• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bleachey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2019
    Petersburg
    So as usual my sons aren't even close to ready for deer season. Well, one, the other has only hunted a couple times before and wants to get into it more. Now they are adults, the older boy is 30 who has only hunted a couple times, the other is 26 and has been hunting since he was 8 or 9.

Anyway the younger boy just told me that his bow is trashed. The other doesn't have one. The wife and I have been thinking about maybe getting them each one so they can hunt. A crossbow that is. I know there are people who don't like crossbows during archery, but it is legal so here we are. Found these at Rural King in Princeton. They had one each of camo and black left so we bought them. Did a little research, they aren't Ravin or even TenPoint, but they should work for a few years until they decide to spend their own money if they want fancy ones.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Yeah, son got a deer today. On public land.

Have to call and email a few places after being harrassed by a DNR officer who doesn’t understand 312 IAC 9-3-3 h) as it’s amended for this year, and the difference between “use” and “possession”. And the fact that I am allowed to “possess” that device when it will only be used for retrieval purposes

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, son got a deer today. On public land.

Have to call and email a few places after being harrassed by a DNR officer who doesn’t understand 312 IAC 9-3-3 h) as it’s amended for this year, and the difference between “use” and “possession”. And the fact that I am allowed to “possess” that device when it will only be used for retrieval purposes
    (h) An individual must not use infrared sensors to locate or take deer. An individual must not hunt or retrieve deer with the aid of an infrared detector.

??

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    (h) An individual must not use infrared sensors to locate or take deer. An individual must not hunt or retrieve deer with the aid of an infrared detector.

??
    That changed this year but the possession and use part may need to be cleared up
    • Allows hunters to use an infrared sensor to retrieve a legally taken (dead) deer.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Me and my grandson was out all but about 2 hours yesterday in a blind and never saw a deer. It stopped raining and are now in a tree stand. Hopefully they will be moving today.
    Good luck to all youts out today.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse

??
    (H) an individual may not use an infrared sensor to aid in taking a deer.

The rule was expressly amended to allow the use to retrieve a dead deer, there is NO prohibition on the simple possession during a hunt anywhere in Indiana code (the next section (i) was even amended to remove “possess” from the electronic caller prohibition)

DNR is arguing that you “could” be using it for the pursuit and taking of a deer, which is a thought crime and not backed by the code

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    (H) an individual may not use an infrared sensor to aid in taking a deer.

The rule was expressly amended to allow the use to retrieve a dead deer, there is NO prohibition on the simple possession during a hunt anywhere in Indiana code (the next section (i) was even amended to remove “possess” from the electronic caller prohibition)

DNR is arguing that you “could” be using it for the pursuit and taking of a deer, which is a thought crime and not backed by the code
    I could see that if you were openly carrying it when hunting...now if it was in a bag different story IMO

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I had the worst opening day since I started taking the kids out 3 years ago. Complete goat rodeo anything that could go wrong did. Saw tons of deer had shots….. nothing else worked out though. No deer back at it this morning

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I could see that if you were openly carrying it when hunting...now if it was in a bag different story IMO
    There’s no language prohibiting the carrying of it, only the USE for locating or taking a deer, retrieval is expressly permitted.

It’s the same as carrying a handgun while archery hunting or assisting in a hunt, you “could” use that handgun to illegally kill an animal, but that doesn’t mean you can’t legally carry it.

The rule was also changed this year to remove “possess” from the electronic caller section, meaning you “could” have one in the field, as long as you don’t use it for hunting deer. Later in the season you could use it for a fox or coyote for example. Just because you “could” miss-use or abuse something doesn’t mean you will or are going to.

Rules are rules, and if you’re following them, there shouldn’t be any repercussions, or threats of repercussions for doing something you are legally allowed to do.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    There’s no language prohibiting the carrying of it, only the USE for locating or taking a deer, retrieval is expressly permitted.

It’s the same as carrying a handgun while archery hunting or assisting in a hunt, you “could” use that handgun to illegally kill an animal, but that doesn’t mean you can’t legally carry it.

The rule was also changed this year to remove “possess” from the electronic caller section, meaning you “could” have one in the field, as long as you don’t use it for hunting deer. Later in the season you could use it for a fox or coyote for example. Just because you “could” miss-use or abuse something doesn’t mean you will or are going to.

Rules are rules, and if you’re following them, there shouldn’t be any repercussions, or threats of repercussions for doing something you are legally allowed to do.
    Why wouldn't you just carry it out of sight until it's needed? Is someone saying it can't be carried in the field?

Personally, I believe it should never been legal anyway but legislators bypassed the DNR for drones so they included handheld devices also. And here we are……

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Why wouldn't you just carry it out of sight until it's needed? Is someone saying it can't be carried in the field?

Personally, I believe it should never been legal anyway but legislators bypassed the DNR for drones so they included handheld devices also. And here we are……

Well, aside from “hunting deer” they’ve always been legal to carry in the field, and a major plus side to their use, on public land especially, is the ability to see other hunters who’ve encroached on your hunting area, a great example being during spring turkey where there’s NO orange, everyone is completely camouflaged and hiding behind the most realistic decoys money can buy; for MY safety, and theirs, a way to see if there’s a human hiding behind that strutting Tom; or stalking towards me in the trees, towards my decoys and myself is an absolute MUST in my opinion.

Secondly, concealing something that is legal to use would absolutely make things look at least a little more suspect to a LEO in my experience, and when DNR decided it was an issue was when the deer was being drug out of the field, a textbook example of “retrieval” which again, IF it was deployed at that time, it would have been during the legally allowed time period.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Well, aside from “hunting deer” they’ve always been legal to carry in the field, and a major plus side to their use, on public land especially, is the ability to see other hunters who’ve encroached on your hunting area, a great example being during spring turkey where there’s NO orange, everyone is completely camouflaged and hiding behind the most realistic decoys money can buy; for MY safety, and theirs, a way to see if there’s a human hiding behind that strutting Tom; or stalking towards me in the trees, towards my decoys and myself is an absolute MUST in my opinion.

Secondly, concealing something that is legal to use would absolutely make things look at least a little more suspect to a LEO in my experience, and when DNR decided it was an issue was when the deer was being drug out of the field, a textbook example of “retrieval” which again, IF it was deployed at that time, it would have been during the legally allowed time period.
    how much does something like that set you back for a good one (recommend any?)? after hearing your perspective I’m interested - I never really considered using it in such beneficial ways. I’m all for adding safety

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In

So people are carrying a drone when when hunting but not using it? I think I lost you on what device is being used!

A CO told someone they couldn’t possess a device in the field?

BTW….I thought the use of drones on(public land)Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) property such as state parks, natural and recreational areas is by permission/permit ONLY.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This crap right here is why I shoot pigs in Texas. I feel like I need a lawyer with if I were to hunt for deer here. I support hunting here. But jeeez.

Compared to...
    "To encourage hunters to shoot more pigs, TPWD has made the regulations simple and easy to follow. In Texas, hunters on private property do not need a hunting license to pursue pigs however, a license is still required to hunt public land. Feral hogs have also been classified as an unprotected species which means there are no restrictions on bag limits, seasons, shooting light hours, or method of take."

.. and before I someone asks, Yes I have seen a beltfed used to blast hogs..

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Couldn’t agree more with Big Moose!
    The hunting regulations across the board are so onerous you do need a lawyer to figure them out. All this is compounded by idiotic bureaucrats changing the rules willy nilly every two minutes.

Top Bottom