• ...and so much more!
  • JJ1962IND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Anderson
    Help me clear up some confusion.

I am getting ready to start reloading for .223 / 5.56 for my AR-15. RRA 16” barrel 1/9” twist
    Should you full length re-size your cases or can using just a trim die be suffecient?
    My brass is all range brass.
    I have reloaded for my .223 Savage Tactical Bolt action with good results. Reloading for my AR-15 will be new to me.

If I am correct the trim die just re-size's the neak only. Right ?

The confusion is I read somewhere that if your reloading the cases fired from the same weapon, re-sizing just the neak is sufficient?

If this is true what I am thinking, is that I could use a universal decapper deprimer die and then just use the trim die.
    Another qestion: A small base sizing die does exactly what? I here they are for autoloader rifles?

The trim die I have is the RCBS. I also have a FL RCBS die.
    I wreaked my FL Lee Sizing die, I had and idiot attack. Long story.

Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    JJ

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    You'll need to fill length size the brass for your AR. Especially being range brass, you don't know what it's been fired it, but Autoloaders are known for lettin brass expand a bit more. The small base die will resize the case up near the head a bit smaller than SAAMI dimensions. Thsi is to ensure functioning. I've loaded quite a few rounds for my AR-15 with a standard set of Lee dies and they've all functioned 100%

I'd send your die back to Lee and they'll take care of it for you. I got a .308 case stuck in my sizer die and tried to use the decapping rod to get it out. Didn't work! Sent it back to Lee and within a week I got my die back as good as new; no charge. they stand behind thier prodict, no matter what!

Doug K

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    From my understandings, you MUST full-length re-size for ALL auto's.
    "Rounds fired from the same gun" only refers to bolt guns, or single shot like the Thompson Contender/Encore.
    The general consensus is that the brass will "fire-form" to a single chamber, but any auto's need to be fully re-sized.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Since my son and I shoot .223 thru different ARs, I full length all of my using the Lee dies and never have an issue. I do have a friend that only uses one AR and he only trims but also has some stuck cases so...:dunno:

Lee sent the decapper pins in the mail after I broke one, they are really just dowel pins. But since I have purchased a universal decapping die and its great for the .308 and the military crimped brass in 5.56 & 7.62x51.... a very worth while investment of $15.00 on Epay.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    A trim die is used to do just that, i.e. trim to length. A trim die does not resize anything. A neck size die is used to resize the neck only from the shoulder out and not resize the case at all which will not work in any type of autoloader. When loading for an AR with a Mil-spec 5.56 chamber full length sizing is generally all that is needed. If chambered for .223 a small amount of the chambers I've seen require sizing with a small base die in order to insure proper feeding. Anyone trying to neck size only for an AR or any other autoloader needs to pick up a manual and start reading again.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I reloaded for a couple of years without having a proper case guage. Then I had a couple of "issues" (cases stuck in chamber). I made about 300 rounds of ammo that chambered and functioned properly in one rifle, but didn't work in a different rifle. PITA.

On advice from here, I got one of the Dillon case guages. It is a metal cylinder machined out to the exact specs of a .223 (or whatever) chamber. You drop a case in, and if it lines up properly with the recessed reference mark, it is properly sized.

If you had one of these, you could try your neck sizing and see if the resulting case is correct. I suspect as others mention above, you will have to full length size.

Whatever kind of sizing die you use, this tool will tell you instantly and precisely whether your ammo is going to be proper spec.

For $22, it is cheap insurance.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    neck size only for bolt guns only

any auto MUST be full length resized...

there are no exceptions to this rule that i know of

I agree there,,
    If you have a bolt gun you can just neck size after the first firing of the cartridge in your gun. After being fired in your gun the first time it will have fire formed to the chamber and be sized to that gun and that gun only. Therefore if you reload for only that gun you just neck size the case and reload it. This will give better accuarcy.
    But for the AR you'll need to FL resized like everybody else has said.

Top Bottom