• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBLStack1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    Ok here it goes for my first post other than introduction. This was my second day carrying my pistol with my LTCH. Back story. I bought a used truck at a dealership June 28 of this year. Dealership was having a hard time locating the title. So just before the august was over they gave me a dealer plate to use which was going to expire in 3 days. I called them up about new sticker. Dealership " we will call u when they come in" Ok sounds good. We were leaving on vacation in a few days so I figured we would get them before we left. No call. So we leave for a week and get back no voicemail on the matter. So Monday I called the dealership about the title and stickers. They did not have the title yet but did have stickers. So I immediatly drive to town with my old plates to get new stickers. While on my way to town I pass a local CO (who lives like 2 miles from me) on a 4 lane highway then he gets right behind me. After about 3 miles I see the lights go on. (probably recognizes my truck) I think he is pulling me over for coasting down a hill and going over the speed limit. So I pulled over and rolled all my windows down Front/Rear/ and Bed window (my windows are tinted so you can't even see in during the day).
    Officer approaches the drivers/ other officer passenger window and I already had my license and permit out the window for him and my hands at 10-2.
    Me: I have a carrying permit and have a firearm in the vehicle.
    Officer: Where?
    Me: My door by my hip.
    Officer: ok just don't go for it. I pulled you over because your plate is registered for another.
    Me: I explained to him the above situation and gave him the number and to
    call.
    Officer: ok but your driving illegally and you should not be on the road.
    Me: just call the lady and she will explain everything I just talked to her 10 minutes ago.
    Officer: can open the door and see the firearm. ( he opens the door looks at the gun and closes it then walks back towards his truck and is talking to the other officer on the curb. 5-10 mins later he walks back up to my window )
    Officer: your story sounds legit.
    Me: did you call her?
    Officer: no but it sounds legit to me. I'm going to let you go but any other cop would have your vehicle towed. ( at this point I'm getting irratated)
    Me: any other officer would have called to check the story out.
    Officer: I need to see your firearm again.
    Me: Why? It hasn't moved.
    Officer: I need to see if it's not stolen.
    Me: I bought it back in march from dealer up the road. Just a heads up it has one in the tube.
    Officer opens up my door and pulls gun out of the holster and rights serial number down reholster gun and closes my door.
    Me: am I free to go.
    Officer: yes

So I leave.

All in all I think did everything right besides that on smart a$$ comment. I would have given him a +1 if he would have called her.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sounds like a pretty routine stop. I'm sure they'd already run the info down on you and you checked out fine.
    The officer seemed to give you a break and I'd be happy to save the hassles of tow, ticket, time lost, and expenses.
    I wouldn't like having my firearm taken, numbered, and checked, but I'll go along with the program as far as I can in trying to be a law abiding citizen. It sounds like a positive stop by you and LEO.
    Be thankful you got the break and get the title and registration taken care of to get legal.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wait, he checked the firearm (the thing that had nothing to do with the stop) but never bothered to check the vehicle that was affixed with tags from another car to see if THAT was stolen? What kind of a moron was he?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    He was correct though, right? You were driving illegally? MAke the dealer inconvenience themselves and drive it out to you. Crappy customer service is annoying

DBLStack1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    He was correct though, right? You were driving illegally? MAke the dealer inconvenience themselves and drive it out to you. Crappy customer service is annoying

Yes it does! I'm at the dealership now to get title stuff after 3 months of waiting. I'm going to try and get a free bedliner out of the deal.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sounds to me like if you don't get your vehicle title very soon...that the dealership is gonna be in a world of hurt...

By chance, is this car lot a used-only lot, or an actual bona-fide factory dealership?

-J-

DBLStack1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    Sounds to me like if you don't get your vehicle title very soon...that the dealership is gonna be in a world of hurt...

By chance, is this car lot a used-only lot, or an actual bona-fide factory dealership?

-J-

Actual dealership. Not going to mention the name because the woman dealing with it has been great but it's the largest multi dealership in Lafayette.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Wait, he checked the firearm (the thing that had nothing to do with the stop) but never bothered to check the vehicle that was affixed with tags from another car to see if THAT was stolen? What kind of a moron was he?
    It's funny, reading State V. Richardson, as referenced above, there was one line that really stood out:
    ...the fact remains that Richardson‟s
    production of a valid gun permit should have resulted in the termination of any further question-ing.

How many times has that been repeated around here recently?
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman Bold]
    [/FONT]

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    QFT I wonder how many box tops he had to send in to get his badge? When will people stop putting up with these illegal searches and stand up for themselves?

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    WHy did you get your LTCH out in the first place? You just open the window for other problems. Unless asked, you dont need to show it unless the law has changed.

DBLStack1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    I know I don't have to inform but if I was a LEO I would want to know. It's more of a respect thing for me. If they were to tow the truck and I reach in a grab my pistol do you think it would have freaked them out. I want to go home every night just like they do. I have a some what dangerous job myself. So if someone can inform me of potential danger I appreciate it.

DBLStack1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    Police Officer Under Investigation for Aggressiveness

This is a story about a Canton, OH police officer who lost his mind on at least two separate occasions when he found out the driver was armed.

Ya I've seen the video. Total bad cop.The traffic stop was done totally wrong. It's his own damn fault he didn't know a gun was in the car. I have one LEO that lives 2 houses down from me (very nice woman), one lives 1 mile, and the other 2 live about 2 miles from me and if I get stopped again I will always show my permit. Not all cops are bad most aren't around here. One more thing I only donate to 2 agencies one the fire department and the other is the police. The reason I donate to these agencies because I have family members who are fire fighters and went to school with people who are now officers or their family members are officers and I respect them for doing their job. If you show respect you will probably get respect.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you show respect you will probably get respect.

You asked for an example of potential danger. That example is extreme, of course, but it's not an isolated incident, either. Most cops won't do that. But some do. The "probably" in your comment is what concerns most people when they make the decision to inform or not inform.

Top Bottom