Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Anyone ever play or use this?
    1911 .22 Rimfire Conversion Kit : Cabela's

For $330 you could get a used .22 ruger as well.
    So why go this route other than to practice shooting the 1911 more on an economical scale. Sure you would be practicing the "mechanics" of firing the 1911 but not the "recoil" that a .45 vs a .22 give.

Have been looking at the kit but not sure.
    Comments?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I've got that kit for my 1911's. Its mostly to be able to practice and keep the same feel, trigger pull as with my carry and main target guns. But be able to shoot much cheaper. Cause what I've been working on is the trigger squeeze and not jerking it. This is one way to help make sure I'm getting over that and making improvements without spending a ton on ammo.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    22 cal conversion

Well you buy the conversion for your 1911 , shoot it and find you like it . You then buy a 1911 frame and make a dedicated 22 cal 1911. thats what i am going to do .
    Yes i bought a used Kimber to use on my 1911's and will soon have a dedicated 22 cal. Every one that shoots it loves it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Well you buy the conversion for your 1911 , shoot it and find you like it . You then buy a 1911 frame and make a dedicated 22 cal 1911. thats what i am going to do .
    Yes i bought a used Kimber to use on my 1911's and will soon have a dedicated 22 cal. Every one that shoots it loves it.

I really like that idea and may have to look into doing that in the future! For now mine is sitting on my V12 frame.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Haven't tried that one, but I do have one of the Marvels. It is ridiculously accurate. Mine came with a test target with a ten round group less than 3/4 inch, shot at 50 yards. Eats everything I've feed it.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    This was the only thread relating to a .22 1911 conversion and is there anyone else out there who has experience with a Kimber conversion? Or any other .22 conversion? I was looking mainly at the Kimber and Dan Wesson conversions as both companies have good reputations and I figure have a lot of users out there.

I may be getting a case of my eyes being too large for my stomach but I am wanting to do a lot with my 1911. I'd like to get a .22 conversion so I could get a suppressor and still be able to shoot on the cheap. It'd also be a great way to introduce others to shooting and more importantly :D the 1911 platform.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have one and love it. It's a lot of fun. Only complaint is that the slide doesn't hold open on the shot. If you buy one, buy extra mags because you will burn through the ammo.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Ciener (he built the first Kimber conversions if I remember right) that likes .22s out of the Winchester 333 boxes, but only one mag.

Does anyone know if Kimber/Marvel/AA mags work with a Ciener? As much as they cost, I hate to buy one and find out they don't.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Haven't tried that one, but I do have one of the Marvels. It is ridiculously accurate. Mine came with a test target with a ten round group less than 3/4 inch, shot at 50 yards. Eats everything I've feed it.

I have a Marvel too. It is the only 1911 conversion I have ever seen used in Bullseye matches. They are match grade accurate.

They do have a slightly different manual of arms than a regular 1911 - the slide does not lock back on an empty mag for one thing. If the goal was to have a gun that acted exactly like a 1911 for training purposes, this might not be the best choice.

If you already have a 1911 with a trigger you like, it would be hard to beat a Marvel.

Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I did not see if they make one from Ultra Carry II. It looks easy enough to change at the range and it would be nice to be able to fire a couple hundred rounds of .22 for fun and then switch over to .45 acp for actual practice.

EDIT: Looks like it is a 5 inch barrel so that would definitely preclude my small 1911.

Last edited:

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    it would be nice to be able to fire a couple hundred rounds of .22 for fun and then switch over to .45 acp for actual practice

You will probably find that your shooting improves more with this program than just shooting .45 all the time. I find the more .22 I shoot - pistols or rifles - the faster I improve my centerfire shooting.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I have a Marvel too. It is the only 1911 conversion I have ever seen used in Bullseye matches. They are match grade accurate.

They do have a slightly different manual of arms than a regular 1911 - the slide does not lock back on an empty mag for one thing. If the goal was to have a gun that acted exactly like a 1911 for training purposes, this might not be the best choice.

If you already have a 1911 with a trigger you like, it would be hard to beat a Marvel.

Marvel Precision 1911 .22 rimfire Conversions

Awesome...reasonably priced conversion AND the option to have a factory threaded barrel. :yesway:

I googled them but the link I went to was dead. Thanks for that one :+1:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I did not see if they make one from Ultra Carry II. It looks easy enough to change at the range and it would be nice to be able to fire a couple hundred rounds of .22 for fun and then switch over to .45 acp for actual practice.

EDIT: Looks like it is a 5 inch barrel so that would definitely preclude my small 1911.

Yep, it's for the 4" and 5" frame only so that 3" ultra frame won't work. Bummer.

MWinez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Lebanon
    STI makes a 22lr conversion for the 1911 for $375 they are identical to the Marvels conversion but for less money.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Yep, it's for the 4" and 5" frame only so that 3" ultra frame won't work. Bummer.

I've been looking at the Kimber kit but have done little research on it. I know it doesn' work on the Ultra bummer as that is my only Kimber. Does it work on like not Kimber guns like a Springfield 1911. I was assuming not (as they break down differently at least my fullsize SF and my Kimber ultra do) but don't know.

Top Bottom