• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Posting to help a friend out. Don't know anything about it other than what is posted. Anyone have any idea the value?

1905 Smith & Wesson .38 special pre model 10 military and police model. Nickle finish. Only contents are the gun as shown in the pic. Bottom of the grip marked 197108*

He is looking to sell it, but would like to get a good idea of the real value of it. Thanks INGO!

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Rough finish, non-original stocks: $200-250. I know, he's probably expecting more.

Glocks are going to be like these Smiths in a few decades: Millions made, everyone wants a ton for them, but are disappointed when the actual value is lower than they thought. :(

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A revolver guy friend of mine looked at the picture and said the cylinder latch looks more modern than it should. Me, I just think it's purty. ;)

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Assuming the nickle is not OEM. I have been told as low as $250 and as high as $750. I have no idea, that is why I am asking. I know nothing about reviolvers and even less about vintage :) As far as too modern, all we have are the markings on the gun. I was told this could have been made all the way to late 20's early 30's.

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I've been shooting / collecting S&W revolvers for over 20 years and I hate to say it but Your looking at the low end. It's been re nickeled for sure. The grips aren't the originals just not much collector value. Plus are you sure it's 38 special? Not 38 S&W? Just a shiny shooter. If you get $250 I'd be surprised. Ask the guy who told you it was worth $750 if he wants to buy it and watch him squirm hehe.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    No S or C? I used the S&W forum for my M&P I got at the 1500 this past weekend and learned quite a bit in less than 30 min.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Is the a star after the S/N on the butt of the gun ? It may indicate a factory refinish ,Hammer and trigger /never plated by S&W ,do S/N show up on bottom of barrel under ejector, and on back of cyl? If refinished and mismatched you wouldI be lucky to get $200. I know we all think we have hit the jack pot when we find an old gun,The truth is they need to be near 100% with box or a rare model .That is not what you have .And Do check that it is a 38 Special not a S&W 38

Win52C

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Those guys WRITE the books on Smith and Wesson's....One of the best forums out there (present company excluded ofcourse.)

Indeed. I was a member over there for 5 years. Before I found INGO. Tons of useful information for all things S&W :)

also, there would be no prefix on this gun 1775usmarine. It's from before they used prefixes. I'll look up production date tonight but I'm sure someone else will beat me to it :).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yep, oops on the flat latch. Somewhere along the line of looking for my j-frame, I could swear I saw that pre-1966 models were flat-latch, but they left out (or I didn't see) the 1950 part.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Is the a star after the S/N on the butt of the gun ? It may indicate a factory refinish ,Hammer and trigger /never plated by S&W ,do S/N show up on bottom of barrel under ejector, and on back of cyl? If refinished and mismatched you wouldI be lucky to get $200. I know we all think we have hit the jack pot when we find an old gun,The truth is they need to be near 100% with box or a rare model .That is not what you have .And Do check that it is a 38 Special not a S&W 38

yes it is a star after the #

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom