• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    I am wanting to get to custom 1911s made for my Military service one OEF and one OIF Are there any good gunsmiths and or engraving places in Indiana that do this. I have yet to decide on the maker of the 1911s but I am currently leaning towards Kimber. i guess if I wait 6-9 months I could do Wilson Combat or Nighthawk. I will more then likely never carry them and they will be more of a just because I want it kinda thing.

Rob

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Wilson Combat and Nighthawk will certainly do it. You could get sequential serial numbers that way. If you just want the engraving done on a stock 1911, I'm sure there are many gunsmiths that could either engrave or laser etch your inscription on a pair of pistols you brought to them. If you have the means, the Wilsons will be worth the wait. And no need to safe queen them - I've got a few and I carry them all the time. Eventually, if you need them refinished, send them back to Wilson. It'd be a shame to own a Wilson and not shoot it.

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    It is nice that WC offer custom engraving. I have some combat spurs laser etched from my last deployment with 1st Cav. They turned out very nice. Thc for the info.

Rob

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    Roby, :welcome: 2 :ingo: and THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for your Service!

I never know how to respond to this because I always feel that my service in no way entitles my to anything. However than you very much for you support and acknowledgement. I am glad to be here :rockwoot:

I love my dad's kimber though it is the only 1911 I have ever fired. These will be my first ones. We did try to get Sig to do a custom run in 2011 for the unit but never made it to the 25 they wanted us to have for the order. Not to mention they change the price point one us, and it ended up 300 over the estimate and above the MSRP even with a 25 unit order. It still would have been nice to have one waiting when I got home for me.

Rob

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The place I worked just installed a new laser engraver last week. I'd do it for you for free, but I haven't worked up the courage to stick my own Kimber in it yet:( If it takes you a couple months to get the guns, hit me up. We will have been properly trained by then and be pros at it. We are in Elkhart so it wouldn't be a bad trip for you.

We are gonna start by practicing on the boss's Glock. I mean, it's a Glock, not like we can make it uglier:D

jylederman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Franklin, IN
    If you want a custom Indiana made you might look at Bell Precission. While I don't own one, I'm a big fan of the squality of service Joe offers. I've handle a few of his riffles and 1911's. they are a fine piece of equipment and if you want a piece of art.

- Home

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    We are blessed with a myriad of 1911 smiths. It is literally overwhelming, just look for 60Driver's list.:D

Threshold question: what do you want done when you say "custom"?

Some guys mean, "eye wont it to look purdy."

Some guys mean, "I want it to run like a sewing machine and shoot like a laser."

Some mean, "all of the above".

Define "custom" for us and maybe we can help.:patriot:

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    Well my dad's Kimber is sweet but then my great Uncle gave it to him as a present and since he worked for Kimber I am not sure if it is special or not lol. It is a nail driver though.

I was checking out WC and picked out what I would go with from them. Professional CQB lightweight model. I was Going to Engrave/Etch one with OEF 2002, 2004-2005 and a Flag and the other with OIF 2006-2007, 2011 with a Flag. Maybe my name and rank some were too. Maybe dark earth or Black and a nice set of grips.

I guess I would have to talk to a smith really to know what I liked. I would like it to be as accurate and reliable as possible. After that as I am indifferent as long as it Doesn't look like I painted it in a dust storm.

I will have to check out Bell Precision, I would love to support IN gun people as much as possible.

Thx,
    Rob

Top Bottom