• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    So I had a FTE on my 1911 yesterday. Took a little extra time inspecting during cleaning, and found my ejector was bent. I am not sure if this is a FAILURE, or a normal wear item. I really do not like the length of this piece sticking out unsupported. Should I replace now, or wait? I called / emailed customer service, so we'll see how it goes.

Details:

RIA Compact
    Round count unknown - 100 rds by me.

Should I replace this item myself w/ stainless one. Are they "drop-in" type of items.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    They're be someone along shortly with way more knowledge and skills than me but a bent ejector does not strike me as normal. As for "drop in" I know that many of the aftermarket ejectorss are a bit longer than Browning's original design and that the angle of the tip is sometimes tweaked to adjust the path of the ejected brass, so I think most would consider the ejector to be a "minor fitting required" part. I do know that Wilson, for example, sells a longer ejector because it will engage the case head slightly earlier in the extraction cycle and clear the case faster reducing the likelihood of a jam. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That could be a some fitting required piece, but most 1911 slides look like there is a failry large groove in there for most ejectors. But, if you call RIA they probably have a replacement piece or would replace it under warrenty.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Let RIA replace this or a gunsmith. It is not one of the easier parts to change

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    This is my direction currently... we'll see how quick this is resolved. This is not my EDC, so some time away will not upset me. I am however disappointed.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    RIA reply

Well, the ejector should a "drop in" piece, as stated by Ivan at RIA. So, they are sending a replacement Ejector and roll pin, and it should be here this week.

So far, pretty good communication w/ RIA. We will see. Thanks for the replies though.

And it is a .45 ACP model.

Coaster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Brownsburg
    A friend just had his come loose. He replaced it using blue locktite. So far it is holding up fine. Did RIA offer any instructions on securing the ejector?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    There is a pin that holds the ejector in place. It is in the frame below the ejector. VERY hard to see in my picture at the top. But the ejector has 2 posts that fit into the frame. 1 post has a notch in it for a pin. This is sometimes requiring some fitting to get just right. Sounds like that Pin Broke, or the notch is worn.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The first question I have is how did it get bent? That ejector can be removed and straightened. To fit a new one you will need to make a very precisely located cut on one mounting pin with a small round needle file for the roll pin to engage. A lot of guys will try to drill through the frame and ejector pin rather than locate the correct spot and file the groove. And most of them end up with a broken drill bit stuck in their frame. A few manufacturers are installing them with no pin using Loc tite. Personally I would rather have it pinned into the frame.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The first question I have is how did it get bent?

Looks like an over-inserted mag, or mag out of spec. Mag or round in the mag hit the ejector from the bottom. This is another area that often needs fit in addition to fitting the pin notch on the front leg. There has to be clearance between the top of the mag (and the top round) and the ejector.

another reason to use quality mags.

-rvb

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Looks like an over-inserted mag, or mag out of spec. Mag or round in the mag hit the ejector from the bottom. This is another area that often needs fit in addition to fitting the pin notch on the front leg. There has to be clearance between the top of the mag (and the top round) and the ejector.

another reason to use quality mags.

-rvb

The "replacement" part from RIA is already notched. I too think the root cause is magazine related. I cannot prove that. What I plan to do is replace all magazines that I have and start over. I find it hard to believe that the mags can be overinserted. The mag should hit something else before it hits a small piece of steel (IMO). I do believe that not all mags are created equal and have the same quality, but specs i am not sure. I may get out my caliper tonight and measure the dims of all the mags.

Anyone have, or know of the drawings/specs for 1911 mags to use for referenece?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Did you save the FTE case? Anything abnormal about it?
    I bought some once fired brass a couple of years ago I had trouble with ejecting.
    Use a magnifying glass for damage on the ejector, look for any metal left in the groove and excess powder residue/dirt. Do a thorough inspection
    I don't have any cheap mags and any mags that are "open, bent, or worn" get stripped and trashed.
    I don't take chances, shortcuts, on any gun I depend on. I feel the same about ammo.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I know this is a Necro-Post, but I just had this happen with my Springfield today. Didn't experience any problems when I shot it this morning, but after taking it down and trying to reassemble, I was having a hell of a time getting it back together. Finally discovered that the ejector was bent ever so slightly "out" - like maybe 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch, tops. I was using a variety of mags... Wilson Combat, ACT, and some unknown really cheap 7 round mag. Functioned just fine at the range, but obviously something was going wrong. I was able to very carefully and slowly get it straightened out and get the pistol back together, and it seems to be working right now, although I will need to take it back to the range to check function before I trust it enough to carry again. I hadn't thought about the mag(s) causing the problem. I think I will just be pitching the cheap "generic" 7 rounder. I think it's more likely to be the cause of any mag problems, although I also used it in my RIA with no ill effects to it after cleaning and reassembly. If I continue to have problems, then I think the Springer will have to go back to the mother ship.

Why would a magazine cause it to bend out though? Seems like if anything it would bend it up?

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I had mine do the same thing. I've not been impressed with the small parts on RIA guns and so I replaced it with one from EGW. The hardest part was getting a drill bit of the correct size to notch the ejector for the pin.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had mine do the same thing. I've not been impressed with the small parts on RIA guns and so I replaced it with one from EGW. The hardest part was getting a drill bit of the correct size to notch the ejector for the pin.
    No, it was my Springfield that had the bent ejector. The RIA did fine... that's what kind of surprised me, but I still don't know what would have caused it to bend like it did.

Top Bottom