• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yankeetownboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Brownsburg, in
    Hey, Looking for a first CCW. I've come to the conclusion to start with a Revolver, I have some limited handgun experience and they were revolver. I also want a semi in the near future, but realize . #1.. I need to practice with it
    #2.. These things need to be broke in , I can acomplish both at same time
    #3 Although I think I'm a really smart fool, a revolver is almost foolproof.

I am out in public almost all day every day with my job, so lite and comfortable is a big desire. also I want to pick a caliber that I can cross to semi auto and even long guns in the future so I don't end up with every caliber in the books.

Let the opinions begin, :)

edg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    1 o'clock on the 465 dial
    S&W 637. Carry is versatile ankle, pocket or IWB. There are others in the line with shrouded hammer for no snag draw. Doesnt cross over well to semi but can get rifles in that caliber.

edg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I personally prefer revolvers to semi-autos. I like the ability to use several different types of ammo without worrying about jamming. I like not being dependant on magazines. I like they way they feel, look and function.

But a small snubby is hard to shoot well. When I say I like revolvers, I like 3"-4" revolvers. Don't care much for snubbies, personally. They can be unpleasant to shoot, sights can suck, and for the size, you can get an XD9sc, M&P 9c, or Glock 26 and have more rounds on tap in easier to shoot packages.

As for a revolver in a round that will carry over to a semi-auto, the only current production revolver I can think of is the S&W 625 in .45 ACP. And it's a big gun, certainly no snubby!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    A nice revolver for a good price is a Ruger SP101 .357. it allows you to shoot the .38 spl rd for practice and .357 for carry.

But really a automatic like a Glock 26 or Glock 19, and/or a XD 9mm compact is really almost as simple as carrying a revolver but allows you more rounds and 9mm is very cheap to shoot.

Either way good for you for getting a carry gun and practicing with it.

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Although it wouldn't transfer too well to rifles or semiautos, I would highly recommend a j-frame S&W in 38. Lightweight, easy to conceal, and plenty of punch for a pocket gun. And about as reliable as anything else on the market.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The small revolvers aren't fun to practice with, as alluded to above, but you're right on the money when you think of getting one for your first carry. They really are drop dead reliable. Smith makes really good ones, but Ruger's SP 101s, and Charter arms and Taurus make good ones too. Shop around. And congrats on your first firearm! Be safe and have fun!

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Ruger used to make an SP101 in 9mm which would satisfy your "caliber cross over", but they're pretty difficult to find IIRC. As far as crossover between a revolver and semi-auto... it's not really normal because the revolvers take rimmed brass and the semiauto takes rimless. The rimless revolvers accomplish this by using moon clips that the rounds "clip" into and keeps them in the cylinder.

So with that said, if you want a Lightweight and Comfortable Revolver I have no other choice than to direct you to the "Lightweight Compact Revolver" AKA Ruger LCR. I have one and the recoil is really less than you'd expect especially with the Hougue grips that come on the non'laser equipped model. Super lightweight and nothing to snag a pocket or anything else. Check it out at Ruger.com

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So with that said, if you want a Lightweight and Comfortable Revolver I have no other choice than to direct you to the "Lightweight Compact Revolver" AKA Ruger LCR. I have one and the recoil is really less than you'd expect especially with the Hougue grips that come on the non'laser equipped model. Super lightweight and nothing to snag a pocket or anything else. Check it out at Ruger.com

:+1:

IMHO a Ruger LCR is the way to go, you will not have to buy one after you become more experienced. Although I do recommend you buy a pistol as well to start your training with. i.e. a Glock 23 or 27 in .40SW.

You can very easily carry the LCR in a front pocket, practice this in your weak side so that when your more confident with carrying the pistol you will not have to retrain your muscle memory to the weak side carry position for the revolver.

TK :twocents:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    To meet your criterion, I would recommend a 2" or 3" double action, in 45acp or 38/357.

1) 45acp revolver: There aren't as many options for a 45 revolver, but there are a few good ones out there, and it will port well to automatics. You will also have a few options for carbines, such as the Beretta storm, various AR-15's, and the modern Thompson replicas; additionally, the Hi-point carbine will be available in 45acp starting this May.

