• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    This is your chance - tell me why you'd get some other 1911 instead of the Les Baer Thunder Ranch. I'm pretty close to pulling the proverbial trigger.

I have considered other guns in this range or of this quality, and would not rule any out, so speak up. Current 'second choice', still in the running, is a Fusion, which gets me all chubby but would make me wait for 6 months...

Pretend you're buying a gun in that range, preferably south of $2500, and under $2k would keep me from having to sleep in the barn. Pretend you're going to use it as a general purpose gun -- secondary nightstand gun (primary is longer and shoots bullets that scatter nicely...), carry gun (I'm a large guy and rarely go out in shorty-shorts, and a full-size 1911 can work for me). I'll never enter a match with it, doesn't need to be MOA-accurate at 50 yards or anything like that. Might bet beer on it, but that will be the limit of my marksmanship tests. Otherwise putting two rounds in a chest-sized target at 7 yards is good enough. Nothing shiny or blingy, nothing plastic. A true working gun.

I know, the obvious question, given those low-end needs, why would you even consider spending that much money? Shut up, you sound just like my wife.

There you go -- a twist on the old "which gun should I buy" post, hopefully interesting/fun for some of you 1911 fans, since I'm not forcing you to stay in the $500 range...

If you have other questions about my preferences or how I'd use it, by all means ask.

And if any of you are thinking of SELLING something in this class/category...

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    RIA comparable to all the higher up brands for less than 600 bucks, i use mine as a carry gun and its seen some crap, its been dropped, kicked and hit up against brick walls and i dont have to worry about beating up a $1000 1911 and it still shoots just like it did on day 1

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Over the years I've owned quite a few 1911's, the only ones that I tend to hang on to are my Colts.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Springfield TRP Operator is my new dream 1911. And I used to not like Springfield. That being said, the Taurus PT1911 AR I have will do all of what you want, at 1.25" per 25 yds.

It's for sale too.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    there was a thread on here with a test of all the different 1911 companies and the RIA managed to out perform on some tests and held its own on all the others

Mr.Strato

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Tell you what I'd do if you just HAVE to have that Thunder Ranch:
    Take delivery of it AT one of their shooting schools, that way when it doesn't run they can see it for themselves and THEY can take it back and fix it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I say go for it. Life is short and situations change. If you can spare the cash, definitely make the purchase. I will say this, if you are the kind of person to quickly get bored with a gun, don't get something you can't move fast. A RIA, for example, will sell in less than three days in the classifieds. How long do you think it would take to sell the Les Baer? Also, the RIA will run straight out the box and is known to eat any ammo you feed it. Just some things to think about.

Also, what's to say you can't have both? Get your dream gun for now and maybe some day you can get something else. However, I wouldn't do it the other way. Like I said, things do come up.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Les Baer customs are a LOT of "bang for the buck" I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Baer, Wilson, Brown, Nighthawk, ect.....they're all in the same ball park. I'd hate to live on the difference between them. My last purchase was an Ed Brown, I had wilson, baer, brown, all lined up next to each other....ended up picking the brown....

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    First, the only 1911 I've owned personally was a Charles Daly...

However, If I had more expendable cash than I have wishes I'd pick an Ed Brown. All the other high end guns are probably the same in quality, but there's something about the style of the Ed Browns that I prefer over the others.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Won't talk you out of it. It'll be a fine weapon. Were it my money and my first 1911 I'd buy a good, used Colt or Springer and a large pile of ammo and shootit until I knew I was in love with the platform, knowing I could always get my money back out of it for my end all be all 1911 later. If this IS the end all be all for $2500, I think I look for a used Wilson Supergrade.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Lots of excellent points so far, and you all have me looking and researching the things you've said.

Should have mentioned, no, not my first 1911. I have a few less-pricey models now, as well as a very old one I got from my grandfather (safe queen), as well as a fair amount of time with soulless plastic guns and quite a few years carrying one of Uncle Sam's Berettas. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the 1911 is my favorite, and am at a time/place in my life to be able to spend a little more on MY toys rather than kids, college, etc. As long as the wife doesn't find out the actual numbers, that is...

Thanks to all, and I'm enjoying the discussion and your opinions.

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I won't try to talk you out of it because you really can't go wrong with Les Baer but I love my Colt 1911, and Kimbers are nice as well. One nice thing about Colts is they hold value extremely well.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Drop that cash fast! Before something else comes up. I am limited to a very few number of guns by my wife (re-negotiated on a regular basis) so I went with the best I could afford: Kimber. That being said, I would take a Wilson or Nighthawk in a heartbeat if I think I could pull it off and remain sleeping on a comfortable bed. That is based only on aesthetics as I believe all the custom 1911 makers stand behind their products quite well and they should all function nearly flawlessly out of the box. Send us an update when you decide.

Top Bottom