this gun together.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/202993-my_new_22lr_build.html#post2720617

I use a Ruger MKII 22/45 with a Pac-Lite upper and a Tactical Solutions Stratus suppressor, makes a great combo.
    33732PACLITEStratus_003.jpg

I find that the light weight of the above combo is great for quick transitions on targets.

Last edited:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    personally im partial to the ruger mkIII and the cz 452, on the mkIII it you should be indicating off the bore not the outside of the barrel so it really doesnt matter if the bore is perfectly centered. as long as you have enough barrel on the outside of the bore its really no big deal. plus i like that they make the mkIII sight wide enough that you can just cut it back when your done threading instid of tapping a new hole for the front sight

Thanks

Any particular models of the MKIIIs?

Any reason for the MkIII over the MkII besides the MKIII is what is made now days?

Are you doing anything for your trigger on the MKIII

Thanks
    John

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The Savage MKII FVSR is a bargain, however, you will find it easily upgraded if your willing to spend the money.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/202993-my_new_22lr_build.html#post2720617

Thanks and will parse out the build over the next few days. Only down side on the extra money, if once you get to the cost of a nicer rifle (CZ ;-) with all the features .... however, since one is not paying extra to thread the barrel this is another big positive.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks

Any particular models of the MKIIIs?

Any reason for the MkIII over the MkII besides the MKIII is what is made now days?

Are you doing anything for your trigger on the MKIII

Thanks
    John

to be blunt i suck with a pistol. im not good enough to really benifit from a upgraded trigger. my goal is for the mkIII to make me a better pistol shot. i bought the mkIII target so i would have plenty of room to cut threads for my suppressor

my reason for chosing the mkIII over the mkII is my main shooting partner has a mkIII and our mags can be interchanged if be both had mkIII's. i i bought a mkII it would take diffrent mags.

i dont have pics of the mkIII but here are a few pics of my 452 suppressed

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks 42769vette, all great reasons (I also have issues with pistols .... ;-(
    Is that an after market stock on the rifle, I am guessing and who's? By the way nice optics on the rifle ... we are going to have to get together one of these days at Old Trails.

Take Care
    John

Last edited:

bsmith918

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    MKII and MKIII mags are the same. I know they offer different sku's for both, but they work in either.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks 42769vette, all great reasons (I also have issues with pistols .... ;-(
    Is that an after market stock on the rifle, I am guessing and who's? By the way nice optics on the rifle ... we are going to have to get together one of these days at Old Trails.

Take Care
    John

yes that stock is aftermarket
    MCS-T4 CZ 452-455 22. RIMFIRE TRAINER | Manners Composite Stocks

it was about 525 so its not cheap but its a amazing stock

the scope is a vortex 4-16 ffp/moa
    Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA
    again not cheap but amazing.

alot of folks cant see why i would put that kind on money in a 22lr. fact of the matter is most folks dont do with a 22 what i expect out of mine. ive had it out to 425 yds numerious times and will get 500 yds by the end of the summer (HOPFULLY). that and the fact that i was looking at my custom rifles and the thing that made no scence to my is that all my good equipment was on guns i did not use 1/2 as much as my 22. in the last 2 years ive put about 30,000 rds threw the cz and it still has alot of life yet so i mise well have good equipment on it since i use it all the time.

ive never been to a formal range before so we can give old trails a shot. its only a few miles from my house.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    alot of folks cant see why i would put that kind on money in a 22lr.

It is kind of hard to drop a bunch of cash on a .22, but i figure I'm going to shoot it more than any other calibers I own, so why not get some good ones?

JT, I've got a Savage MKII with the heavy barrel and laminated stock. i got mine before the factory threaded barrel came out. Has a local machinist thread it and it's wonderful. I've had several MOA groups out to a hundred yards with mine and I have a steel target I made with two 3" squares and it's no trouble to hit it every shot at 150 yards.

I also have an older MKII target that i had cut to 3.5" and threaded. It came to me with some Volquartsen parts in it, so it already has a great trigger. The barrel is more than meaty enough to get the bore centered in your threads. Honestly, Ive been shooting my GSG 1911 with the can more than the Ruger lately. it's been wonderfully reliable and 'accurate enough' for fun plinking. It's got a decent trigger in it and can take many normal 1911 parts, so if you want to upgrade to a better hamer/sear/trigger later on, its always a possibility.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the ideas.