2) 38 / 357 revolver: More revolver options, but practically no automatics, other than a few odd ducks which are neither affordable or practical. You have quite a few carbine options though, mostly lever guns and a few isolated single shots.

Overall I think from a practicality standpoint, the 45 revolver would suit your needs the best. Currently offered from Smith & Wesson are the 327 night Guard (modern look) and the Model 25 3" (classic looks). They should both be functionally equivalent.

A nice 38, like the Ruger LCR or the Smith 686 would be a great choice as well, but I think the 327 or the 25 would allow you to maintain your goal of ammunition commonality, while giving you more options for future purchases.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    A nice revolver for a good price is a Ruger SP101 .357. it allows you to shoot the .38 spl rd for practice and .357 for carry.

But really a automatic like a Glock 26 or Glock 19, and/or a XD 9mm compact is really almost as simple as carrying a revolver but allows you more rounds and 9mm is very cheap to shoot.

Either way good for you for getting a carry gun and practicing with it.

I was going to suggest the SP101 .357 also. I had considered that myself for my first gun for the same reason wtf mentioned.

Yankeetownboy, if you are new to guns, the revolver is a good idea for a first gun. I know, that Massad Ayoob recommended that new shooters start with a revolver because they are generally simpler to maintain and operate as you become familiar with guns. Is that kinda what you were thinking when you decided to get a revolver?

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    i have a ruger sp101 and taurus .357 and would recommend either. .357 magnum is enough for personal protection and you can practice with cheaper 38 specials.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If you really want a revolver that you can cross over the ammo there is the smith and wesson model 940. It is chambered in 9mm. there are a couple on gunbroker right now but generlly they are hard to find.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I myself have carried a 9mm Taurus, but I prefer my S&W MDL 638, because of the size, reliability, and the safety factor. Keep in mind that most revolver cartridges don't cross over well , unless you are going to get a Marlin .357/.38 or 44mag/44spl lever action or something on that order. Also there are a few 9mm revolvers out there.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

I carried an SP 101 for years as my back up gun. They are great little weapons that pack a real punch and they are sturdy as anything. Only drawback is the snubby barrel. You really aren't going to develop any accuracy shooting it but at close range and loaded with hollow points accuracy probably won't be an issue.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glad to hear you're considering a revolver first...followed by a semi-auto later. Knowing how to shoot both is important. :yesway:

Ruger SP101 in 9mm...can be found at www.gunbroker.com while they can be somewhat expensive...spending a few extra $$ to get what you want is usually worth it. :cool:

The nice thing about the little Ruger is their ability to be adapted to your wants and needs. Their pinned in front sight can be replaced with a Night Sight from either Meprolight or Trijicon (I prefer the Meprolight...it's larger and easier to see) and they drop right in (no gunsmithing needed.) Also, there are numerous grips available to fit just about any handsize our there comfortably. Ruger's factory rubber grip is nice... then there's Badger Custom Grips, Hogue Grips (rubber or wood), Trausch Grips (a nice full-sized grip), etc...lots to choose from and all easily installed at home. Holsters, plenty of those out there as well...Bianchi makes a really nice 3-slot, Fobus now makes hip and ankle holsters for the SP101, and lots of Uncle Mikes and others.

9mm ammo is fairly cheap, accessible, and has a large variety to choose from (plinking to home/personal defense), and as you progress to semi-auto's, it will work in both types of guns. I believe this is the only round that you can do this with (except .22's of course) that doesn't have an outrageously expensive, large, and awkward semi-auto attached to it (i.e., the Desert Eagle in .357 or .44 mag.)

The SP101 itself is a nice gun. It's more accurate than you might think, coming from a 2.25" barrel, but it'll hold it's own out to 35' +.

If you wanted to change calibers...say, to .38 or .357, then you increase your options on revolver choices (Smith & Wesson, Taurus, etc.) and put yourself in a position to match your ammo with a nice lever-action from Marlin or Winchester...both of which can shoot both .38's and .357's.

There's a lot to consider...good luck and have fun with whatever you choose!!! :twocents: :rockwoot:

Last edited:

yankeetownboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Brownsburg, in
    Hey guys, thanks for all the replies...great info! As I said in another post got my LTCH yesterday after only a 4 day wait, so time to do some serious gun shopping this week.

Yankeetownboy:)

Top Bottom