• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I am looking for a new rifle. I recently got an old .22 Springfield model 56. I love shooting the .22. Its cheap to shoot, easy to handle and accurate enough to shoot at 40-50 yards plinking around. I would like to pick up another rifle to work on longer range shooting (100-200 yds) and ultimately some varmint control/hunting.

I would like to keep the gun in the $300 range. I am not opposed to pick up a used rifle.

My questions are:

What kind of range can I accurately get out of a .22 vs a .223 in my price range?

Pros and cons of either caliber?

Things to look out for?

Any other caliber suggestions that can be shot in the price range of the .223?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Cabela's is having a sale from Aug 19 to the 25th on the savage edge rifle just $259.99 it's a great deal....I have one and really like it.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My first questions to you would be concerning exactly how much shooting are you going to be doing? Planning on reloading? What is cheap shooting to you (how much is too much for ammo)?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't know much. But I would suggest getting a .22lr. I've been looking at the 10/22's. You can build it later to what you want. Guys on here seem to love them a lot. Cheap to shoot. Abundance of .22lr ammo everywhere. And you could get involved in Appleseed later if you wanted.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    As far as the frequency of shooting, I'm really not sure. We recently acquired a piece of property up in Michigan, so anytime we go up there, I will be shooting. I would like to get into some range shooting down here in Indy as well. So for the purpose of this thread, id say once a month give or take.

As far as cost, I don't feel the ~$.30 a round on the .223 is too bad. I would like to stick in that range or less if possible. If I'm way out of line, please school me.

As far as reloading goes, I would like to get into it down the road, just not right off the bat.

And 2cool, I have really been looking at the savage rifles. Seems to be some pretty good things said about them. If it matters, I do prefer the wood stock over the synthetic, but I'm not real sure if that should be a big deciding factor. Is the accutrigger a great upgrade to have over a standard trigger?

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    For a long range gun I used to use a mauser. Then went to a 30-30. My son in law has a 223 and 243. I have since bought a 22 magnum. I really like the magnum for groundhogs. Think I will stay with my 30-30 or 44 mag for coyotes though. Just some things I am familiar with and enjoy.

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    There is one gun you might consider...A lever action 357 mag carbine that will also handle 38 special reloads for plinking at the yardages you are interested in. The 357 round with the 18 inch long barrel and no gas loss will reach out and touch a target with ease with a heavier bullet.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    New England Firearms makes a break-action, single-shot, .223 that come with scope mount on the barrel. Darn thing is so accurate it'll make your head spin...easily hitting targets (varmits, coyotes, etc...in the 2-300+ yard range...with a scope, of course.) With the single-shot design, you'll have a nice solid, long-distance shooting platform that won't suck down you ammo usage/cost. Cost for the gun at several places in and around Fort Wayne is around $259 per gun. Have fun shooting!!!

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    The .223, 22LR, 22 Magnum, and 17 HMR would all work for you then. Some off the wall suggestions would be Russian surplus like 7.62 x 54, 7.62 x 39 and the 5.45 x 39. They will all reach out to the 200 yard mark with ease. The bonus for these rounds is how cheap they can be found...for now.
    If you are considering reloading, the 5.56 is a very good round to look at. Can find ammo and multiple bullet weights to suit your shooting needs for the task at hand. My :twocents:
    (as an added bonus the 7.62x54 can be fired from a Mosin nagant...runs about 80 bucks on sale and surplus ammo runs about 80 bucks for 440 rounds)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I mostly agree with 2Cool. Except I would go with the Savage Edge XP. It comes in a large variety of calibers (including 223) and you get a boresighted 3-9x40 scope for just a few dollars more than the basic Edge. Do a final sight-in and you should be hitting 200 yard targets all day. You may decide to upgrade the glass later, but you will already have the rings. Just doing a quick search I found the XP for $306 plus FFL transfer.

I do not own one, but I seriously want one! The trigger group seems to have the same adjustment as the Accutrigger groups, without having the silver piece in the middle of the trigger. I love the Accutrigger on all 3 of the Savage 22s I have bought for myself and others in the last year.

One other thing, not sure where you are finding ammo at $.30 per round. The cheapest I can find in my area is Federal bulk packs at wally world for ~$40. They are 55grn FMJ, good for targets, not legal for game, but can be reloaded.

I would stay away from any rimfire for reliably taking game beyond 150+ yards.
    I know some people have taken grizzlies at 4 miles with them, but I would not trust them to do that every day, every shot. Also, 223 can be reloaded for less than 17 hmr can be bought.

My current fun gun is a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. Easily capable of 200 yards ;). Cheap ammo (if you buy surplus). Decently accurate and a piece of history to boot. Hard to shoot 100 rounds per day though. Malern, where are you finding spam cans for $80? Cheapest I've found was $100 plus shipping.

Have fun, be safe.

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    ive found steel cased .223 way cheaper then .30/rd but if you want brass expect to pay way more. for plinking, id get you a .22lr, very cheap, a marlin model 60 or a ruger 10/22 would suit you fine for that. as for a 22LR bringing down a coyote at say 200 yds, well im not ruling it out but you will see some loss in engery and it may take more than one shot to put down something like a coyote at distance. a .223, especially a bolt action or a single shot would be the best of both worlds in my opinion

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I am more interested in the ability to take a creature down at distance. I would like to do some target shooting especially to dial it in and stay sharp. For general plinking purposes I will use my .22lr. I am a fan of the bolt action and would prefer that but I'm open to other options. I greatly appreciate all the opinions on here and am attempting to wear out google researching all my options.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    The Savage Edge / Stevens trigger is NOT the old 3-screw savage trigger. It is adjustable for overtravel only - and is made from sintered metal so it can't really be worked on other than a very very light quick polish. Do not buy an edge or stevens thinking otherwise.

(that being said - i love my Stevens now that it has decent glass and I've replaced the factory stock with the wooden stock from the 10g package series - 6lb trigger and all). I can shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100yds all day long (as long as the barrel stays cool)

The Savage Stevens 200 in .223 has a nice, heavy barrel that might work for your needs. I've got an H&R in .223 with a bull barrel that I'm slowly warming up to.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Savage Edge and Stevens 200 have VERY different trigger groups. The Edge has the same spring in the back that my Accutriggers have that looks to be adjustable by the same tool. If someone owns one and wants to prove me wrong (or right) I am very willing to learn, but the pics I have found online show the Stevens and Edge to be quite different.

Again, for what the OP is looking for the Edge XP in 223 seems just about right. Though, I kinda like Malern's idea of a 5.45x39 just because they are fun too, but does not seem to be the flavor Hamster is looking for.

I'll see if I can find comparison pics of Stevens 200 & Edge triggers.

Update: Found comparison here" Savage Edge Rifle Review | Big Game Hunt
    Pics of trigger are about 1/2 way down.

speedygoss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Have you considered a .22-250? If you plan on coyote hunting and critter control at longer distances it would be my Caliber of choice. (you would want to use your .22lr. for pinking though) as .22-250 runs about $1.00 per. round. I have taken cyotes north of 350 yrds with my Rem. 700 no problem.

fordmech_2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    the 5.45 x 39. They will all reach out to the 200 yard mark with ease. The bonus for these rounds is how cheap they can be found...for now.
    If you are considering reloading, the 5.56 is a very good round to look at. Can find ammo and multiple bullet weights to suit your shooting needs for the task at hand. My :twocents:
    (as an added bonus the 7.62x54 can be fired from a Mosin nagant...runs about 80 bucks on sale and surplus ammo runs about 80 bucks for 440 rounds)[/quote]
    I agree! love the surplus rounds... if they are good enough for a superpower government they are good enough for plinking imho

Top Bottom