Dropped off a load of tree trimmings at a friends place (i.e. better to make one pile than two ... reference Alice's Restaurant ;-) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7C0QGkiVo"]Alice's Restaurant[/ame]

So of course had to bring along a few guns to shoot, however, no 8x10 glossy photos ..... Spent the rest of the afternoon shooting 22LRs (don't get too much work done dropping off brush as both places are friends with ranges ;-) at targets and the 135 yard steel. The High Standard Supermatic was making a ragged hole with a few rounds peaking out from hole .... but only when the friend was shooting ;-). Did shoot a lot nice than the Ruger MkII Target Slab Side and the P22 with the suppressor, with me shooting. One of the guys showed up that had not shot the HK P7 yet, so it came out, but since it is not suppressed nor a SBR and thus off topic ;-).

Bottom line is the High Standard might be shooting well enough that is won't get threaded and might find a new home with the friend ....

Last edited:

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I'm partial to my FV-SR and Ruger 22/45.

I did just get a threaded barrel for my AA .22LR conversion kit for my G19 last week. I'll get a chance to shoot it tomorrow.

On the subject of expensive .22s, I added the Boyd's stock, a 20MOA rail, TPS rings, a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10, and a Harris bipod with a podloc. It is probably one of my more fun guns to shoot now and as a result the money I've put into it has been more than worth it. I would like a little more mag though, I've been eyeing the Vortex on the previous page for awhile now, but it isn't quite at the top of my "things I want" list. :)

edit: forgot about my CMMG .22LR upper. I haven't shot it with the can yet, but I need to install a 12" FF rail today so it can make the trip tomorrow. It is a lot of fun with the BHOA. I can't load the mags fast enough for this thing.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Dropped off a load of tree trimmings at a friends place (i.e. better to make one pile than two ... reference Alices Restaurant ;-) , no 8x10 glossy photos .....

Just an off topic FYI... I tried to get "GROUP W" on my license plate and was denied... bastages'!

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    ............. here are a few pics of my 452 suppressed

Was looking at the stock, did not find any price listed yet, nor how it is installed (i.e. glass bedded or not etc.) The extra weight of the filler would make the rifle stable in recoil, do you even loose sight of the target?

Thanks, was wondering on the stock is that glassed bedded or a drop in (some of the metal block stocks like on the Rem 700 PSS work pretty well).

Just an off topic FYI... I tried to get "GROUP W" on my license plate and was denied... bastages'!

Not off topic to me (maybe for the board, but we won't tell them ;-) since I included two Alice's Restaurant references and a link.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    They do make a threaded barreled version of the CZ 452 and 455, BUT they are a metric thread and require an adapter.

with this in mind I took some calipers with me when I bought my CZ 455 American. At 16" it was well over 1/2" in diameter, so once I bought it, I took it to a friend had him cut a couple of inches off the barrel to make it about 16.25", thread 1/2x28, and recrown the muzzle. Its nice, super quiet, and a great shooter!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had a ton of suppressor host, but my 3 favorites have been:
    -Ruger M77/22, "boat paddle", standard barrel threaded, Pentax scope
    -Ruger MKIII, Paclite upper, Majestic Arms 3.5 Speed Strip and extended mag release
    -Ruger 10/22, Tactical Solutions barrel, Valquartzen bolt buffer, Timney Trigger, Hogue overmold stock, Nikon Rimfire scope.

Many parts are interchangeable on the 77/22 and 10/22 including the magazines, and they are both stupid accurate. The Paclite upper lightened up the overall feel of the MKIII with the suppressor The Majestic Arms kit dramatically improved the trigger and removed the stupid trigger disconnect. I'll see if I can get a picture later.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Was looking at the stock, did not find any price listed yet, nor how it is installed (i.e. glass bedded or not etc.) The extra weight of the filler would make the rifle stable in recoil, do you even loose sight of the target?

bedding the rifle is on the to do list but it has not happened yet. i highly doubt it helps accuracy any but i know it wont hurt and im just the kind of shooter who needs to know they have done everything humanly possibable to not miss by 1 inch. i bought the stock on a snipershide group buy, im thinking i paid 500 even with the freeland rail i had put on the bottom (that way i can add a hand stop and try and learn a sling) i think to buy them today it runs 520 and about a 5 month wait, but you would have to call manners to confirm 1-816-283-3334.

this is a pretty heavy 22 losing a sight picture is not a issue. to be honest your close enough there isnt alot of sence in you dropping that kind of money on a stock you may not like. come feel mine out that way you know what your getting

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    New Ruger

Ruger has a new standard frame Ruger threaded with the Ruger style Flash hider on it. Just bought one myself at $399.95. Now just gotta get the Suppressor. It has a 5.5 barrel blued with adjustable sights

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Ruger has a new standard frame Ruger threaded with the Ruger style Flash hider on it. Just bought one myself at $399.95. Now just gotta get the Suppressor. It has a 5.5 barrel blued with adjustable sights

Was looking at one when the High Standard extra barrel followed me home ;-).

Top Bottom