• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm looking for opinions on the best personal defense round for a 1911. Right now I'm using Hornaday Tap +p rounds, which are pretty good. I was originally looking for some Hornaday FTX rounds, but they didnt have any.
    Does anyone have any experience with 1911s and the Hornaday FTX rounds, since they are more tipped than rounded, I didnt know if they caused any feed failures.
    Any other opinions on other rounds to look at would be cool too.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    these are what i use...best in my book...230gr +P
    J_d_je0wRnY4UabP4Od_dWtxfJRCYqbD9roALJsLjJrZ0zezsnndagsPbv2L1Cc3I90HussRkx_cmLqmVK_DY9MAEcb9OeDXSOR1Y6pHWsrf8zdVL52ytbgoMgEHH1-GYNoM1z4EDvpx5wLQAWvxq978-BcwfFV6Cw

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Those are they only HP rounds that i trust in my 1911. I have loaded up and shot over 300 of them and have yet to have a failure of any kind.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The CorBon DPX are about the best out there in any caliber, if your gun has feeding issues with them then I would use the CorBon Pow-R-Ball ammo, those will feed in just about anything.

There are no magic bullets and all the premium ammo will perform well. The DPX however has an edge in a couple areas that put it at the front of the class in my opinion. I have been involved in the shooting a literally tons of ballistic gel, my dad has be involved with even more and CorBon has always performed no matter the barrier shot through including 2 layers of 16 ga steel. DPX is a departure from the standard bullet design of lead core and copper jacket. It is a monolithic copper hollow point that was designed not to open up till fluid enters the cavity. The bullet was designed and is made by Barnes.

corbon.jpg

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'd just point out that there are different types/shapes of feed ramps on different brands of 1911 pistols. That said, what may work flawlessly in my gun may not necessarily work flawlessly in your gun if they are not the same brand.

Splix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'd just point out that there are different types/shapes of feed ramps on different brands of 1911 pistols. That said, what may work flawlessly in my gun may not necessarily work flawlessly in your gun if they are not the same brand.

Yeah true. With that being said, I'm using a Kimber Eclipse Custom II

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

That is the nice thing about Pow-R-Ball...it will feed in just about anything. If your gun will feed FJM ball it will feed the Pow-R-Ball.

hicap30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    I use and trust Remington Golden Sabers 200 or 230 gr. They feed in all my 1911's, they are accurate and they have a punch. With tha said, there are alot of we make the best bullets out there. I say try them before you stake your life on them. Some might have a very high velocity but are very inaccurate or frag as soon as they hit something.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I trust my life to federal HST's. Unbelievable flowering and wound channel. TAP, Rangers and GD's would be my second choice

This is a pic from another forum. Speaks for itself.

hollowptexpansiontest.jpg

Top Bottom