• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I've never owned a 1911 and I know very little about them, but I've decided I need one. I was thinking about purchasing a full size ( 5" I guess) one for OC this summer. I have no clue what brand/model I need to be looking for. My budget approximately ~$700. What are my options? Suggestions?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Options are a ton

Any of the following manufacturers have models in your price range.

Kimber
    Springfield
    Rock Island Armory
    Taurus

My personal preference is the Kimber Custom II (but that is strictly personal preference, any of the above will give you a good gun)

Look around at the different features that each offer and decide which look good to you.

I envy you getting to go gun shopping :rockwoot:

Make sure to post (with pics) which ever you buy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Options are a ton

Any of the following manufacturers have models in your price range.

Kimber
    Springfield
    Rock Island Armory
    Taurus

My personal preference is the Kimber Custom II (but that is strictly personal preference, any of the above will give you a good gun)

Look around at the different features that each offer and decide which look good to you.

I envy you getting to go gun shopping :rockwoot:

Make sure to post (with pics) which ever you buy.

kimber raptor 2 is defintally on my to do list

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Kimber and Springfield in my opinion are great guns to look at.
    There are others as well that make good to great 1911's in that price range.
    I have only had limited experience with Springfield 1911's but its all been positive, I have had lots of luck with Kimbers though and am biased in that direction.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Does your budget include the costs for holsters, magazines, magazine holders, practice ammo to learn your new gun?

If you need to cover all that with your $700, I would suggest a Rock Island Armory Tactical model. If that money is just for the gun, the Springfield Mil-spec is prettier, though I've got no first hand experience with the Springer. The Rocks, though, I do have first hand experience with, and they have all impressed me big time. Very accurate, very dependable, they are functionally fine guns.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    I have very little experience with the 1911 overall, I trained/qualified on one while on Active Duty and now I own one. The one I own is considered an entry level gun. I have run a couple hundred rounds through it with no problems and I will recommend it to anyone.

For your $700.00 you could almost get two of them, go out and get yourself a Rock Island Armory M1911A1, standard. You can shoot it and if after doing so you don't like it, the loss you take on resale wont be as bad as the loss for one of the higher end 1911s. As I said, you can almost buy two, the next one on my list is the RIA compact 1911. It is one sweet 1911...IMHO.

Just thought I would weigh in, after all it's your money and if you have to have a 1911 like everyone else, then spend it all on one gun and buy the ammo next week.

Doug

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Does your budget include the costs for holsters, magazines, magazine holders, practice ammo to learn your new gun?

If you need to cover all that with your $700, I would suggest a Rock Island Armory Tactical model. If that money is just for the gun, the Springfield Mil-spec is prettier, though I've got no first hand experience with the Springer. The Rocks, though, I do have first hand experience with, and they have all impressed me big time. Very accurate, very dependable, they are functionally fine guns.
    :+1:

I have a RIA and it's been a great gun. My Kimber is lighter, but the Rock is every bit as trusted as the Kimber is. Joe's point about use of the budget is a good one. If you budget a good holster and enough ammo to be competent with it, you are pretty much in the RIA price range.

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I would suggest a Springfield Mil-Spec. You would probably have enough left to buy some ammo and they have the best customer service in the business IMO. An excellent gun for the money. Mine shoots great and shoots every time. Never had a malfunction and it feeds JHP ammo (or anything for that matter) perfectly. I love it and wouldn't trade it for a pricier gun. The Rock Islands are nice shooters but the finish on them is a bit thinner than I like. Good luck!!!

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I own a Kimber 1911, Crimson Trace Pro Carry II, its got bells and whistles on it which are not really necessary for you, but Kimber is your manufacture if you are looking for custom 1911...they are pricy, but not like Wilson Combat. I use mine for USPSA and CCW...its a four inch barrel, clean-up is a breeze, it does require a take down tool which you could take a paper clip and turn it into a take down tool as well. That is because my gun is bushingless, if you had a 1911 with a bushing you wouldn't have to have a take down tool. Not a real big deal in my opinion.
    If I were you I would be asking myself things like: What am I going to be using this for primarily? Competition, Personal protection, just plain o'l target shooting...If competition than in your future you'll need extra magazines and particularily the tactical mags with a rubber bumper on the bottom, also you may consider a beveled mag well, fiber optic sights, holsters...the whole 9yds...If CCW than you'll need a CCW holster ( I recommend Cross breed Holsters). Also I think a 4in barrel is easier to conceal than a 5in barrel. If just target shooting than just get the basic model(you can normally add sights, grips, etc to most models anyway)...Something else to consider...Am i right or left handed? You'll need this for your safety and magazine release buttons. Some come with Ambidexterous buttons...Speaking of safeties which 1911 is the safest? Well I can tell you that my Kimber 1911 has three safeties that I know of...the grip safety, the safety switch, and the disengagement safety that disengages the sear when the hammer is in the half cock position so you can't fire it on accident while pulling the hammer back. I think there is one more mechanism that disengages the sear if the slide isn't all the way forward as well but I've never had that problem. I did have some issues with my brass ejector. The brass was coming straight back and nailing me in the forehead...I sent it away to kimber and they fixed it...I just covered S&H...other than that its been a great gun for me and its light weight. It shoots straight and if I miss its my own human error...Kimbers are known for shooting bullseyes right out of the box...sadly if they don't usually its human error haha. Don't buy from Ganger Mtn unless they are having some rediculous sale because they have jacked prices up on everything it seems. I know Para Ordance makes a 1911, Colt, Springfield, and others...its a personal choice really, I compete with people with all sorts of 1911's and most say its just what you get used to. I always wanted a Kimber from the time I was young...is it more accurate than another brand?...well, it sets one up for accuracy really well with its quality of parts and craftsmanship, but if you don't know how to shoot it and perfect your skills than those things don't mean much. You can be accurate with all of them. My recommendation is a Kimber...and get some training! You'll only be holding 8-9rds...but if you need more than that with a .45 ACP, you've got other problems...happy shopping and hope this helped

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I've got plenty of ammo and such, so my budget is just for the gun. As a few of you have suggested Kimber I will have to look into them.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If you're going to carry it: Springfield Loaded, Springfield Mil-Spec, RIA Tactical.The GI versions have tiny sights that will be almost useless anywhere but the range. The models listed above have some sights you can actually see and use. I would also recommend a used Colt Series 80/1991 model. The Series 80 system isn't known to have the same number of problems that the Kimber Swartz safety does.I carry a Springfield Loaded that's been upgraded a little by me. Springfield doesn't have the extra laywer-proofing safety crap that Colt and Kimber have, and that's one of the main reasons I like them. Less parts to break and render the pistol non-functional (as almost all drop safeties will do if they come out of time or break).Just my opinion!

Last edited:

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I would suggest an ed brown custom, oh wait u said 700 not 2700 :):
    I just bought another kimber last night, I like the functionality and quality and they also are sharp lookin guns.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I own a Kimber 1911, Crimson Trace Pro Carry II, its got bells and whistles on it which are not really necessary for you, but Kimber is your manufacture if you are looking for custom 1911...they are pricy, but not like Wilson Combat.
    Kimber doesn't have a custom gun shop. Their "Custom" marked pistols aren't hand fit like a Wilson and roll off the same assembly line as all of the other Kimber pistols out there. The only difference is they get a fancy roll mark that says "Custom Shop"... which unfortunately is misleading.

Their "custom" work consists of finish differences, different sights, grips, and other drop in/bolt on parts. If you think they have a real custom shop, call them up and ask for a custom slide/barrel length. Ask them to put 20LPI checkering on their front strap (or better yet, on the rear of the slide). They will tell you they don't provide such services.

Kimber and Wilson Combat are nothing alike. Wilson Combat is a real custom gun maker where every single pistol they sell is touched by a highly qualified world class gunsmith.

The same is true for upper end Springfields. Springfield also operates a real custom gun shop where you can order anything you can dream up, for a price... and it's expensive.

I'm not bagging on Kimber, I just wanted to clear the air about their "custom shop".

