• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How big do I need to make the firebox to burn 16 hours? How many pounds of charcoal? Lit or unlit?

You talkin about a UDS?

Even a medium sized basket will probably do 16 hours. But I liked his best, with a 15" weber charcoal grate surrounded by a 24" (or was it 18"?) high ring of expanded steel.

Light 20-30 briquettes and dump it on top of a full basket with some wood chunks spread around. A full basket will probably hold 15-20 pounds.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You talkin about a UDS?

Even a medium sized basket will probably do 16 hours. But I liked his best, with a 15" weber charcoal grate surrounded by a 24" (or was it 18"?) high ring of expanded steel.

Light 20-30 briquettes and dump it on top of a full basket with some wood chunks spread around. A full basket will probably hold 15-20 pounds.

double 55 gal barrels setup

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Here I am, making ribs in the oven again...

IMG_20130909_150819_626_zps98fdbd72.jpg

IMG_20130909_150915_729_zps34330ecf.jpg

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    No, but I've thought about it. Never used it before, we're 4 hours in of cooking, too late to apply?
    You could probably give them a brushing, even this late in the game. Wouldn't go too heavy, tho. They've probably developed a crust by now. I usually rub it directly on the meat before I apply rub, if I'm doing them in the oven. If you're going to make sauce, you could add a bit to the sauce for a touch of smoky flavour.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You could probably give them a brushing, even this late in the game. Wouldn't go too heavy, tho. They've probably developed a crust by now. I usually rub it directly on the meat before I apply rub, if I'm doing them in the oven. If you're going to make sauce, you could add a bit to the sauce for a touch of smoky flavour.

they haven't developed a crust yet...I had to stack 3 racks of ribs and rotating them every hour or so. They turned out pretty well last time, I think they will again. I was wanting to do a sunday dinner for my extended family, but they were too busy. Oh well, more for us...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    When we did the bbq boot camp this spring they told us that once the meat reaches an internal temp of 140 degrees it no longer absorbs any flavor from the smoke due to the chemical reactions between the meat and smoke. But it can't hurt to try!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Now that I'm stocked up, I'll share this info. Meijer in Camby has baby backs on sale for $2.49 per pound!! This is an awesome price, I bought in bulk (400-500 racks ber week) for my former employer and never saw them this cheap.

UDS is running as I type this.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Now that I'm stocked up, I'll share this info. Meijer in Camby has baby backs on sale for $2.49 per pound!! This is an awesome price, I bought in bulk (400-500 racks ber week) for my former employer and never saw them this cheap.

UDS is running as I type this.

Did you happen to notice the pricing on spare ribs? I prefer St. Louis style ribs.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Did you happen to notice the pricing on spare ribs? I prefer St. Louis style ribs.

They had 3 racks of spares left @ $0.99lb, but I bought them all. St. Louis are $2.79 or $2.89 I think. Babies are usually more expensive than St. Louis. I prefer St. Louis as well, but couldn't pass up the price for baby backs.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Apple season is here!

Did some pruning on the trees and it left me with some decent sized sticks. I saved and cut up the ones that were at least as thick as my thumb. Anyone here ever used sticks that size for smoking? How well do they work compared to chunks?

And do I need to let them season outside for a while before using them?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The greener the better for smoking.

:n00b:

Negative. Some green woods (primarily fruit woods) work ok in some smokers. They are going to require quite a bit more heat to burn than seasoned wood, which could be a problem in a UDS. The smoke from green hickory or oak is nasty and makes the food taste nasty. The smoke from green mesquite is actually toxic.

Green apple wood should be fine as long as the UDS is hot enough to burn it, but it may have a bit of a different flavor than seasoned apple.

Top Bottom