• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Just stopped by Plainfield shooting supplies and they had two basic RIA 1911's for $389.99 and two of the Tactical models for $469.99. Not bad for an entry level 1911 pistol.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I is a made in the Philipeans and imported by Armscor. Charles Daly, High Standard, Spartian by STI and a few other are the same basic gun. I have two and feel no need at the moment to commit to a high end 1911. These guns have meet my needs and wants for a 1911 at this time.
    1911photos006.jpg

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    whats RIA and why so cheap?

RIA = Rock Island Armory.

The guns are imported from Armscor in the Phillipines. That cuts costs. The frames are cast, not forged, that cuts costs. The $390 guns are straight GI models. Original GI sights, safety, everything is straight GI except for the mainspring housing, which is flat instead of arched. As a straight GI gun, some will feed hollowpoints without modification, some will need some work if you want to use hollowpoints. You will notice some cosmetic issues, such as sights that stick out from the side of the frame a little bit instead of being ground to match the contour of the slide, perhaps some tooling marks on the inside of the gun. Again, this cuts costs. The Parkerizing on my wife's gun is very nicely applied, as it is on my step-father's, and on one I used to have.

The guns function very well. My wife's now has 700 rounds through it. The only malfunctions came with Blazer aluminum. She had 2 malfunctions in 25 rounds, leading me to the conclusion that her gun simply doesn't like it. Other than that, it's been flawless with a variety of reloaded and factory ammo, to include hollowpoints. Even better, the gun is quite accurate. The only remaining question in my mind is how well it holds up as the round counts climb into the thousands, instead of hundreds, but I'm not overly concerned there, either, as I've not heard of anyone having durability issues with the guns.

Personally, I think these are the best bang for the buck on the gun market today, and highly recommend them, especially if you are counting pennies. You can spend more, and get better looking guns with some fancy doo dads, but the extra money isn't likely to get you better accuracy or function.

Here's a couple pics of Cathy's gun, and one of her gun with my old RIA Tactical model:
    Defenders001.jpg

Defenders004.jpg

012.jpg

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I picked one up a while back too. I wasn't sold on 1911's, so it was a cheap entry to see if I liked them. That said, there is always a temptation to want one of the more expensive 1911's, but this one has performed flawlessly, it just likes to be well oiled.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    i have a buddy who has had one for years and loves it. i've wanted one but the idots at the local gun shop cannot seem to get their hands on one and they gave me a really, really high price(shocker). someday i'll get one but for now i'll keep my springfield.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I have a RIA 1911, I did quite a bit of work on it but it was good to go right out of the box. FYI Midwest (mishawaka) had a used springfield milspec that looked brand new for 479 this afternoon

Top Bottom