• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Never had one, but used to ride around in a friends. Not a bad little car, but the interior was nothing special and prone to rapid deterioration. Hope the one you're looking at has been refurbed, 'cause that's an oldie. Your gas mileage will be crap, too. But, you're likely to have a bit of fun in it.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Never had one, but used to ride around in a friends. Not a bad little car, but the interior was nothing special and prone to rapid deterioration. Hope the one you're looking at has been refurbed, 'cause that's an oldie. Your gas mileage will be crap, too. But, you're likely to have a bit of fun in it.

I'm looking at about 25 mpg in it :dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Never buy a car that was built before you were born. Especially not one of those. I was 22 when they were new, and I wouldn't have bought one when they were new. POC then and I can't imagine how it might have improved over the years....

Ask your father to pick out a car for you. Listen to his advice. Ignore me and everybody else.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I wouldn't buy something like that as a first car, maybe as a collector/restorer. Find yourself a boring mid 2000's two or four door sedan or some such. You need to be able to count on it getting you where you want to go. /dad

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I don't know a lot about the Opel in particular just about owning older cars.

The Opel is a pretty cool little car. Due to the age of the car you will probably learn alot mechanical wise. That is not a bad thing.
    I would be cautious and have it checked out by a mechanic if you don't know the cars history.
    Otherwise you could end up sinking a lot of money into it quick.

If I were you I would spend some time checking for parts availability, remember the car is 40 years old, if you can't find many parts the ones you do find will be poor quality or expensive.
    Look for fenders, trim, engine, clutch stuff etc.
    Hindsight being 20 20 I would not probably use it as a first car, but it can be a great educational tool none the less :)

:twocents:

I tend to buy a lot of things I would have been better off not buying :(

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Meh. The guy wants $1,200, but he needs it sold or he's scrapping it. If I can buy it for $400 I'll fiddle with it and if I can't get it to work I'm sure I could make my money back. I'll probably get a 90s Toyota of some sort if that happens. Maybe a Geo.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I got my DL and first car in 1977. I remember looking at a 73 Opel GT then and thinking it was a POS. I passed on it, but a buddy bought it. He had it for a year, it was broken down and waiting for parts half the time he owned it and it finally suffered an electrical fire in the school parking lot.

I say, Run, Run Away Fast!!!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Now you're cooking with evil gas! Although, don't know if I'd go as far back as 90s, have to be really picky; and a Geo is more of a Hyundai. Korean cars have caught up the last few years; back then, don't even touch it, but, your money. This dad thing is still disturbing me. I'm not ready to stop being the kid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I rode in one but I am a large fella and I did not enjoy it. Long time ago. I did help a friend do a total frame and 4 link in one in the late 70's. Fuel injected small block, drag car from hell.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They were cool looking cars. I remember as a youngster, my Dad, being a friend with some top brass from Buick got me in a back room and I saw it before it was unveiled to the public. ( I grew up in Flint, MI).

One would have to have some money and a good mechanical inclination to own one. I know a few of them are around, but they would be hard to find in good condition.

Ever think of a Miata? Super handling, easy to work on, cheap parts, good MPGs.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If you want something a little different look at the E30 BMW 's nice little cars plenty of parts available

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Good first cars:

1. Ford Taurus with 3.0 Vulcan Engine
    2. Crown Victoria
    3. *Most* GM cars with the 3.8
    4. *Most* GM cars with the 4.3 votech
    5. *Most* eco cars from Honda/Toyota (Civic, Corolla, Accord, Camry)

All of the above are affordable, reliable, and super prevalent (that means parts are everywhere and cheap).

I would personally stay away from ALL Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Chrysler vehicles (Wrangler being the exception there).

Top Bottom