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I appologize for misspeaking full-auto...in Kimber's defense of how they use the word custom...they don't call themselves a custom shop, they do call themselves a "custom" 1911 manufacturer though simply for the reason that the definition of the word "custom made" is = made to individual order...so although your 100% correct with what you said about Kimber not making the gun from scratch per your request on ALL parts...they do make a custom 1911, the combinations of parts for the handgun have already been made for you though, you just have to select the combination that fits your liking the best...such as match grade barrells, ambidexterious safeties/mag releases, sights, grips, springs, crimson trace lasers, .22 conversion kits, tactical flashlight mounts, a whole range of appearances like camo, black, silver, silver and black, crome, etc, 3 in (Ultra) 4in (pro) and 5in (custom) barrel lengths...to me thats still custom because they are going to fabricate whatever combination I ask for. They make custom 1911's for the needs requested of them by LAPD SWAT, US Marines involved in Special Ops, US Shooting Rapid Fire Pistol team, LAPD SIS, and they offer those same guns to the public. Its really a matter of how you look at the word CUSTOM....If you said "I've customized my car by putting new rims and tires on, a spoiler, tinted windows, seat covers, and a new stereo system" than yes you've customized it. If someone else said "I've been customizing my car for years now, I rebuilt the engine, I've tweeked the carborator, I've added an air intake system that is more efficient, I've replaced the fuel lines." than yes you've customized the car. Both the same, both different...sorry for the lengthy reply. I like Wilson Combats, Springfields, Colts...oh who am i kidding I like guns...I'm just a guy and wanted to defend the topic. Shoot what you got, be safe and shoot straight!

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Kimber doesn't have a custom gun shop. Their "Custom" marked pistols aren't hand fit like a Wilson and roll off the same assembly line as all of the other Kimber pistols out there. The only difference is they get a fancy roll mark that says "Custom Shop"... which unfortunately is misleading.

Their "custom" work consists of finish differences, different sights, grips, and other drop in/bolt on parts. If you think they have a real custom shop, call them up and ask for a custom slide/barrel length. Ask them to put 20LPI checkering on their front strap (or better yet, on the rear of the slide). They will tell you they don't provide such services.

Kimber and Wilson Combat are nothing alike. Wilson Combat is a real custom gun maker where every single pistol they sell is touched by a highly qualified world class gunsmith.

The same is true for upper end Springfields. Springfield also operates a real custom gun shop where you can order anything you can dream up, for a price... and it's expensive.

I'm not bagging on Kimber, I just wanted to clear the air about their "custom shop".

Full-auto, You must be a rep for kimber cause all I ever hear out of you is how much you absolutely love their fine products.....:bs:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    While some might consider changing the sights, grips, magazines, finish, laser grips, etc. (which are offered on other production models) as being a "custom" pistol, it's really not. We're not talking about putting window tint on a car here, we're talking about handguns.

There is a very clear distinction between a "custom" 1911, a "semi-custom" 1911 and a production 1911. A custom 1911 is a one of a kind built to order by the custom gun maker. The specs are provided by the customer and the builder builds it to those specs.

A semi-custom 1911 is one that is built by a gunsmith such as Ed Brown but the features are already chosen for you. It's not a bone stock production gun that rolls off an assembly line, it's a hand-built highly refined pistol, but you have very few options when ordering it.

Then you have production guns. These are assembly line guns that you can order with any number of configurations. They are assembled (but not fitted) by production line workers (not gun smiths) using parts bin unfitted parts.

Kimber makes only production handguns. Sure, you can send your gun back to get different sights, or grips or some other bolt on accessory, but that's no different than any other manufacturer out there. If you order your Sig with night sights, that doesn't make it a custom gun.

Kimber is known for mass producing 1911's. They are not known for using super high quality parts (like Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, SA Custom, etc.) and they're not known for their custom work... since they don't operate a true custom shop.

Just because the LAPD ordered some pistols for their SWAT team doesn't mean much to me. Hell, Glock puts more guns in LEO holsters than Kimber does... so does Sig and S&W. The Kimber MEU(SOC) Det 1 1911 sold to the Marines in very small numbers isn't anything unique... Springfield sold them a small number of Professional models (what the FBI SRT Teams use). But the Marines only have done this in a pinch as the Marines operate custom gun shops themselves and typically produce their own custom 1911's and even sniper rifles. But they've reached out for assistance in the past to more than one company.

Kimber slaps together 1911's as fast as they can with as little human interaction as possible. They go for quantity over quality. They produce some 50,000 1911's a year. Then you have a semi-custom 1911 maker like Ed Brown that produces 500 1911's a year. Which would I rather have? The Ed Brown. It's properly built with every single component hand selected and hand fitted to create a truly beautiful pistol. Kimber's have absolutely none of this TLC given them anywhere in their manufacturing and this includes their "custom shop" handguns.

If you ask me, their use of the term "custom shop" is purposely misleading and unsuspecting buyers think they're really getting a pistol like a Wilson or Ed Brown when in reality they're getting a mass produced handgun, one of 200 that rolled off the line that day.

Top Bottom