• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Ive been looking into getting a new deer hunting rifle and for a long time been concidering a lever action .45lc or a .44mag....the only problem i have with getting one is i will be taking it in the woods and will go crazy if it gets nicked scratched or dinged. i dont want to spend a fortune on a rifle either. i found a rifle package made by Rossi. Single shot rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader in 21 different calibers. that peaked my interest that i can get popular calibers for a range of hunting. the calibers are everything from .17hmr and .22lr all the way to .30-06 and .45-70. and for less than 400 dollars for rifle with 3 barrels it looked very appealing.

does anyone have a rossi single shot rifle? if so is it worth buying? im not looking for a beautiful gun. it would be a rough and tumble gun carried into heat cold rain snow. just want it to shoot straight and get the job done.

here is a link if youve never seen the rifles: Rossi Wizard

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks decent. You could also consider an New England Firearms. They are break action, single shot.

Don't let a few scratches deter you from the lever gun. Mine has a few. They just add character. I can even remember putting a big gash in the walnut of my O/U shotgun. Serves as a reminder of the best hunt I ever went on.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i have the 17 hmr and i like it.it looks cheap,but i like that too.at gun shows i see them for about 250.00 w/ three barrels.i shot the 243 barrel gun.not for accuracy though.keep it clean and oiled more than a high blued gun.they seem to rust fast in the trunk.for a shooter ,i say yes w/ a little extra care in keeping away from moisture

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Rossi Wizard is vaporware. It does not yet exist other than in advertising. Same with their new 30/30 lever actions.

I have a .44 Mag single shot rossi that routinely shoots 1" groups with my handloads and a 4x scope. The open sights stink on ice.

I have an H&R/NEF in .223 and the build quality is better. Trigger is easier to work on as well, and you can have the factory install about 20 different barrels for around $135 each. Overall a better value.

My next single shot setup will be an Encore.

Jimbo Kern

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Brother in law just got a Rossi in 223... the extractor broke after only 5 rounds.

I think you owuld be better served with another brand of higher quality.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I have for my son a 22 /410 combo bought from a pawn shop for $100.00 out the door. Great little gun for learning,and I ilike to take it squirrel hunting.3x9 scope and all is well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a youth matched pair in .22Lr/.410ga, and another matched pair in .22Lr/20ga.

Both shotguns have taken deer, and both .22's have taken rabbit and squirrel. My hunting area is small, so I don't have lengthy shots, but in my opinion, they are very rugged little guns, and relatively accurate.

Your mileage may vary.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I've got the Rossi triple set (22lr,20ga, 44mag). I bought 2, one for my Dad and one for me. The 44mag shoots 1-3/4 - 1-7/8" 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. I was happily surprised with the accuracy and liked the price too.
    CamoRossi44Mag.gif

44mag5at100yrds.gif

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    This is not a new concept. HR and Thompson have made things like this for years.

From my experience, Rossi makes a reliable, affordable firearm, so I say go for it if it's caught your interest :twocents:

Top Bottom