• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Still have another two weeks of archery season left, though it may be cold and wintery.
    I may need it too.
    Still looking for my buck...
    I haven't shot a bow in 30 years, so this morning is it for me. I would like to get back into archery but getting a better firearm setup for my kids is first priority.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Was near Royal Center which is west of Logansport. Within a 5 mile radius in the evening counted 3 groups of deer. They were huge does. Only saw one small buck. We had to stop the truck on the road twice. Within that 3 groups there was a total of 62 that we could count. There seems to be a total lack of hunters in the area!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I haven't shot a bow in 30 years, so this morning is it for me. I would like to get back into archery but getting a better firearm setup for my kids is first priority.
    I'm shooting a crossbow.
    It's not top of the line, but it's not on the bottom either.
    It's a Barnett Quad 400.
    Shoots a bolt at 340fps.
    Not exactly quiet, and it's heavy, but it does the job, and at 340fps it doesn't give the deer much time to "jump the string".
    Think I paid around $300, but that was several years ago.
    I'd love to have one of the newer styles, but at $2k+ I'll hold onto the Barnett for now.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Last day of muzzleloader season is cold but mostly clear and calm.
    Here deer, deer, deer...
    Sitting out today kids bday party I guess I’m eating regular season tag soup…… first time since my first 3 seasons when I first picked up hunting. maybe do a sit late season archery? I have a spot that is urban also…… tiny 3 acre lot but deer bed on it…. Tons of houses I really hate hunting it. But I have an itch getting both my daughters their deer was great but didn’t scratch it lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sitting out today kids bday party I guess I’m eating regular season tag soup…… first time since my first 3 seasons when I first picked up hunting. maybe do a sit late season archery? I have a spot that is urban also…… tiny 3 acre lot but deer bed on it…. Tons of houses I really hate hunting it. But I have an itch getting both my daughters their deer was great but didn’t scratch it lol
    I have a tiny spot that I hunt in Tippecanoe county that is so close to houses that some days I can smell breakfast cooking, and coffee brewing.
    One day I heard someone's alarm going off in the morning.
    All of that is no more than 30 yards behind me as I look down over a hillside.
    It is 47 yards to the county road at the bottom of the hill.
    There is sporadic, but constant vehicular traffic on the road, but I also see joggers, people walking their dogs, people driving by slowly looking for a place to dump trash...
    With all of this going on in such close proximity I'm amazed that I even see any deer but I have managed to take at least one deer per season from this tiny spot.
    Over the past 15 years I think I have eaten tag soup on 3 occasions.
    One year I took 4 deer from that one little spot.

It can be done.
    Believe me.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I have a tiny spot that I hunt in Tippecanoe county that is so close to houses that some days I can smell breakfast cooking, and coffee brewing.
    One day I heard someone's alarm going off in the morning.
    All of that is no more than 30 yards behind me as I look down over a hillside.
    It is 47 yards to the county road at the bottom of the hill.
    There is sporadic, but constant vehicular traffic on the road, but I also see joggers, people walking their dogs, people driving by slowly looking for a place to dump trash...
    With all of this going on in such close proximity I'm amazed that I even see any deer but I have managed to take at least one deer per season from this tiny spot.
    Over the past 15 years I think I have eaten tag soup on 3 occasions.
    One year I took 4 deer from that one little spot.

It can be done.
    Believe me.
    Yeah I’m in the same boat my stand is 15yds from the house and then the deer bed ON TOP of the other house at the back of the property …… so knowing your target and what is beyond becomes extremely important. I don’t feel too bad with tag soup because I don’t think I have ever let as many deer walk as I did this year. Atleast 15 encounters where I could have got a deer but trying to give the deer a break on my 20 acres a new hunter showed up this year nice enough guy but killing everything that crossed him.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So far I see no deer movement at all today.
    Very few squirrels and only a handful of birds.
    Did Biden announce a wildlife quarantine or something?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Pass the salt, tag soup for me, too.

Hardly saw anything the last 2 years. I'm on my new property that I now learned seeds some tending to make it good deer habitat. Plan on converting about 1/2 an acre of corn field to a food plot and cover grasses/vegetation. Hopefully that will help next year be better.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Tag soup for me and the three oldest hoosierkiddos. Didn't see anything this morning and won't be able to get out this afternoon. I'm a Cubs fan so I'm used to saying better luck next year.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Saw two spikes and 5 doe last night. Being 4:15 pm doubt I go tonight. Saving my kitchen pass for a coyote hunt after dark. I will late archery hunt. Between my boy and I we put 5 in the freezer, as for big bucks, can't shoot what you can't see ..

My boy shot his biggest, that's all that matters to me. As with watching the colts, there's always next year.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I'm shooting a crossbow.
    It's not top of the line, but it's not on the bottom either.
    It's a Barnett Quad 400.
    Shoots a bolt at 340fps.
    Not exactly quiet, and it's heavy, but it does the job, and at 340fps it doesn't give the deer much time to "jump the string".
    Think I paid around $300, but that was several years ago.
    I'd love to have one of the newer styles, but at $2k+ I'll hold onto the Barnett for now.
    Got same crossbow. I had fails with scopes on it and went with green laser. 4 years and I have seen 25-30 yard shots or farther does ducking. I swear I shot at same one twice and missed. 3rd time I swear same one and she was looking for me. 28 yds I aim bottom of the heart and she ducked and spine shot her! Dropped her. I found out 345fps is no match for a deer that can move 1500fps…. Lol.

Top Bottom