• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I searched the threads and couldn't find any comparison on this topic.

I'm wanting to buy a .22 handgun for plinking and target shooting. Everyone recommends the Ruger 22/45 or Mark III. I've shot a Mark III and held a 22/45. I really like the feel of the 22/45.

However, I'm being pulled towards some of the .22 revolvers. I like the revolvers made by Ruger and Taurus. I'm really curious about the .22 LR / .22 mag convertible revolvers by Ruger. I haven't shot or held a .22 revolver. I would like to have at least one revolver in my gun safe.

Again, I just want to plink and target shoot. I want something accurate and reliable. What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    The Ruger Single Six with the .22lr / .22 mag are great guns. One of the most fun to shoot and teach shooting with that I have found. With the 6" barrel they are very accurate. The ONLY drawback in my eyes is only having six rounds. We also have a S&W 22a and a GSG 1911 .22. Both great guns that are a blast to shoot. Good luck in your search.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Unlike women, you can have as many guns as you want without drawbacks; get both. If you are drawn to a revolver than get one. I have a Ruger Singlesix and it is a great and accurate gun. It's a 22lr/22mag, but I rarely shoot 22mag mainly due to cost of the ammo.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have one of each. Walther p22 and a Carter Arms Pathfinder both in .22lr

I love them both! You can't really go wrong with either a semi-auto or a revolver for fun plinking.

Like Ricnzak posted above, the Ruger Single Six is an excellent gun for the money! There is also the single ten which has a ten shot cylinder. Both of these are SA revolvers if that matters to you.

The Taurus model 94 is SA/DA and I have fired a few of those and they are fun as well and offer a 9 shot cylinder.

What do you enjoy shooting more, a revolver or a semi-auto?

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I agree with all the above. I personally chose the Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22/.22Mag convertible, almost half the price of Ruger, so I could have more to spend on my carry gun. Great little gun for the money and plenty accurate.
    I'm not putting down Ruger at all. I love them and own a Blackhawk myself, but for a nice little plinker, I chose the Heritage.
    Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your search!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If I was going with a revolver, I'd be looking for a 9 or 10 round cylinder. If not you are going to be loading more than shooting. Of course, a semi gives you multiple magazines. I have an H&R 9 shot and it's fun, but I don't use it that much; I prefer semis.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    My first handgun was a ruger single six. Great little gun. Still have it. I boils down to personal preference and finance. Semi-autos are a little less expensive than revolver in Ruger or any of the major brands. Happy shooting either way.

LEADHEAD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    SHELBYVILLE
    The real decision is which one to buy first! I have owned the ruger single six for many years, it is fun to shoot and a good handgun for the grandchildren to start with. I also have autoloaders. All are fun and essential for your armory.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    repost from other thread

I have a Ruger MKIII Target and have been researching a .22lr revolver, also interested in the convertibles, and possible a .22 mag.

I was at the range yesterday shooting my Ruger and a guy showed up that also had a Ruger MKIII a SW 617, and a SW 686. He said the 617 was worth every penny, and preferred the 4" to the 6". Keep in mind the possibility of adding rail for red dot, can do it with S&W and Ruger Single Six.

This is what I've figured out in the last few days searching around for .22 revolvers etc....

Considering .22 lr and .22 wmr and or convertibles we have a list of features:
    1) Caliber - .22 lr only, .22 mag only, convertible
    2) Sights - fixed or adjustable, accepts scope rail?
    3) Barrel length - 2" 3" 4" 5" 6" in between, longer?
    4) Action - SA, or SA/DA (DA only) (SA takes longer to load)
    5) Material - blued, stainless, airlite
    6) Capacity - 6 shooter, 8, 9, 10, 5

Charter Arms: 6 shooters, SA/DA
    Pathfinder
    2" 4" 5" barrels, stainless, .22 lr or .22 mag, 4" model includes a convertible
    $350 give or take
    Pros: convertible 4" model, price
    Cons: reliability

Taurus: 9 shooters, SA/DA
    Model 94
    2" 4" 5" barrels, stainless, blued, or ultralite, .22 lr or .22 mag, not convertible
    $350 give or take
    Tracker 990's
    4" 6" barrels, stainless or blued, .22 lr or .22 mag, convertible model
    6" will take a rib mounted scope rail
    $450 give or take
    Pros: lots of features
    Cons: reviewers love 'em or hate 'em, some mentioned baked play dough..

Heritage Arms: 6 shooters, SA
    Rough Rider
    A fleet of configurations including convertible
    $220 give or take
    Pros: price
    Cons: if it shoots what more do you want

NAA (North American Arms, MINI revolvers) 5 shooters, SA
    Black Widow etc...
    1" to 4" barrels, .22 lr mag and convertible
    $250 give or take
    Pros: super concealment
    Cons: too dang small to shoot the hell out of

Ruger: 6 / 10 shooters, SA
    Single Six, Single Ten
    4.5-9.5" barrels, convertible models (single ten .22 lr only), hunter takes scope rail, aftermarket scope rails that mount in place of rear sight, stainless or blued
    $450 give or take
    SP101 (8 shooter, SA/DA)
    4.5" barrel, stainless, .22 lr only
    $500 give or take
    Pros: versatile and accurate, hold value
    Cons: not S&W or Colt

S&W .22 lr SA/DA revolvers (there are .22 mag versions, but I omit them)
    17 - 6" and 6 shots; blued; adjustable rear sight; pinned partridge front sight; $725
    18 - 4" and 6 shots; blued; adjustable rear sight; pinned partridge front sight; $725
    63 - 3" and 8 shots; ss; adjustable rear sight; hi viz front sight; $625
    617 - 4"/6" and 10 shots; ss; adjustable rear sight; partridge front sight; $675 (can get aftermarket scope rail)
    Pros: solid choice
    Cons: price, would dissuade me from beating on it

Colt double actions, (rare, outta my price range)
    Trooper (.22 lr)

Uberti 6 shooter
    Stallion Target
    5.5" barrel, various configurations including convertible
    $550 or so
    Pros: looks
    Cons: 2nd to Ruger

Dan Wesson pistol pack
    no longer manufactured
    basically a suitcase with a .22 revolver with interchangeable grips and barrels from 2-8"
    Pros: barrel swap
    Cons: used market only

If I wanted a .22 mag only, I'd go with a cheap snubby - just to plink around with (not S&W) and try not to cry if it turns out to be a POS.:xmad:

If I wanted a .22 lr only, I'd go with S&W 617 crying once and ripping hair out to decide between 4" barrel and 6" and treat it with loving care.:D

For a convertible, I'd go with Ruger Single Six and pick 5.5" stainless model, add scope rail, and shoot the hell out of it.:ar15:

One other thing to keep in mind is that the semi-auto's will not necessarily cycle the subsonic ammo. Revolvers this is a non-issue.

The main question is what do you mostly want the gun for?

Plinking - semi auto over revolver due to larger capacity, speed of reloading, and can carry a few full mags with you
    Target - call it a draw, but, several top revolvers
    Hunting - close, but longer barreled revolvers get the nod (especially with .22 mag and .22 mag shotshells)
    Practice gun in place of regular self defense weapon - usually revolver, but close again
    Collectible - high end revolvers
    "Kit gun" (tag along gun for hiking, camping, etc...) - revolver (smaller, lighter)
    Mouse gun - many semi-autos and there are the NAA mini revolvers
    X-Factor - "coolness, or what appeals to your sense of taste" - some like a tactical semi-auto, others snubby, others a cowboy gun...

If you google these topics, Chuck Hawks covers a lot of this in his reviews.

I assume you will be mostly target shooting, or plinking, so a semi-auto (Ruger MKIII or 22/45 with 5.5" barrel and scope rail) is probably going to be your more enjoyable first gun - because - the better .22 revolvers are going to be the pricey S&W 617 and the versatile but slow to load Ruger Single Six.

Last edited:

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I like the browning buckmark great shooter, also have a gsg 1911 that I really like to. Saw a ruger a lot local shop for 300.00, two different buckmarks, one was 340 the other was 365. (yesterday) All three were nice guns

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Can't speak to semi's, but for revolvers Smith 17/18/617 is where it's at. Options include 6 rounds, 10 rounds, adjustable sights and 4"/6" barrels.

I have a 617 10 round in 4" and it's a fantastic shooter. The only thing Smith could improve on it is to place the quick change front sight system in it.

There was a 617 on the KY Armslist in Louisville for $575.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I'll add in a vote for the Ruger Single Six .22LR/.22Mag. Wheel guns are so much more reliable and the sound of the cylinder turning is just so very, very nice! ;-) Plus, .22Mag is not a bad round to keep loaded for a just in case. More powerful than most people give them credit.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You need both a semi-auto and the The Ruger Single Six. This cowboy looking gun is accurate enough to drop squirrels (of course a rifle is better, but I've taken several with my gun), and other assorted duties.

GripnRip

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Got to shoot one today

First, thanks for all the input.

Oddly enough at dinner today I was talking about my gun hunt and my wife's grandpa said he owns a Ruger Single Six. Perfect. We went over to his house and I got a chance to shoot it. Loved it. I only shot six rounds but it seemed pretty accurate (considering my shooting ability). I wasn't crazy about the sights. Does anyone know if these can be swapped out? Otherwise it looks cool and shoots great. I can see the disadvantage to the time it takes to load. I like the simplicity as well. Looks like I've got some stuff to ponder...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ive got both

I bought a browning Buckmark to teach my GF how to shoot. Unfortunatley for me she likes it alot so i hardly get to shoot it.:( But its accurate enough to hit walnuts at 20 yards. I also have a ruger single six convetable that my dad bought for me when i turned 5. Both are great guns and will do you well.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have a Ruger MkIII 22/45, and I love it , I also have a Heritage SA, revolver, and it is great my brother has a Ruger single six that he bought used SEVERAL years ago, and it is going strong.... IMHO, if I were to buy a SA .22, it would be the New Single ten, or the Heritage .....

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    First, thanks for all the input.

Oddly enough at dinner today I was talking about my gun hunt and my wife's grandpa said he owns a Ruger Single Six. Perfect. We went over to his house and I got a chance to shoot it. Loved it. I only shot six rounds but it seemed pretty accurate (considering my shooting ability). I wasn't crazy about the sights. Does anyone know if these can be swapped out? Otherwise it looks cool and shoots great. I can see the disadvantage to the time it takes to load. I like the simplicity as well. Looks like I've got some stuff to ponder...

If it has adjustable sights you can probably pull off the rear sight and stick on this scope rail, then put a red dot or the like on it.

Single Six scope mount weaver style

BSA Panoramic Multi Reticle Holo Sight (Clam Pack) - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Top Bottom