• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Fortress Defense is proud to host John & Vicki Farnam at the Sand Burr Gun Ranch, May 13-22!

:patriot:

2011 DTI Course Schedule For Rochester, Indiana

May 13 ~ Lecture for classes on the 14th and 15th. by John Farnam (6:30pm EST)

May 14-15 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only.

May 14-15 ~ Basic/Intermediate Handgun Instructed by John Farnam. Cost $525 Open to all.

May 17-18 ~ Urban Rifle Instructed by John Farnam. Cost $525 Open to all

May 20, 21, 22 DTI Instructors Course [Contact us for prerequisits] Cost $600

May 21-22 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only.

All classes start at 8:45am EST unless otherwise noted.

A $200 deposit is required for each class. Deposits, in check or money order form, made out to "DTI", to be mailed to:

DTI/ILL
    P.O. Box 385
    Crete, IL 60417

Courses will be held at:

The Sand Burr Gun Ranch
    2111 East 350 North
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-223-3316

GPS:
    41deg 06min 20.76sec N
    86deg 12min 13.25sec W

Hotel Information:

Super 8
    209 E. McDonalds Rd.
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-224-8080

Comfort Inn
    289 McDonalds Rd.
    Rochester, Indiana 46975
    574-223-7300

Ask for the DTI rate.

Please don't forget that Rochester, IN is on EASTERN TIME!

Contacts:

Dr. Paula Bratich
    708-710-2511
    redcolt55@att.net

Frank Sharpe, Jr.
    708-362-0786
    dtomfrank@hotmail.com

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Farnams are awesome. I will do my best to arrange my schedule to allow me to attend at least one of their classes this spring.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We're looking forward to seeing you there, Joe!!! :rockwoot:

I just put handgun and urban rifle in my calendar. It looks like I have a window of opportunity between spring semester and summer session, just like two years ago. I'll do my best!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I just put handgun and urban rifle in my calendar. It looks like I have a window of opportunity between spring semester and summer session, just like two years ago. I'll do my best!

You should do rifle and the Instructors course, you've already had the handgun course. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am honored by being honored, sir!

Hey, if I do both, I'll be in Rochester, IN with time on my hands on the 19th. That could only lead to trouble!

Can you summarize the curriculum for the instructor course?

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I am honored by being honored, sir!

Hey, if I do both, I'll be in Rochester, IN with time on my hands on the 19th. That could only lead to trouble!

Can you summarize the curriculum for the instructor course?

Farnam and Rhino on the loose in Rochester - heaven help us!

Instructors course...

Half-day of semi-auto instruction, half day on revolvers (Denny Reichert will be in on that)

Half-day of rifle, half day of shotgun. Night shoot/night shoot instruction.

Half-day with Vicki regarding instruction of female students, the rest of the time spent on general teaching techniques.

Students will all take turns running the firing line - lots of role playing with problem solving on the range.

You pretty much get to steal from John and Vicki for 3-days. Who knows what the future holds but I know it will be a couple of years before we offer this course in IN again, and with what you and your brother do, I'd consider it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would be foolish to pass up.

It will be worth every penny and greatly contribute to your program.

BIX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I took the instructors course in 2009. I would add that the class is as much (really, more) instruction in adult education as it is in shooting/fighting methodology. Some folks may conceive of an instructors class as an 'advanced-advanced' shooting class. That's not what this is. We did some shooting, but the fundamental thread running through the curriculum was 'how do we effectively convey information'.

Interestingly, I've taken some very specific things I learned in this class about effective communication and applied them in my job (which has nothing to do with teaching folks to shoot) with great success.

One of the areas where you sometime see instructors whiffing is getting the good stuff out of their head and into someone else's - particularly when dealing with an anomalous student. This class focuses squarely on that skillset.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Excellent ... I'll make this my priority for 2011.

Farnam and Rhino on the loose in Rochester - heaven help us!

Instructors course...

Half-day of semi-auto instruction, half day on revolvers (Denny Reichert will be in on that)

Half-day of rifle, half day of shotgun. Night shoot/night shoot instruction.

Half-day with Vicki regarding instruction of female students, the rest of the time spent on general teaching techniques.

Students will all take turns running the firing line - lots of role playing with problem solving on the range.

You pretty much get to steal from John and Vicki for 3-days. Who knows what the future holds but I know it will be a couple of years before we offer this course in IN again, and with what you and your brother do, I'd consider it a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that would be foolish to pass up.

It will be worth every penny and greatly contribute to your program.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Still room in the pistol couse - rifle is about 75% full - Instructors course is about 75%. Plenty of space in the women's course!

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Cross referencing on the Fortress Defense site, is the Women's Basic Handgun with Mrs. Farnham equivalent to the Women's Defensive Pistol Level I on the Fortress site?

Women's Defensive Pistol Level I

My wife just got her LTCH & first thing I want to do is get her immersed in some solid mindset/legal/practical training.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Cross referencing on the Fortress Defense site, is the Women's Basic Handgun with Mrs. Farnham equivalent to the Women's Defensive Pistol Level I on the Fortress site?

Women's Defensive Pistol Level I

My wife just got her LTCH & first thing I want to do is get her immersed in some solid mindset/legal/practical training.

Well, the major difference is that our Women's Basic Course is NOT taught by Vicki Farnam, lol. We also don't have any scheduled in the near future.

The DTI course will also have the legal portion lecture presented by John Farnam.

It really doesn't get any better than the Farnam's when it comes to the complete package, and they will get you wife squared away with exactly what you're looking for!

All the Fortress Staff are DTI Instructors, but none of us are John or Vicki.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Well, the major difference is that our Women's Basic Course is NOT taught by Vicki Farnam, lol. We also don't have any scheduled in the near future.

All the Fortress Staff are DTI Instructors, but none of us are John or Vicki.

I'm confused... the OP says,
    "Fortress Defense is proud to host John & Vicki Farnam at the Sand Burr Gun Ranch, May 13-22!

"May 14-15 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only."

Pardon the stupid questions, what do you mean by 'Instructed by Vicki Farnam'? And why did you say you don't have any scheduled in the near future when the OP states the Women's series is on May 14 & 15?

Thanks for cluing me in.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I'm confused... the OP says,
    "Fortress Defense is proud to host John & Vicki Farnam at the Sand Burr Gun Ranch, May 13-22!

"May 14-15 ~ Women's Basic Handgun Instructed by Vicki Farnam. Cost $525 Open to women only."

Pardon the stupid questions, what do you mean by 'Instructed by Vicki Farnam'? And why did you say you don't have any scheduled in the near future when the OP states the Women's series is on May 14 & 15?

Thanks for cluing me in.

Yes! We are hosting John and Vicki - we're bringing them in to teach their courses, not ours.

I understood your question to be: Is the Fortress course the equivalent of the Farnam course. My answer is: in structure and philosophy, but Vicki is Vicki. She has the name and she is who she is, and that's why we host Vicki and John once a year - we want those who are able to experience the Farnams because we believe that they are the best in the business with what they do.

Again, Fortress does NOT have any Women's Level I Courses on the schedule right now, but we are hosting Women's Defensive Handgun Course this May that is taught by Vicki Farnam.
    :patriot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom