• ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    20ga Shapleigh's King Nitro (94B)

Its an old shotgun, and I'd like to know if store bought shells are fine to use with it.
    Thoughts welcomed.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Its an old shotgun, and I'd like to know if store bought shells are fine to use with it.
    Thoughts welcomed.

Does it have Damascus (layered) steel barrels, if so then the answer is NO, not safe for modern shells.

Damascus steel is thin layers of steel and often looks very ornate:
    Watered_pattern_on_sword_blade1.Iran.JPG

It can also look 'wavy' or have other patterns but it will not be smooth like modern steel.
    random.jpg

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Thoughts welcomed.
    My Dad had my grandfathers. It was in 12 Ga. Side by side double. Hammerless. He gave it to his brother, who had it reconditioned, and shot modern shells out of it. But to be on the safe side, have a gunsmith check her out....

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'll work on posting some pics. The barell does say forged steel and is smooth, unlike the refrenced pictures. I visited Gander mountain and was told they no longer have a Gunsmith onsite. I may end up hanging it on the wall, hope to meet someone that know about reloads and maybe get some shells that way or online. This was a $40 garage sale find several years ago, and it has been tucked away until now.

Atlas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    if you are in indy, I am sure you can make plans to meet up with me or any other old arms guy and we'd let you know what you have, mate. or, hit a gun shop and ask, some places MIGHT actually be honest!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'm north of Indy, so not far. Here are some pics. What I have been able to find it Shapleighs was a hardware store, SG possibly made by H&R, Davinport, and 94B refers to Stevens model. It reads Shapleighs King Nitro or Altro, and it does say it's made of Selected Forged Steel.

P1230145.jpg

P1230143.jpg

Last edited:

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    It's pretty basic and looks same as whats on the market now, but older. The stock is made out of plastic so it's light. Once I know it's ok to shoot, I'd like to find a synthetic stock. I'm sure it's the same as most single shot SG. Based on my web reading, it appears to be a Stevens due to the #94, B would be the model.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom