• ...and so much more!
  • jessica47201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    Trafalger and Madison, Indiana
    Hey everyone--

Sorry, I'm new, so if this question has already been addressed then I apoligize. But my husband and I are interested in purchasing a 12ga, pump action shotgun for home defense and are looking for some good suggestions. We are looking to spend under $300 dollars, $200 dollars would be even better. We are wondering if we should go with a normal stock, collapsible stock, or a pistol grip. What type of ammo would be the best to keep loaded at the house. We are not strangers to firearms, we own 5 pistols and 3 long rifles, but no shotguns, yet, and we both equally enjoy getting some range time. Any suggestions would be great!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well be prepared for a debate. Your best choice is an Remington 870, or Mossberg 500. You can find a good used one for the price you stated. Persoanly, I would save and buy new. I'm just leary of buying used guns. In terms of what stocm that's really a personal decesion. You need to find what is more comfortable for you. However the safety on the Mossberg is better suited for a straight stock. Where the Remington safety is better suited for a pistol grip stock. Try and find something with a 18.5", or 20" barrel. As for ammo double 00 buck shot. It holds a tight pattern. I would avoid slugs in the home, because there will be serious over penetration. !DISCLAIMER! You will get some that say Remington is better, or some that say Mossberg is better. They are both reliable and accurate. Like I said find what fits you, because you is the only one that needs to feel comfortable with it.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    My recommendation would be a Mossberg 500 with 18.5" barrel. Stock that's up to you on what feels best to you, but I would stay away from pistol grip only and keep some sort of stock if you want a pistol grip. As for ammo I'd recommend 00 buckshot, but the exact load depends on what groups best in your gun. That you'd have to find out on your own.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    pretty much going to be a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 as others have said. I own both and like them both. Do check where the safety is on both when thinking about which you want. Also, check the button that opens the breech to unload the shells without firing them. (Sorry don't know the name.)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    pretty much going to be a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 as others have said. I own both and like them both. Do check where the safety is on both when thinking about which you want. Also, check the button that opens the breech to unload the shells without firing them. (Sorry don't know the name.)

the button you are thinking of would be the slide release. ;)

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello jessica47201,

I agree with the others here. A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 with a shorter barrel, 18 – 20 inches would be your best bet. But you may find you like a 24 inch barrel better. Look at both shot guns and see which one you like the best. Both are very good shotguns. I prefer the Mossberg’s due to the top tang (thumb) safety. Check your local gun shops that you know are good and ask around with the people you know for a used one. The shops may have some used ones that were traded in before deer season. Or someone may have bought a new gun before deer season and have one they want to sell. So many people read about the latest and greatest new shot gun, or anything they are into and go shopping.
    And look at new ones also so you will get the best deal you can find.:yesway:

one more

Rotor Talker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Greenfield
    Welcome

Hey Jessica

I'm not a big expert on types of loads, you would probably want to steer clear of slugs, over-penetration in the house, not a good thing. There will be other folks here that can attest more to what specifically is best ammo nowdays, I have first hand experience treating several shotgun wound victims, and can tell you that any round from a 12 guage is very effective, from slugs to birdshot.

I have a Remington 870, but mine is one of the Wilson Scattergun conversions, Tritium sights, surefire forend, way more than you are looking to spend, but it's a great gun, I have also owned a Mossberg 500 as well, an equally great gun.

You might want to consider a short stock, over a folding, for my own .02, I don't care for the pistol grip, but there are many that do, as always YMMV

Welcome and please don't hesitate to ask more

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I agree with what everyone else said, either Remington 870 or a Mossy 500 will be fine for a home defense gun. I looked at both when I was in the market fora shotgun to use for HD. I ended up liking the Remington better. I ended up with a remington 870 express, I changed out the 28 inch barrel for a 20 inch slug barrel and then added a mag extension tube to it. Now it holds 7 rounds in the tube.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Consider a 20ga shotgun. That's something I'm considering adding to my HD repertoire. I believe it would be sufficient, and a lot easier to control for follow-up shots. It would also be a much more viable option if you decide a pistol grip is appropriate. (12ga pistol grip is for BIG boys, and I don't even think they enjoy it)

AFAIC, DON"T use birdshot, for crying out loud, unless your only fear is your home being invaded by pigeons. Go with a minimum of #4 Buck.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Shotgun furniture and and accessories are primarily preference. I think the ones I use have certain advantages but that is because they are either more comfortable for me or what I put more importance on. Also, don't be afraid to buy a used pump shotgun. There are far less worries associated with a used pump then with other firearms. They are simple and rugged. Used is OK.

I'll give you my suggestions and preferences but realize that they may not be comfortable or right for you. I prefer the Remington 870. I like the safety and slide release locations. The 870 is a better set-up for use of a pistol grip which is also my preference. I use the Knoxx spec-ops stock (now Blackhawk). The recoil reduction is much appreciates. My barrel is a 18.5" fixed improved cylinder. As far as loads, in opposition to conventional wisdom I recommend #1 buckshot rather then #00.

The important thing is to to find out what works for you through either trial and error or the try before you buy method. Which ever you can manage.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hey everyone--

Sorry, I'm new, so if this question has already been addressed then I apoligize. But my husband and I are interested in purchasing a 12ga, pump action shotgun for home defense and are looking for some good suggestions. We are looking to spend under $300 dollars, $200 dollars would be even better. We are wondering if we should go with a normal stock, collapsible stock, or a pistol grip. What type of ammo would be the best to keep loaded at the house. We are not strangers to firearms, we own 5 pistols and 3 long rifles, but no shotguns, yet, and we both equally enjoy getting some range time. Any suggestions would be great!

I would suggest that, unless you are a shooter and used to the recoil of a 12 gauge that you NOT buy a 12 gauge. Even if you are an active shooter and can manage the recoil, a 12 gauge may not be the best choice.

I've been looking over the whole concept of home defense shotguns and I deviate from the crowd with my recommendations. I strongly recommend 20 gauge shotguns with either #3 or #4 BUCKshot, not 00 BUCKshot, and not BIRDshot.

Here are my reasons:
    • First, a 20 gauge delivers at the muzzle 70% of the energy of a 12 gauge; it is MORE THAN ENOUGH to drop a man with 1 shot.
    • Second, a 20 gauge only has 50% of the recoil energy of a 12 gauge; that means faster 2nd shots if more than 1 person is attacking your home and easier to control for smaller adults, teens, women, etc.
    • Third, 00 BUCKshot is roughly equal to bunch of 33 caliber balls, they have been proven to OVER penetrate people, walls and houses and can put your pets, children or other loved one in peril even if they are 2 or 3 rooms away from you. #3 and #4 BUCKshot are roughly 25/24 caliber and are large enough to effectively 1 shot stop a man dead in his tracks, which gun author/master/trainer Massad Ayoob has documented many times, and yet it is small enough to NOT over penetrate walls.

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    What hasn't been said.

Whether you go with Mossburg or Remington, 12 gauge or 20, either of these models have loads of aftermarket add ons that you can use to "fine tune" the weapon to your preference. Buy the best gun that you can afford, tinker with switching out stocks and barrels, adding tactical lights, side saddles and all sorts of other gadgets later. E-bay is a great place to look at aftermarket parts. My personal preference is a Reminton 870 Police Magnum with a speedfeed stock, surefire forearm and a 6-round side saddle, but the wife prefers an 870 express with a pistol grip, d-shaped tactical foreend and a side saddle. The best gun is the one that you are confident shooting.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    20 gauge coach gun. I'm assuming you two aren't too versed in guns? If so, get a gun that is easy to load and fire. It might be a little over the $300 mark, but it would be a great HD gun...

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    What about a semiautomatic shotgun, the marines are using it (Benelli Shotguns | Benelli M4). I spend 21 years in the U.S. Armed Forces and had an opportunity for "real traning". Regarding a home defense weapon, consider a potential situation, your home surroundings and the intruder. In some instances the victim knew the intruder. You may want to have a retainer lawyer who is familiar with the state firearms laws and there are a couple of good reference books. There will always be a Monday morning quarterback to second guess your judgment at the time of fear or distress (especially family members of the intruder). Silence and concealment can be your best friend; sometimes working your shotgun action could give up your location. The weapons suggested by our fellow members are fine choices, but I also owned a semiautomatic. Oother things to consider are: practice, practice and practice with your gun, ike learning how to load your gun blind folded. A a 6 shot shell can give you a nice pattern to slow or disable the intruder. Good luck with your gun procurement and I am not a legal or safety expert, just a tax payer citizen.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    That Benelli M4 is going to be way more than $200.

i'll say. I like my Nova so much that I priced them out. I seem to recall them being about $1200-1400 plus goodies, or else I'd own one.

BTW- is there any semi-auto that you'd trust your life to that is even remotely near the OP's price range?

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm also in the market for my first 12 gauge for HD. I am considering between a Remington 870 and a Mossberg 500/590. Those would be IN the price range used.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Mossberg vs. Remington

You can argue endlessly between the 500 and the 870 and there are tons of threads on the net handling this exact topic. Both are good guns. The 870 has a steel receiver and triggergard. The 500 has an aluminum receiver and a plastic triggergard. That means the 870 is tougher but the 500 is a little cheaper. The 500 has two extractors, the 870 has one. The 500's safety is a little better positioned (in some opinions) than the 870's. The list goes on. Bottom line is that both are good. Handle them both, shoot them both and buy the one you like.

Top Bottom