• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    I'm looking for recommendations for a good, reliable 20 gage semi auto shotgun. I LOVE my remington 870 in 12 for me, but I have a wife and daughter who are very recoil sensitive. Price is negotiable within reason as I don't have the money now anyway and I'll save up for it (and a 1911 for me :)) . I'd want it primarily for home defense, so reliability is the most important factor, though if there was a good compromise barrel length we'd like to be able to do some skeet shooting with it too. I'm saving up my Cabelas points as we speak. Any thoughts?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Remington Model 1100's are very reliable, most have excellent wood on them, and hold value well. May not be as "Tactical" as some, but I've never had one fail. There are different models (different stocks) for shorter shooters, and aftermarket stocks as well.

For really light weight (kids or dove shoots) the Benelli and Frachi lines are in the 5-6 pound range, excellent quality, hold value well, but cost a little more.

Both are available at Indiana Gun Club for rental, if you'd like to try them before you buy them.

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are lots of options but if you are looking for reduced recoil focus on gas operated guns and consider a mercury compensator added to the front IMHO....I have a Beretta A303 that anyone could shoot...it may take a while but you can probably find one used in the $500 range....a new one is closed to $1300 :yesway:

Last edited:

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    I hunt deer with a Remington 1100 20 gauge with a hasting rifled barrel. It is a great gun. I also have a regular barrel that i use to use to hunt small game. It is a very mild kicking gun. Before this i had an 870 youth and that was a horrible gun to shout.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Find a Remington LT-20. It is a lightweight version of the 1100. I've got a Special Field model that has the straight stock and a 21" vent rib barrel. Great for rabbit hunting. It's the gun I've done the best with trap shooting (I suck). If you are quick on the target, it's great for trap. I've also got a slug barrel and I'm pretty sure you can find rifled slug barrels for them as well.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My 303 also has an English stock....great field gun...I use it for everything from rabbit to squirrel to pheasant

I just picked up a 303 12 ga with English stck last week....can't wait to shoot it.:yesway:

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    20 gauge ammo around

If you happen to find a 20 gauge shotgun PTinbound, there are a bunch of Winchester 20 gauge slugs for it at the 86th St. China-Mart in Indy...

TK :ingo:

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    remington 11-87 sportsman Bought one for my 7 year old son i will soon be buying another for my self as soon as i sell my 12 gauge 11-87 . That is probaby one of the best shotguns i have ever hunted with .

Top Bottom