• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a Sig 1911 commander on the way. I have never owned a 1911 but I am really looking forward to shooting it. My primary range pistol at this time is a XDM 3.8 so the 1911 will be a completely different animal.

I am wondering what I should know about being a new 1911 owner from all the experts on INGO.

Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Thumb below the slide lever and forefinger above it when inserting it. Otherwise the inevitable idiot mark will jump out at you and really put a damper on your day! Fortunately I have not done this and hope I never do. I don't think I could ever stop kicking my own arse over it.

Enjoy that Sig 1911 cause I know I certainly do. A late comer to the 1911 ring but their making great strides in their engineering. I have a full size Nightmare model and absolutely love it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I think JetGirl posted a clever idea on how avoid the idiot mark. I cant seem to find it right now but basically all you need is one of your wife or girl friend's hair clips and you can gently push the plunger out of the way and reinsert the slide stop. It works great but your significant other may be mad at you for stealing one of her hair clips. I learned it was probably best to ask first.

Enjoy the new Sig. They make a pretty decent 1911 for the money. I picked up a Traditional Compact a little while back and I am very happy with it so far.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If buying a used pistol, which would you prefer: A cosmetically perfect Taurus PT-1911 or a Wilson CQB with an idiot mark?

A gun is part of your equipment. Cosmetics is cool for barbeque guns and safe queens. If you use it and it works fine, don't worry about cosmetics.

But, someone is always anal enough to think that beauty and function are equivalent.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Use a good oils like Militec1 or similar buy a lot of ammo and shoot it :) congrats

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If buying a used pistol, which would you prefer: A cosmetically perfect Taurus PT-1911 or a Wilson CQB with an idiot mark?

A gun is part of your equipment. Cosmetics is cool for barbeque guns and safe queens. If you use it and it works fine, don't worry about cosmetics.

But, someone is always anal enough to think that beauty and function are equivalent.

Your right guns are tools, and as they get carried and used the wear the get from that is expected. But I still prefer to not add a cosmetic blemish if/when I can help it. Wear from carry is not the same as an idiot mark IMHO. Wear from carry and use adds character, an idiot mark is an indication that the owner of the pistol is careless. Just my :twocents: take it for what you will.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Your right guns are tools, and as they get carried and used the wear the get from that is expected. But I still prefer to not add a cosmetic blemish if/when I can help it. Wear from carry is not the same as an idiot mark IMHO. Wear from carry and use adds character, an idiot mark is an indication that the owner of the pistol is careless. Just my :twocents: take it for what you will.

To each his own I guess. I had a Browning O/U that never had a mark on it in many years of skeet shooting. I also had an M-16 in the service that had the crap beat out of it.

If I intend to sell a firearm, I try to keep it perfect. If I intend to keep it, I try not to drop it on gravel, but otherwise don't worry about it all that much.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    OP a good belt and holster will be the next items on your list. Along with some Wilson Combat mags.

I really like CompTac Holsters and the Infidel IWB is nice for CC. I am wearing one right now.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    To each his own I guess. I had a Browning O/U that never had a mark on it in many years of skeet shooting. I also had an M-16 in the service that had the crap beat out of it.

If I intend to sell a firearm, I try to keep it perfect. If I intend to keep it, I try not to drop it on gravel, but otherwise don't worry about it all that much.

I try to take care of my stuff. Like you said to each their own.

Oh and :patriot: and thanks for your service.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Get a decent holster for it and use quality magazines such as Wilson Combat or aftermarket brand specific ones other than the ones that came in the box with the pistol. I've never used Sig magazines so they may be ok but some manufacturers such as Kmber for example, provide somewhat questionable mags with the gun while offering good reliable mags on the side. The "KimPro" magazines are pretty good upgrades.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Get a decent holster for it and use quality magazines such as Wilson Combat or aftermarket brand specific ones other than the ones that came in the box with the pistol. I've never used Sig magazines so they may be ok but some manufacturers such as Kmber for example, provide somewhat questionable mags with the gun while offering good reliable mags on the side. The "KimPro" magazines are pretty good upgrades.

The Kimber I had came with a KimPro mag and it worked good. But it only came with one... :xmad:

The Sig Compact I have came with two mags, one is ok and the other is kinda crappy. One will load up fine and let me load +1 when I want. The other is a bear's ass to load all 7 rounds into and then if I try to load +1 it won't seat. So I use it as a reload. Honestly I threw both of them into the range bag and that is were they are gonna stay. I didn't have any trouble out of them at the range but I just can't tust the one for carry. I have 3 Wilson Combat Compact mags and that is what I run in it for carry. They all load and feed just fine.

My advice is throw the factory mags in your range bag and get some Wilson Combat mags for carry.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City

It would be nice if the Wilson CQB did not have the idiot mark; some people wash their cars and some don't (I would rather buy a used car from someone that took care of it).

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It would be nice if the Wilson CQB did not have the idiot mark; some people wash their cars and some don't (I would rather buy a used car from someone that took care of it).

Don't take any CQB courses then.

If I was buying a Ferrari, I'd want perfect paint. If I was buying a 4 x 4...mebbe a door ding wouldn't bother me.

When the SHTF, a purty gun doesn't mean much.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The scratch in the frame from installing the slide stop can be prevented by poking the slide stop post through a piece of paper that will cover the frame during installation.

Also, avoid flathead screwdriver marks by replacing the grip screws with Allen head screws (I like the Wilson ones).

Idiot marks are embarrassing, wear marks from use are good though. Kinda like scars from battle, chicks dig scars;-)

Top Bottom