• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    HB 1651 (Donna Schaibley, Judicial Evaluation of Dangerous Individuals AKA strengthens protections in the Laird Law) had it's first reading in the Senate today and is assigned to the Judiciary Committee along with HB 1284. Neither bill is up on the 13 March agenda.

Standing by to see if 1253 comes up for hearing in the Education and Career Development Committee next week.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As promised, here's more. E-mailing Senators is different than e-mailing Reps, have to copy/paste their address into your e-mail rather than all from the IGA site. Draft is below as is the link to get to the Judiciary Committee members. The R's are solid 2A supporters from what I've researched. Don't waste your time on the D's unless you really want to do that.

Senate Committee on Judiciary - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

(Senator name here),
    IÂ’m writing to encourage your support of HB 1284: Self Defense and the Defense of Others, authored by Representative Lucas, co-authored by Representatives Stutzman, Smaltz, and Goodin, and sponsored by Senators Tomes, Messmer, and Gartens.
    HB 1284 provides for civil immunity in cases of justified use of force. Despite what the billÂ’s opponents say, without justification under the law there is no immunity.
    The justified use of force is well codified in IC 35-41 Chapter 3 section 2. It covers: the reasonable force in response to imminent unlawful force and when reasonable force includes deadly force: Occupied residence or vehicle, better known as Castle Doctrine; to prevent the loss of life, serious bodily injury, or a forcible felony; and to prevent the hijacking of an aircraft.
    IC 35-41 Chapter 3 section 2 also contains the words: No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary. I do not believe this means the citizens of the Great State of Indiana should be required to bankrupt themselves proving their innocence after being declared legally justified in using force under the law.
    Again, your support of HB 1284 is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Name
    Address
    Phone

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sure wish we could our spineless politicians to bring up constitutional carry again and actually bring it to a vote.
    Kentucky just became the 16th state to pass constitutional carry, making 32% of the states not asking for a bribe to exercise our constitutional right

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    As promised, here's more. E-mailing Senators is different than e-mailing Reps, have to copy/paste their address into your e-mail rather than all from the IGA site. Draft is below as is the link to get to the Judiciary Committee members. The R's are solid 2A supporters from what I've researched. Don't waste your time on the D's unless you really want to do that.

Senate Committee on Judiciary - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

(Senator name here),
    IÂ’m writing to encourage your support of HB 1284: Self Defense and the Defense of Others, authored by Representative Lucas, co-authored by Representatives Stutzman, Smaltz, and Goodin, and sponsored by Senators Tomes, Messmer, and Gartens.
    HB 1284 provides for civil immunity in cases of justified use of force. Despite what the billÂ’s opponents say, without justification under the law there is no immunity.
    The justified use of force is well codified in IC 35-41 Chapter 3 section 2. It covers: the reasonable force in response to imminent unlawful force and when reasonable force includes deadly force: Occupied residence or vehicle, better known as Castle Doctrine; to prevent the loss of life, serious bodily injury, or a forcible felony; and to prevent the hijacking of an aircraft.
    IC 35-41 Chapter 3 section 2 also contains the words: No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary. I do not believe this means the citizens of the Great State of Indiana should be required to bankrupt themselves proving their innocence after being declared legally justified in using force under the law.
    Again, your support of HB 1284 is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Name
    Address
    Phone

OK...I've lost track. (Just haven't been following it as closely this year for some reason). Is this "it" for gun stuff this year?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK...I've lost track. (Just haven't been following it as closely this year for some reason). Is this "it" for gun stuff this year?
    HB 1253 is assigned to the education and career development committee. That was firearms training for teachers. There is also HP 1651 assigned to judiciary that strengthens the Laird law. My sources tell me HB 1643 which combined church Carry, School property definition and five-year NICS exempt LTCH/free lifetime Maybe making a comeback as an amendment to another bill.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sure wish we could our spineless politicians to bring up constitutional carry again and actually bring it to a vote.
    Kentucky just became the 16th state to pass constitutional carry, making 32% of the states not asking for a bribe to exercise our constitutional right
    We got beat by Kentucky and Oklahoma. That is embarrassing.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A supportive legislator said they received many calls against Constitutional Carry by current permit holders that were worried they would lose their permits. Go figure, our own worst enemy...

MM

Did get quantify numerous?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

A couple of years ago, before the summer study diversion, I was with a group that talked to a committee chairman. He told us that in his constituent survey, a significan majority of folks in his district, a republican district, were very much against CC.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A couple of years ago, before the summer study diversion, I was with a group that talked to a committee chairman. He told us that in his constituent survey, a significan majority of folks in his district, a republican district, were very much against CC.
    The educating never ends.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Saturday morning bump! The IGA site has changed the order of the bills, HB 1284 is batting lead-off at 0900.

Top Bottom