• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I have been looking to buy a new rifle but I am not sure 100% what I want yet. I was leading towards a 223 but a buddy of mine told me about a .17 HMR? I was thinking the 223 for coyote hunting and a cheaper gun to shot. I have a 30-30, 30-06, SKS, AK47 and a M1. So its not like I don't have a gun for coyote but come on who doesn't need another gun? I guess I am just looking to see what everyone thinks of the .17 HMR?

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I've got a Savage in .17HMR the thing is a tack driver, however ammo is expensive. I would look into the .17 mach 2 much cheaper to shoot. Of course it you want a .223, now would be the perfect excuse to buy an AR, while you still can.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'd go with the 223 if you want to hunt coyote.

Get the 17 HMR if you want to hunt squirrels and might take a coyote once in a while.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I love my Savage 93R17 which is .17 HMR. It is definately a tack driver. You could easily take a coyote with it. But the bullet is light weight so you would pry have to worry a little more about the wind speed where a .223 or .22-250 you wouldn't.

If you're just looking for a reason to get a .17 HMR I say go for it. You won't be disappointed except for maybe the scope that comes with the combo from Savage but mine was replace with a Nikon.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    17 hmr is definitely an accurate round, and great for squirrels etc. but it is nominal at best for coyote. too light and fast, breaks up on impact. I know too many people who have tried it and were not happy with the terminal ballistics on medium game. .223 gives you more range for a sure kill
    get both, and do your best to lower the coyote population

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom