• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    Growing up, dad and big brother used 12 gauge for bunnies. Dad got me a 16 gauge single-shot H&R so I could tag along. I've never been proficient with it. Now as I look at guns I see 12's and 20's and 4-10's... Is 16 gauge the ugly step child?

There are rounds available for it, so it must not be obsolete (yet). Will I have a museum piece soon?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 16ga H.C. Higgens bolt gun.
    It was a gift. I never shoot it, but I do have ammo.

No reason not to shoot it, but for some reason I don't.
    It's still a neat little shotgun.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have one too, and like the 28 it just happens to be one of the gauges that has fallen out of favor, and in my opinion, recoil in the old single shots probably had a lot to do with it. My grandpa as an adult, had a 12, grandma had her mom's 28 but preferred the 20 grandpa bought her shortly after they were married. Since 28's were hard to come by, dad started out on grandma's 20, and when it was time for his own gun, they got him a 16, since he didn't care for the recoil of grandpas single shot 12ga duck gun.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    I have one too, and like the 28 it just happens to be one of the gauges that has fallen out of favor, and in my opinion, recoil in the old single shots probably had a lot to do with it. My grandpa as an adult, had a 12, grandma had her mom's 28 but preferred the 20 grandpa bought her shortly after they were married. Since 28's were hard to come by, dad started out on grandma's 20, and when it was time for his own gun, they got him a 16, since he didn't care for the recoil of grandpas single shot 12ga duck gun.

So recoil is not the issue it used to be? Are loads different? Or padding? When I was younger, dad's 12 could put me on my can.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So recoil is not the issue it used to be? Are loads different? Or padding? When I was younger, dad's 12 could put me on my can.

Newer guns, some anyway, are designed for reduced recoil and/or reduced recoil loads. Many reduced recoil ammo options out there these days.

Recoil is still an issue believe me. I'm no pansy but I'm not stupid either. When Indiana opened deer hunting to pistol caliber rifles, I ran out and bought a brand new Marlin 1894 (JM marked) in .44mag.
    My 12ga has not been deer hunting since.

I have a feeling recoil is why they don't sell as many single-shots as they do semi-auto's.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

I think it has a lot to do with disposable income and why we buy guns today. Back then it was a tool to feed the family, very little if any recreational shooting. Today, less for feeding the family and more for sport and/or recreation. Today someone can purchase a "starter" gun such as a .410 or 20ga, and once the child is ready, move them up to a 12 if they want, or just go all out and get the 12 ga, ready or not. Another variable is the pump and auto loading guns which usually are heavier than a single shot, thus absorb more of the recoil. Auto loaders then absorb even more recoil through their actions, making them "way" more comfortable to shoot than a single shot.

I don't know about during his younger days, but during the time I knew him, my grandpa probably went through less than a hundred rounds a year in his shot gun, and about the same for my dad.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    16 ga shotguns were the gentleman's preference for upland game birds in the US. There were several factors that led to it's decline in popularity.

1) Decline in upland game hunting. Fewer people hunt quail, grouse and the like.

2) Skeet rules. For some reason skeet rules were setup for 12, 20, 28 and 410 but 16 was excluded.

3) Ammo technology. Manufacturers invested a lot of time and money improving 12 ga and 20 ga ammo because the volume and competition were strongest in those gauges. The 16 ga ammo did not receive the same investment.

4) Shotgun frames. A 16 ga built on a true 16 ga frame is about 6 lbs and sits in a sweet spot between the 12 ga and 20 ga. To save money and take advantage of volume some manufacturers started building 16 ga on a 12 ga frame which increased the weight and negated part of the advantage of the 16 ga shotgun.

5) Introduction of 3" Magnum 20 ga. Some people think that a 3' Magnum 20 gauge carries the same payload and fills the same niche as a 16 ga. Others would argue that the shot pattern is not the same but the perception still hurt the 16 ga.

6) Steel Shot. Steel weighs less than lead so 16 ga Steel Shot loads were lighter than the lead loads and viewed as less effective. There were also availability issues with 16 ga steel shot shells.

:twocents: Others may have more informed opinions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IIRC steel is 58% as dense as lead and bismuth 85%.
    To make up for the lack of weight per pellet in steel, they go up about 2 shot sizes (which reduces pellet count).
    If steel sucks in a 12, it's gonna suck more in a 16 (esp when hunting larger critters).

I think the 16 holds its own when talking doubles though. Pump/auto/other.........nope.

But didn't Browning put out some BPS in 16 and 28 a while back?

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    My father had a 16 ga single shot. My brother has it now and it hasn't been fired in at least 40 years. I can still remember my other brother almost going on his butt the first time he fired it at probably 8 years old. I have a 20 ga single shot. Was surprised to see 16 ga ammo at Walmart.

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    16 ga shotguns were the gentleman's preference for upland game birds in the US. There were several factors that led to it's decline in popularity.

1) Decline in upland game hunting. Fewer people hunt quail, grouse and the like.

2) Skeet rules. For some reason skeet rules were setup for 12, 20, 28 and 410 but 16 was excluded.

3) Ammo technology. Manufacturers invested a lot of time and money improving 12 ga and 20 ga ammo because the volume and competition were strongest in those gauges. The 16 ga ammo did not receive the same investment.

4) Shotgun frames. A 16 ga built on a true 16 ga frame is about 6 lbs and sits in a sweet spot between the 12 ga and 20 ga. To save money and take advantage of volume some manufacturers started building 16 ga on a 12 ga frame which increased the weight and negated part of the advantage of the 16 ga shotgun.

5) Introduction of 3" Magnum 20 ga. Some people think that a 3' Magnum 20 gauge carries the same payload and fills the same niche as a 16 ga. Others would argue that the shot pattern is not the same but the perception still hurt the 16 ga.

6) Steel Shot. Steel weighs less than lead so 16 ga Steel Shot loads were lighter than the lead loads and viewed as less effective. There were also availability issues with 16 ga steel shot shells.

:twocents: Others may have more informed opinions.
    Wow, that's quite a comprehensive list. Thank you for your reflection on this. What scares me is that it makes sense. So as long as I don't think too hard about it, I can just shoot an occasional clay or frozen pond with it and be happy! :)

Last edited:

Simple Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Kosciusko County
    My father had a 16 ga single shot. My brother has it now and it hasn't been fired in at least 40 years. I can still remember my other brother almost going on his butt the first time he fired it at probably 8 years old. I have a 20 ga single shot. Was surprised to see 16 ga ammo at Walmart.

My son-in-law recently got himself a nice set-up for clays with a 20 ga and so I was compelled to dust the 16 off and try to remember which end to hold. I had NO problem finding cheap shot for it. (apparently no one is hoarding 16 gauge)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    IIRC steel is 58% as dense as lead and bismuth 85%.
    To make up for the lack of weight per pellet in steel, they go up about 2 shot sizes (which reduces pellet count).
    If steel sucks in a 12, it's gonna suck more in a 16 (esp when hunting larger critters).

I think the 16 holds its own when talking doubles though. Pump/auto/other.........nope.

But didn't Browning put out some BPS in 16 and 28 a while back?

The Browning BPS Hunter III was manufactured in 16 ga on a 20 ga frame (which is better than on a 12 ga frame but not ideal).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    As much as I like my setup, I still hope you will that 16 ga. to me. It is such a great gun with perfect balance and simplicity. By the way, half of those shells you have I found at Kmart when they were selling off all of their firearms related items. Good luck finding them at that price again. ;)

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i have 2 16s, a single shot H&R, and a double barreled Ithaca, as for recoil i don't notice it but im recoil numb anyways, a good friend i took shooting loved the 16s i didn't think she was going to give it back.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    For upland bird hunting nothing beats a 16 gauge. I have a 1950's Marlin 90 over/under in 16 gauge that was my first shotgun given to me by my father. 45+ years later it is still my favorite for grouse and pheasant.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have A Ithaca Model 37 pump in 16ga.My dad bought for me for Christmas when I was 14.I bought A slug barrel for it 4 or 5yr later.Over the years I have taken tons of small game and deer with it. In the past I would go to Kansas and Iowa Bird hunting.I always brought my M37 as A back up gun for my 12ga. After the first or second day I would end up carrying my 16ga the rest of the week. Never felt under gunned. What a gun! 45 plus years and still going strong!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Winchester Model 1897 circa 1913 in 16 gauge. When I was a teen this was my all-round gun (yikes if I only knew the value of this gun). Still have it in the safe now.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I own a Wards 16 g. It is side by side with a single trigger. I love it for sheet. I moved to IN from PA where 16 was far more popular than 20, but 12g was King. I hunt in TN where 16 g is very popular. It might be a regional issue.

Top Bottom