• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I am experienceing the pre-season buck fever, Stands have been set, trails cleared, hours of practice. Who else is just waiting to get out there this year. Anyone have good scout reports? I've seen a heavy 8 pt, and a real nice 12 pointer also know there are more like them in my two areas.

jlm223

Aim Small Miss Small
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Muncie
    I have checked six stands to make sure they were still their and safe.
    Put the finishing touches on a shooting shack that was started in the spring, believed to be in good spot. Have been shooting my bow at least twice a week for the past month, sometimes more. Purchased a dozen new arrows. Deer trails still being used, have seen some smaller deer in the area. I think I am ready. :ingo:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Use to be ready an couldn't wait....now...I'm more patient, like it much cooler an the last 2 weeks before gun the bucks are moving more an respond to calling. I have scouted last fri. an found some small tree rubs an land owner has seen a big 8 pt. Bow an set up is all ready to go an portable can be put up in minutes...now come on cooler weather!!!

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Checked 1 stand and hung a new one last weekend, looked around a bit, saw they were still using the trail I'm hunting, and got out of the woods.........
    I can't wait.
    This being only the second year I am hunting again, (took a 12 year break), and also with a bow, I am very excited..........

Maybe I will get lucky this year and actually get one.............:rolleyes:.

Saw plenty last year, (5 total) and was reminded every time why it's called HUNTING and not "killing"...........I'll spare ya the embarrassing details.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    well I'm a little behind the 8 ball. I just sighted my bow in tonite. just had it restrung and doz. new arrows. really had to adjust the sights on that. Im only good out to 30 yards tho. I really don't like taking longer shots than that anyway. I also haven't had a chance to scout so I will probably be doing most of that on the opening weekend!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I haven't drawn the string on my bow since turkey season.

I went to my early bow season hot spot today and didn't see a persimmon left on the trees. They were ALL on the ground. The persimmon tree at the house has hardly dropped any fruit and the persimmon trees at my other spot still have about all the fruit on the tree. I think it's the dry weather and the difference in elevation has the higher trees more dried up and causing them to drop fruit early.

Oak trees are starting to get in to high gear dropping acorns. That may be the ticket by bow opener.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    well I'm a little behind the 8 ball. I just sighted my bow in tonite. just had it restrung and doz. new arrows. really had to adjust the sights on that. Im only good out to 30 yards tho. I really don't like taking longer shots than that anyway. I also haven't had a chance to scout so I will probably be doing most of that on the opening weekend!

The peep probably moved as the old string stretched or they put it in different on the new string.

Close your eyes and draw the bow to your normal anchor point standing straigh with good shooting posture, now open your eye and if you are not looking straight through the peep then move it to where your eye is. Now start fixing your sights.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I've been mentally ready since the close of last season. Started from scratch this year, kept 4 old sets, hung somewhere in the neighborhood of 18-20 new ones. Have a set of 175+" sheds staring at me right now and 2 unmatched sides in excess of 70". Shooting a minimun of 100 arrows a week at 80 yards (makes 50 feel like a slam dunk). Back up bow that's identical to my main bow is all dialed in. All broadheads shot, tuned, and resharpened. Hunt scheduled for Oct 21-26 with a buddy in northern Missouri. Hunt tenatively scheduled in Nebraska for sometime the first half of December with a guy I've never met (trading hunts no $$$$ changing hands). Still have to organize my hunting room/clothes/gear before opening day, it's an absolute DISASTER!!! Anyway, good luck guys, post up your DEAD PICS!!

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    It's all going to depend on the weather opening weekend. I'll either be sitting in the woods or sitting in my boat. We'll see.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    All stands are hung, climber is ready, ground blind is in the toolbox in the truck. Got the bow tuned in the last few weeks, shooting lanes and paths cleared. Camo got washed this week, camelback is in the backpack along with the rangefinder, extra knife, extra release, first-aid kit, scent killer, zip-ties, ect....

Extended forecast is calling for a low of 43 and a high of 67, windy with a 50% chance of rain but we'll see..... I'm as ready as i'll ever be i guess. I didn't get a chance to hang the trailcam this year but i did jump a nice tall racked buck when i was on the tractor last week. I will say that the first doe that walks by will be going in the deep freeze. I have 5lbs of burger left and used my last few packs of backstraps this week.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I've checked the stands and tried to practice some but I hurt my shoulder so practice has been kinda slow. But I will make it to the woods for opening weekend!

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I've definitely got the itch! Just fletched some new arrows and got some new prototype cams on my Oneida Stealth. Was starting to sight in when I noticed my cable was fraying where the aluminum had a bit of an edge. Had to do a bit of polishing and now got some replacement cables on the way to get it back up and running. She's very impressive so far!

Stand is already in the woods and the persimmons are dropping. My bow will take a few minutes to tune in, but I'm ready!

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Checked 1 stand and hung a new one last weekend, looked around a bit, saw they were still using the trail I'm hunting, and got out of the woods.........
    I can't wait.
    This being only the second year I am hunting again, (took a 12 year break), and also with a bow, I am very excited..........

Maybe I will get lucky this year and actually get one.............:rolleyes:.

Saw plenty last year, (5 total) and was reminded every time why it's called HUNTING and not "killing"...........I'll spare ya the embarrassing details.

I came back from an 18 year break about 4 years ago ... and 2 yrs ago I got my first deer (I know pictures or your lying ;)) ... I get to go this weekend for something all new ... total hunt w/ a camera ... since I am taking my nephew's boy out for his first deer hunt (youth season) ... I have been out for "Scouting" season (i.e. squirrels) and spooked a couple.

As to being excited I lost a bout a third of my deer in a power outage, so I am really REALLY excited:rockwoot: can't wait for the 2nd ... although I expect this weekend to be good too.

oh and yes ... as I highlighted in the quotes - its hunting ... well said ... too many people think its about the killing ... it isn't.

Good Luck Everyone ...

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    going out on Sunday to check out the woods been hunting the same woods for about 10 years two good funnel areas that is all I need but will check it out. Good luck to all you hunters and above all be SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

harleyrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Mooresville
    Well, I've missed the bow opener for the last few seasons and will probably miss it again this year (home projects not completed yet). Really not that big of deal. With this heat, it may be a good thing. I've been shooting well when I've had my bow out. Come mid-month, I should be ready to hit it hard.

HR

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    My new cables arrived yesterday and I got them put on last night and was shooting a bit on the porch. The fever has hit and there's only one cure! Going to be doing some fine tuning and sighting in the next few nights and I'll be ready to go!

Top Bottom