• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    So my friend showed me his Walther P38 the other day. His grandfather brought it back after the end of WWII. It was apparently given to him by a German Colonel when he surrendered. All the serial numbers match and the Nazi Eagle and swastika is stamped on the right side of the gun. Other than that and the year it was made he doesn't know much about it. So this is where i turn to my fellow Hoosiers for help. Whatever info anyone could tell us about it would be great but we would also like to know what it's worth.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpg
      IMG_0947.jpg
      564.8 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_0950.jpg
      IMG_0950.jpg
      385.4 KB · Views: 26
    • IMG_0951.jpg
      IMG_0951.jpg
      672.9 KB · Views: 35
    • IMG_0953.jpg
      IMG_0953.jpg
      493.8 KB · Views: 32
    • IMG_0956.jpg
      IMG_0956.jpg
      647.3 KB · Views: 55

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks like a respectable AC41, get some good 9mm ammo, these guns usually like bullets on the heavier side and enjoy shooting history.:)

I am curious about the belt and buckle, looks like one worn by German Luftwaffe or Fallschirmjagers maybe.:dunno:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    For some reason unknown to me....that holster really creeps me out....the entire thing gives me chills.....but its an awesome piece of history. Shoot and enjoy, not a lot of people can say they have had the opportunity to shoot one, let alone own one.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looks real nice! I love shooting my old P38(P1). Hard to beat one with a bring back story as well, mine likes any FMJ 9mm round in standard velocity. Hollow points are a no no. Warm it up!

Atlas5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I would love to shoot this one. Nothing like shooting a piece of history. However I don't think my friend will ever shoot it. It's a shame really.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It's an awesome piece of history, but value wise, not a terribly rare one. Soldiers literally gabbed them by the armload when they liberated the factory in 1945. I'm sure many of those pistols eventually grew their own stories of being "taken from captured officers".

P.38.h2.gif

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    It's an awesome piece of history, but value wise, not an terribly rare one. Soldiers literally gabbed them by the armload when they liberated the factory in 1945. I'm sure many of those pistols eventually grew their own stories of being "taken from captured officers".

P.38.h2.gif

To be sure but....It's much more exciting than saying "My Papaw was in the Navy and traded some GI a gallon of ice cream and a carton of Lucky Strikes for it."

My favorite WW2 joke/quote..

The French fought for the Glory of France...
    The British fought for King and Country....
    The US fought for souveniers.....:):

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To be sure but....It's much more exciting than saying "My Papaw was in the Navy and traded some GI a gallon of ice cream and a carton of Lucky Strikes for it."

My favorite WW2 joke/quote..

The French fought for the Glory of France...
    The British fought for King and Country....
    The US fought for souveniers.....:):

That's how Kurt Meyer, known as Panzer Meyer, SS Commander of the Hitlerjugend almost got away Scott free. When he was captured every weapon, patch, id, everything but the bare cotton was stripped off of him. He said some people got mad because he didn't have anything else to take then they left him in a basement overnight and the capturing unit moved on. The next day they just took this anonymous German out of the basement and sent him to a camp. He almost made it back to Germany before he was found out.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For those who haven't shot a P38 please do if you ever get a chance!! Fantastic handgun. :)

It has the distinction of being the only non US Government Issue weapon that the US ever made a holster for...They were so popular with the GI's (who were carrying them and using them) that a run of shoulder holsters, US marked, were made for them....

So....If you are ever at a Gun Show and see a WW2 Boyt holster that's marked low because "My daggum 1911 won't fit in the dang thang!" then please buy it....They are scarce....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom