• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I own a 22hp savage. I have plenty of brass. it shoots 5.56x52r round. Does anybody have any specs for me.

Thanks

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    What bullet or shooting application (hunting or target shooting)? Your question is so broad it will be hard for anyone to get you an answer that helps.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    What bullet or shooting application (hunting or target shooting)? Your question is so broad it will be hard for anyone to get you an answer that helps.

whats the best all around type of load. I'm also looking for the size projectile for this also

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    n56bo2.jpg

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    The .22 Savage High Power takes a bullet diameter slightly larger than most .22 center-fire cartridges (roughly .227" diameter instead of .224" diameter). For bullets you can check online. For example:

5.6x52mm (22 Savage High-Power) (.227) | Rifle Bullets

Graf & Sons - HORNADY 22c (.227) 70gr SP WC BULLET w/Cannelure 100/BX

From the picture you posted it looks like you already know a thing or two regarding reloading. As you probably know the .22 HP is obsolete. Few, if any, current reloading manuals carry any data for it. However, one good source of some loading data is the book Cartridges of the World. You can find data in the most recent edition or older editions. I highly recommend the book, especially if you deal with some of the cartridges that are not in widespread use.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I haven't decided if you're trolling or trying to build up your post count, but when you posted the exact same picture in your 300 Savage thread, I decided to hang back and see how this particular train derails.

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I haven't decided if you're trolling or trying to build up your post count, but when you posted the exact same picture in your 300 Savage thread, I decided to hang back and see how this particular train derails.

I own both and in 1 post I was asked if I could post a pic. so I posted both my 300 and 22hp. Why is that a problem

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    look what we have here.

Being an 09"er Im very surprised you provided nothing for the op but a cocky ass, trolling post that's typical of A new guy typing up how much he hates Glocks.

Provide at least something for the op or go do something else with your time.

Doosh i hope you find what your looking for.

INDY K 08!

Last edited:

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Being an 09"er Im very surprised you provided nothing for the op but a cocky ass, trolling post that's typical of A new guy typing up how much he hates Glocks.

Provide at least something for the op or go do something else with your time.

Doosh i hope you find what your looking for.

INDY K 08!

I've been wrong before, but look at both threads and ask yourself what's going on here.

The guy is obviously a reloader and has two fairly obscure cartridges for which he's soliciting load data...sorta. In fact, DJones had to clarify that by asking the OP what he was after.

Maybe this guy is genuine and my troll alarm went off prematurely, but some of the questions he's asked, and the very brief nature of some of his replies has me wondering if all is as it seems.

If you'll read his similar post on the 300 Savage, you'll find that I offered him some useful information, but frankly nothing he shouldn't already know if he owns two of these particular model of rifle.

Do you have anything of import to add?

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    I've been wrong before, but look at both threads and ask yourself what's going on here.

The guy is obviously a reloader and has two fairly obscure cartridges for which he's soliciting load data...sorta. In fact, DJones had to clarify that by asking the OP what he was after.

Maybe this guy is genuine and my troll alarm went off prematurely, but some of the questions he's asked, and the very brief nature of some of his replies has me wondering if all is as it seems.

If you'll read his similar post on the 300 Savage, you'll find that I offered him some useful information, but frankly nothing he shouldn't already know if he owns two of these particular model of rifle.

Do you have anything of import to add?

I do... If you happen to notice there both vintage rifles that were handed down through my family. And yes I do reload, But I never had reloaded theses type of cartriges before. So instead of going out and getting the wrong stuff to reload, I asked for second opinions from people who have done it before. And by looking at your number of post and your return comments, you look like the one trolling. I have received good info here, like I knew I would and I thank all those that post helpful advise.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I do... If you happen to notice there both vintage rifles that were handed down through my family. And yes I do reload, But I never had reloaded theses type of cartriges before. So instead of going out and getting the wrong stuff to reload, I asked for second opinions from people who have done it before. And by looking at your number of post and your return comments, you look like the one trolling. I have received good info here, like I knew I would and I thank all those that post helpful advise.

As I said, I've been wrong before...and since it appears I am wrong in this case, I offer my humblest apologies.

I didn't build up my post count by trolling and have helped a lot of folks with their reloading challenges. As you've learned, finding the right size bullets for your 22HP may be a challenge.

I would add that those are both beautiful and collectible rifles, with the full-length European-style stocks. Of the two, I would definitely shoot the 300 Savage and probably set the other aside, unless I could find a good quantity of right-sized bullets.

Good luck in your efforts and again, I apologize for doubting the sincerity of your posts.

Jason

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Jason (Broom_jm) is a stand up guy here on INGO and in person. His knowledge of reloading and deer management has been extremely helpful to me and many other members.

He is not "trolling".

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    Jason (Broom_jm) is a stand up guy here on INGO and in person. His knowledge of reloading and deer management has been extremely helpful to me and many other members.

He is not "trolling".
    well he stated I was trolling. That's how this all started. For a stand up guy he never once gave me any advise. I asked for some help before I started and hunted down what I needed to reload these old time rounds. I did find a site that had theses rounds for 15 dollars abox. So I ordered every last 1 they had all 5 of them.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    My exact words were "I haven't decided if you're trolling...", and I apologized because your posts were sincere, if a bit different than most folks asking for help with load data. (Go back and look at your posts in both threads and you'll see that you weren't very clear, early on.) Also, I did offer some advice in your 300 Savage thread.

How many rounds were in a box? If you got 100 rounds of factory ammo for $75, that's a pretty good deal, since the brass itself isn't cheap!

I'm sure you've seen this article: .22 Savage Hi Power

Also, RCBS makes a set of case-forming dies that will allow you to make 30/30 cases in to 22 Savage Hi Power brass, but it will require inside neck reaming and will have slightly less case capacity than factory brass. With careful resizing, and specifically neck sizing, you could make those 100 pieces of factory brass last a long time. Midway currently has Norma brass for this round (which was far more popular in Europe than it was in the States) for $38/25 pieces.

One thing I can tell you about bottle-necked cases with severely tapering case bodies; be especially diligent about not sizing them excessively or your case life will be much shorter than need be.

Jason

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    ya I did read that. And there 20 in a box. There in transit now. They claim the only place where they are made are in chez republic. Ya I can see how reloading theses rounds would be stressfull on the casing. I'd like to see some reading literure on that 30/30 cases into 22hp. Now that would be interesting. This rifle has been in my family since day 1, and it sure has brought down a lot of deers in it's day.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Be sure and put your name in the notice section at Midway and Graf's, so when they become available you will get an e-mail. And by all means get several boxes as no doubt they are a once a year run, and you're not the only guy will be looking for them. Pulled out an old Lyman, 41st addition, circa 1957 with loads for the 70gr. Calls for a .228 bullet [who knows], with notes for different powders, noting a 2gr. reduction for lever guns. HTH.

Last edited:

dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    Be sure and put your name in the notice section at Midway and Graf's, so when they become available you will get an e-mail. And by all means get several boxes as no doubt they are a once a year run, and you're not the only guy will be looking for them. Pulled out an old Lyman, 41st addition, circa 1957 with loads for the 70gr. Calls for a .228 bullet [who knows], with notes for different powders, noting a 2gr. reduction for lever guns. HTH.
    that's I will do that

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Hang in there..

As we talked before, go ahead to the Indy 1500, and walk the tables...You MAY?? just happen to find some of those .227" projectiles on one of those 'Old Timers' stash.

FWIW: Broom_jm, djones, and most all members here on INGO are GREAT people to work with..I KNOW that those two have helped me a LOT...Bill.

Top Bottom