17 ambulances (and counting) heading to Hanover Central High (Cedar Lake, IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a cigar lounge on the main highway about a mile away from a local rural high school. The have counted 17 ambulances go past the store heading to the high school. A lady who works in the shop next door to the cigar lounge has a child at that high school, she got called by the school and told that her daughter was being taken to the hospital.

I'm at my office in Merrillville (1/2 way across the county from that school) and there is a fire station behind my office. The 2 ambulances from here were dispatched down to the school a few minutes ago.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    UPDATE:
    Hanover Central High School dismisses early due to odor
    Story
    Discussion
    By Times Staff | Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 11:00 am | No Comments Posted

Students at Hanover Central High School were dismissed at 11 a.m. today because of an odor of undetected origin, a spokesman from the administration office said.
    No other information is available at the time. Check back with nwi.com for further details as they become available.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    When I read the title to this thread, I thought to myself holy crap, I hope this isnt another school shooting or anything involving guns, thank God!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The Chicago news media is now reporting this.

"TOXIC FUMES" of "unknown origin" have caused a lot of kids to become sick.

No talk of this being intentional. It could be a sewer gas back up, it could be something made in the chemistry lab, it could be something that a kid brought to school and released. At this point there is absolutely no information about the source.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Some thing tells me the Dem's will seek to ban farts now!! :D

well, under cap and trade, you aren't too far from the mark.
    Nope. Both of you are wrong. Don't you realize it "TAKES A VILLAGE" to raise a child? The Dems will use this as an excuse to socialize motherhood and begin the process of feeding all the kids breakfast and lunch, comprised of organic and free-range foods that are high in fiber and low in sugar.:cool:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Chicago's Channel Nine News is reporting:
    CEDAR LAKE, Ind. - There are reports of students overcome by some sort of exhaust fumes at Hanover Central High School. The high school is located at 10120 West 133rd Street in Cedar Lake, Indiana.

WBBM radio is reporting that up to 60 students may have been overcome by the fumes. This information is not yet verified.

Cedar Lake is about 10 miles south of Crown Point in Lake County, Indiana.

More details to come.
    Copyright © 2010, WGN-TV, Chicago

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Chicago's Channel Nine News is reporting:
    CEDAR LAKE, Ind. - There are reports of students overcome by some sort of exhaust fumes at Hanover Central High School. The high school is located at 10120 West 133rd Street in Cedar Lake, Indiana.

WBBM radio is reporting that up to 60 students may have been overcome by the fumes. This information is not yet verified.

Cedar Lake is about 10 miles south of Crown Point in Lake County, Indiana.

More details to come.
    Copyright © 2010, WGN-TV, Chicago

Wonder if it was someone idling an engine by the air intakes?

Another speculation is if a newer school bus did a parked regeneration by the air intakes. There have been issues with acrid smoke being produced.
    (I'm in the HD diesel industry.):dunno:

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    What does the media mean by the use of "overcome by the fumes". That means, to me, that they are knocked down and out. I don't think that is really what happens but maybe I'm wrong.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Does the School have an indoor pool? pool chems may have spilled.

Honestly I don't know if they have a pool or not. I don't have any kids in that school district or even that compete in sports against their teams so while I drive past that school I don't know what is inside.

Here is the latest version from the local newspaper:
    By Times Staff | Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 12:05 pm | (8) Comments
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

CEDAR LAKE | Forty-seven people from Hanover Central High School were transported to local hospitals Friday morning as a result of an odor of undetected origin in the school, according to officials on the scene.
    The remaining students were dismissed at 11 a.m., a spokesman from the administration office said.

Ambulances as far north as Highland and Schererville responded to the scene, transporting multiple people at a time to area emergency rooms, according to reports.

Twelve students ranging in age from 14 to 19 years old and one adult are being treated at St. Anthony Medical Center emergency department in Crown Point, according to the hospital's Web site.

None of the students had been admitted to the hospital as of noon, according to the Web site. Treated symptoms included various degrees of nausea, vomiting, headache and shortness of breath.

Nine people are being treated at St. Margaret Mercy Healthcare Centers in Dyer, spokeswoman Linda Barenie said.

School administrators have scheduled a news conference for 2 p.m. to discuss the situation.

Check back with nwi.com for further details as they become available.​

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Steve44
    Top Bottom