• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have a friend looking for a 1911 in .45 for $600 or less. He is leaning toward a Springer but will consider anything that "won't fall apart." This will be his first 1911 and I think only handgun so he wants a good reliable gun but can't afford to spring for a new Kimber or custom. I know there are a TON of 1911 gurus on here, whatchya think?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have a friend looking for a 1911 in .45 for $600 or less. He is leaning toward a Springer but will consider anything that "won't fall apart." This will be his first 1911 and I think only handgun so he wants a good reliable gun but can't afford to spring for a new Kimber or custom. I know there are a TON of 1911 gurus on here, whatchya think?

I'd look for slightly used SA GI's or Mil-Specs. I just picked up my first 1911 so I am by far a guru. I just think they're tanks (like most 1911's) and are quality pieces.

Twentyfootdaredevil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    Chandler, In
    Rock Island. I have some high dollar 1911s and my newest knock around peice is a RIA and I am more than impressed with it.

There is one in a pawn shop here local that looks unfired and they will take $325 for it.....cheap.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I was at 21st Century this past weekend and they had a really nice ATI for... I think it was $439, and a RIA for around the same price. I liked the looks of the ATI better, but I honestly don't know anything about their pistols. If they are built like their rifles, shouldn't have any problem.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Rock Island. I have some high dollar 1911s and my newest knock around peice is a RIA and I am more than impressed with it.

There is one in a pawn shop here local that looks unfired and they will take $325 for it.....cheap.

I just picked up a RIA to keep in the Jeep 'cause I just put a big scratch on my Kimber Combat Elite with the seat belt..
    I took the RIA out today and the factory mag is a P.O.S. Three FTFs in the first 8 rounds but my Chip McCormick Shooting star 8 rounders performed flawlessly in it. I fired 150 rounds with the CMC mags and I'm liking the gun enough to carry it without a second thought.
    I'm a Kimber and old Colt 70 series GCNM fan but this RIA is an eye opener. Very accurate, tight, smooth, and for a utility 45 it's excellent.
    I will put a Wilson Beavertail in it this weekend as the grip safety digs into my hand when firing. It's only a $35 drop in part and takes less than 15 minutes to install so it's a non-issue. That's not limited to RIA but all guns with military type grip.
    For the $$ I'd have to give it a sore "Thumbs UP"
    For a full size 1911 with lifetime warranty it's hard to beat. I pulled it down and don't see any poor machine work or nasties inside.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I'm a big fan of the RIA....I've had mine for about 6 years and put 2000-2500 rounds through it...had some FTF issues at first with the mag that came with it(Novak) but I bought a couple Wilson 37b(Legendary?) mags and the FTF went bye-bye........I've heard good things about the ATI 1911 also,but have no experience with them(yet?)

Tango

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I know somebody trying to sell his 1911 right now. If you pass along contact, I will send it over to him for them to connect. cheers

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I was at 21st Century this past weekend and they had a really nice ATI for... I think it was $439, and a RIA for around the same price. I liked the looks of the ATI better, but I honestly don't know anything about their pistols. If they are built like their rifles, shouldn't have any problem.

I witnessed OL Bob of PSS at the gunshow selling a very nice used blue ATI commander for $320?? Should have bought it myself :)

I don't have much experience in 1911's to compare them to, but I have had the chance to shoot (2) different ATI FX 45's. This is the GI model with a 4.25 barrel (commander sized). In both cases, I have been very impressed. The first belonged to another member here and won me over immediately by how if functioned flawlessly with cast 200 gr SWC.

Recently, after my wife decided she wanted to go with a 1911, she bought the same thing. Between both her and I, we now have close to a 1000 rounds thru it ( SWC's, HP's and FMJ ) without any issues. It came with a ACT-mag that has performed flawlessly. She also added (2) 8 round Colt mags that too, have ran perfectly.

In the near furure, I will be getting one for myself. I just don't think they can be beat for the price. They appear well made, right around the $450 mark new, comes with a beavertail, and feeds anything I run thru them right out of the box...

DaveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Washington IN.
    If you don't mind used, and keep your eyes open you can get lucky. I've picked up two Kimbers, one $550 and the other $400. Love my Springfields. Might have to try the RIA, sounds cool.

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I got a used Mil-Spec Springfield 1911 last friday for right about $500. If I wouldnt have came across that, I would have went with the RIA due to hearing alot of good about them, plus brand new for that price range.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN

RIA
    Citadel
    or for just a bit over $600, and STI Spartan.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Got my Kimber Custom II for $697 , only $100 more but worth every penny.:D

You can get an STI Spartan for $600 shipped as well, that would be my choice on a budget, PM me if you need the link.

Top Bottom